New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-25 21:31:31

framistan
Banned

Re: How do you feel about going to Mars? - Survey of oppinion about a Mars mission

Hi everyone,
Im writing a paper about whether or not we should go to Mars as a school project and I was hoping I might be able to get some of your oppinions on why (or why not) we should send man to Mars. What would you say to people that think the money should be spent elsewhere or that we should limit our involvement with mars to robotic rovers? I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

#2 2004-02-26 05:11:14

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: How do you feel about going to Mars? - Survey of oppinion about a Mars mission

Sending man to Mars is the only sensible way of getting real answers about what the planet is like, rovers can only do so much before you have to put a scientist onto the surface with a set of tools and say "get on with it". We only have to look at some of the discussions currently running on these boards to see that we need more interaction with the Martian landscape than rovers can give us. Instead of seeing pictures, however good, someone standing on the surface can pick up an interesting object, take it to the lab and tell us what it is, rather than guessing what the object looks similar to.
If we put off exploring other planets with manned missions until all Earths problems are sorted we'll never go anywhere, and don't forget that research into space exploration gives a spin off into the technology we see used on Earth. Its not as if the entire amount of investment into space goes entirely into space never to be seen again.
Money is always questionned when talking about sending manned space missions, but why? If whilst investigating another world we are able to solve problems on Earth does this not justify the expense (to be honest though, I just want to know whats out there).

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-02-28 14:30:55

Dook
Banned

When John F. Kennedy, in his famous speech, stood before the world and proposed that we go to the moon 'not because it is easy, but because it is hard' and meant that we were just going to send a robot lander there and that was all?  I don't think we would consider that to be anywhere near the achievement of putting an actual human footprint there.

#4 2004-02-28 15:56:42

Rxke

Population in the USA currently spends twice as much money on their pets than on space... I'm not saying you should get rid of your pets, but if you say space-money should be spent elsewhere (poor people etc...) think about this.

Space science gave us satellites, that made it possible to do longer time weather prediction, for instance, wich has been of mayor value for agriculture worldwide...
That's only one example.

The Russians used their orbiting spacestation to look (among many other things, of course) at their big country, that is in many places almost uninhabited, and were able to spot forestfires before they got too big to control.

Space is a technology-driving force.
In the beginning rockets couldn't haul a big load into space. The first (very expensive) microchips that were built, got bought up by NASA, for replacing their bigger(heavy) electronics. In doing so they kind of created a whole new market for miniaturisation... The computer, laptop,cellphone you use... are all far descendants of that technology.
It is still expensive to send heavy things into space, so scientist keep trying to make mini-devices. Like the APXS on Spirit and Opportunity. These were very big instruments, so very costly, still a lot of scientists need them. In building the mini APXS they got cheaper overnight etc etc...

A lot of the science done for manned missions are all about creating a livable environment, creating clean energy... Those things, after a while get outside the labs and into the hands of normal people. Solar cells, fuel cells, were 'space-age' stuff, now you can buy them, 'normal' companies manufacture them.
And i could go on and on...

#5 2004-03-03 22:52:11

Yang Liwei Rocket

A manned mission is a great idea, it will help greatly improve the space industry

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#6 2004-03-04 00:13:49

sethmckiness
Banned

One very crucial part to any new space undertaking is the developing new technologies.  These new technologies will trickle down into our every day lives.  Many people take that for granted.  People don't think about Velcro, Microwaves, MRIs, etc etc. as gifts from the space program.  Yet, everyone has something that had velcro.  Microwaves are in use almost everywhere.  MRIs have saved thousands of lives.. probably in a year.  More importantly is how small a portion of the budget the space program actually is.  Compared to the military budget which is well over 200 billion dollars. 

So, with all that to give me further ammunition.  We should have gone to mars 25 years ago.  So, we need to get there now, not for footprints and flags, but to stay... PERMANENTLY!

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#7 2004-03-04 20:43:27

Alt2War

I fully support and endorse manned space exploration, especially manned missions to mars.

I do not think that Nasa or some other form of government beaurocracy can or will accomplish such goals in a meaningful, timely, or economicly sound manner.

I would arue that the best bet for real and sustained human exploration will only come from the free markets.

If public money is to be be spent, it should be spent in a manner that will assist in the creation and fostering of these new space exploration industries.

To value government spending on space exploration in the hopes of preserving "true" or "real" science is silly, as Nasa has done little or no real science with it's manned missions when compared to their cost.  Currently to show for our endevors is a derelict in orbit and a space bus that wont fly.

Our government shouyld be looking for ways to subsidize and support private capitalist ventures into manned space programs.

#8 2004-03-08 00:58:15

Yang Liwei Rocket

the idea of a space-station orbiting mars is a very good idea.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#9 2004-03-08 09:29:46

dicktice

the idea of a space-station orbiting mars is a very good idea.

Yes, and it already has a name: Phobos.

