New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-11 14:15:29

cassioli

Re: Calculating martian eclipses

I have a veeeery old Astronomy program (dated 1993!!!), but it is very useful to easily calculates oppositions and conjunctions between every Solar System object. (It's named Expert Astronomer, is a commercial program, and I payed around 20$ for it  , but it's great.)

I made an approximate calculation of march Martian Deimos eclipses, and I obtained these results:
(DATE time separation altitude)
2/mar/2004 9:33PM 37.2' 17 deg
4/mar/2004 3:54AM 19.1' 69 deg
9/mar/2004 5:20AM 53.0' 79 deg
10/mar/2004 11:42AM 1.2? 8 deg

I used 1.95S , 5.53W coordinates for Opportunity position, but I think they are not enough accurate, as the graphical simulation of the eclipse... actually does not show an eclipse, but just a Sun-Deimos proximity.
Where could I find a REALLY accurate Opportunity position?

How can I know the exact date/time of already happened&photographed Martian eclipses?

Luca

P.S.
Maybe AstronomyLabs, an old freeware program can also do this calculation, but actually I didn't try it ( I remember it could for Earth/Sun/Moon eclipses).

#2 2004-03-11 15:36:10

Yang Liwei Rocket

Re: Calculating martian eclipses

I recall a program, it was like a space encyclopedia on CD-rom called redshifts I think Focus media made it?

You had a star chart that would show you the planets form earth but an extra feature was that you could pick a view of the night sky from the moon and mars.

I'll see if there's a site where you can download something like this.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer