New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-31 13:18:19

webcoyote
Banned

Re: free 3D Mars Download - www.geofusion.com/MarsDemo

I think you'll enjoy and appreciate (if you have a PC) this free 3D Mars Demo.  It has global imagery and terrain data and allows you to fly around and explore the planet.  This is a lower resolution version of what we have installed in Nation Geographic's Explorer's Hall museum in D.C.  A higher resolution version with inserts will be available soon on CD.

Download is at:
[http://www.geofusion.com/MarsDemo]www.geofusion.com/MarsDemo

enjoy!

Chuck from GeoFusion

#2 2004-04-01 01:49:46

GraemeSkinner
Website

Unforunately its a 32.5MB file, the site does not allow you to reconnect if the server is lost - as I'm on a slow dial up connection it would be unlikely I'd be able to download the file so will have to see what price the CD's come out at methinks!

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-04-01 14:55:17

SBird
Banned

Not to rub it in  or anything but the simulator is pretty darn cool.  It's too low detail to be useful from a mission planing perspective but the ability to swoop around Mars is really neat.

#4 2004-04-18 08:28:33

GraemeSkinner
Website

Thanks Chuck for a quick turn around on the CD - arrived yesterday though I have not had time to play with it yet (still unpacking books from a book buying trip to Hay-on-Wye), will let you know how it runs when I've had a play.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#5 2004-04-18 11:06:37

webcoyote
Banned

Your welcome!
We now have a new 'Trickle Download' option for users with slow modems.  Give it a try.

Chuck -- GeoFusion

Board footer