#10 2004-03-17 14:51:22

berty

Although I am excited by the promise of any space exploration related activities including robot probes (as against none at all, which I'm sure many politicians would be in favour of as space unfortunately isn?t a long term vote winning topic!)  I don't agree that we should abandon any plans for manned missions. On the contrary I believe that we should budget and plan for both options to run in tandem and support each others activities. Data gathered by probes and rovers etc can then be used back on earth and by following manned missions.

In my opinion we should allow the robot probes to do what they are best at, ie:- gathering data, and allow people to do what they are best at, ie:- hands on exploration and use of human intuition to study interesting aspects of their surroundings and sort out problems and challenges which crop up unexpectedly. Heath Robinson lives and will be sorely needed on future manned missions!

If the first Hubble repair mission hadn't been manned it would never have succeeded. For instance take the double door closing incident; if it hadn't been for the astronauts lateral thinking abilities, the doors would never have closed properly! In fact in face of exasperated comments from the astronauts, mission control eventually said, ?Let the boys get on with it? or words to that effect. Even designers of robot probes admit they sometimes become quite frustrated with them when for instance objects or even plants are not detected by cameras, even though the people concerned can see them quite plainly! Or the rover becomes stuck and they have to help it!

Of course, manned missions are going to be more expensive and risky than robot missions, but throughout our history, people have been willing to take big risks because the possible gains are potentially huge, as with Mars when seen in the context of the centuries to come. After all the money spent isn?t destroyed, but circulates around the economies involved thereby bringing growth and jobs.

The case for manned missions is so obvious that I cannot understand why people are so against it? Their objections seem to deny the curiosity of the human spirit and the need for exploration, adventure and the joy and exhilaration of discovery.

:bars2:

#11 2004-03-24 00:24:30

J. Richard Jacobs
Banned
Website

The reasons for going to Mars and/or the moon are many and varied.  Most of them are valid and some are not.  One reason I don't see posted is that it is a way of ensuring our survival as a species.  I don't have the time to go into all the details surrounding that remark at the moment, but if you would like to contact me by email, please, feel free to do so and I would be happy to enter into a brief dialogue with you on the subject.  In the meantime, let's just say that spreading out through the solar system is just the first tiny step in our destiny as a species, with more exciting things to come.  I hope you do well with your project.

J.  big_smile

The speed of the brain is inversely proportional to the speed of the mouth squared.

#12 2004-03-24 21:10:10

earthboundmisfit

The machine I am using to post this has more computing power than the entire ship that took man to the moon and back. 

We could have went to Mars a long time ago.  The truth is, there is no reason why we could/should not go to Mars or any other planet/moon.

#13 2004-03-24 21:57:40

Ad Astra

Humans on Mars is all about life.  Right now, we are curious about our selves and our universe.  Is life a natural part of the universe's evolution, or is life on earth truly unique and special in the galaxy?  Within our solar system, Mars is the best place to search for life and answer our question.  If it turn out that Martian life once existed but went extinct, we may learn to appreciate life on earth a bit more.

Eventually, the earth will not be sufficient to sustain life.  Humans will need additional worlds to spread our life and our civilization to.  In a far-sighted sense, Mars is the future of humanity.  Hopefully we will learn the lessons from Mars's past to build a living future on the red (formerly blue) planet.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#14 2004-03-24 22:00:07

Bill White

The reasons for going to Mars and/or the moon are many and varied.  Most of them are valid and some are not.  One reason I don't see posted is that it is a way of ensuring our survival as a species.  I don't have the time to go into all the details surrounding that remark at the moment, but if you would like to contact me by email, please, feel free to do so and I would be happy to enter into a brief dialogue with you on the subject.  In the meantime, let's just say that spreading out through the solar system is just the first tiny step in our destiny as a species, with more exciting things to come.  I hope you do well with your project.

J.  big_smile

Just curious. What causes you to believe this? Please be assured I am sympathetic.

#15 2004-03-24 22:47:32

stratoghost

I had a class that required a research paper. I decided that mine would be on why we should go to Mars. Thats the reason I am here. I wrote the paper and I still think it needs more work. I got a "B" in the course. I hope you did well on yours. I had always wondered why we, the US, had not gone to Mars after the Apollo project. I think I know why now, politics and presumed public opinion. I still think someone, or group of people, should go. I really don't care if it is government sponsered or not. It would probably be better if it were not. There is too much bureaucratic overspending that takes place even in the tiniest of projects. A private group would take safety seriously, to ensure the success of the mission, and would keep costs down by using conventional technology.

Again, I hope your paper turned out well.

#16 2004-03-30 16:42:21

framistan
Banned

Thanks for the help everybody. I think the paper turned out well, and aparently so did the teacher (got an A  big_smile ) Maybe I will post the paper later if there is any interest, but you have to remember this is an 11th grade english paper, so dont set your hopes too high...

Thanks again.

#17 2004-04-01 12:14:57

Rxke

I'm sure something like that will be very welcome here, so don't hesitate to put it up! (you might ask Adrian where would be the best place)

#18 2004-04-09 00:09:50

stratoghost

Please post it, I am interested in what you have to say!

Board footer