New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-19 03:27:33

Michael Bloxham

Re: MarsSociety.org dull - Needs more promotion, better image

Hey, there doesn't seem to be much really interesting content at MarsSociety.org. In-fact, its really boring. Maybe we could do a few things to jazz it up. I'm thinking some more technical info on Mars Direct, like an interactive tour or something... Argh! Mars, Mars Direct, and the Mars Society are the neatest things on earth! We should be a little better with our presentation. We need to present it as though we are promoting a new religion... Winning people for Mars...

MarsSociety.org should be more than just an events post for the society. It should be an advertisement banner where random surfers get hooked.

Mars is awesome, and we can get there soon!... That is what MarsSociety.org should be about.

Right?   big_smile

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#2 2004-01-26 12:03:35

Gennaro

Something like this perhaps? smile
[http://www.exploremarsnow.org/]http://www.exploremarsnow.org/

As I started visiting MarsSociety.org I was none the less also after luscious colour illustrations and plans for the architectural designs of future Mars settlements. There are some ideas for Roman style construction in The Case for Mars, that could be worthwhile to pursue and develop.
Also, I'd like to see some sort of Mars Atlas/maps presented with regional names, including hypothetical terraformed versions of Blue and Green Mars.

#3 2004-01-26 12:42:13

Rxke

Hey, that site won an award last year, didn't it? (New Scientist, American Scientist, i forgot...)

it's cool, but i always feel sorry for dial-up pepole when i see things like that...

i reaaly thought Marssociet.org was a good site when i first visited it, it's a lot of volunteers work, and they're always on the lookout for new talent, so maybe this is your chance?

#4 2004-01-27 07:10:14

Gennaro

Oh, you're right. Had forgotten that dial-up people even existed. tongue

Would gladly volunteer if I knew of a way to contribute. Alas, I'm not trained as an architect but as a history teacher. Now I almost think I made the wrong turn somewhere.
But who knows, things might change...  :;):

#5 2004-01-27 11:52:34

Adrian
Website

While I have immense respect for the webmasters of the MS website, because I know exactly how time-consuming and difficult it can be to maintain such a large site (and I'm not just talking about newmars.com), I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement.

The website and the homepage need to be redesigned to be more attractive and accessible to both new visitors and society members. It needs a complete graphical overhaul and it has to be updated more regularly and substantially than it is now.

*If* I had about two weeks of completely free time, all the software I needed, all the media I need in the right formats, a broad design brief and give a free rein, here's what I would do:

Change the webhost to Pair.com (more reliable and faster). Install a content management system like PMachine or Moveable Type. Design a site-wide template that adheres to web standards (XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.0) and introduce RSS feeds of all regularly updated areas. Give chapter and group heads limited permissions to create and alter their own pages within the website. Give a number of people the ability to submit news stories to the front page. Introduce a database that contains lists of contacts and addresses.

The key thing would be to make it easier to change the website. Currently, if you want something on the website you change, you have to email the webmaster and he has to change it. Clearly this is a pretty awful state of affairs that's prone to delays. Instead, the relevant people should be able to update the website themselves. Furthermore, a website based on proper standards such as XHTML and CSS with a modularised backend such as MT or Pmachine will allow the webmaster to enact sweeping changes without having to do much more than change a template.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#6 2004-01-29 23:41:22

Michael Bloxham

[=http://www.exploremarsnow.org/]Explore Mars Now

Wow. Now how come I've never seen it?

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#7 2004-03-24 06:25:20

MarsDog

Looks like ambitious, comfortable design;
Have to wonder what happens if a small meteor hits the large common area.
Reliable, redundant, resilient system ?
What if one of the astronauts becomes a serial killer ?

Board footer