New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-02 09:29:48

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: Hecates Tholus - Evidence of water flow?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3525821.stm]BBC News are reporting the possible evidence of water flowing on Hecates Tholus in the past, anyone thoughts on this (or is it old news and I've missed the link sad )

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#2 2004-03-02 09:31:43

GraemeSkinner
Website

Here's the article in case the link goes dead...

Close-up pictures taken by Europe's Mars Express probe of a volcano on the Red Planet reveal water could have flowed on its flanks in the past.
Images of the 5,300m-high mountain, Hecates Tholus, taken 275km above Mars, also show signs of cratering on the slopes caused by volcanic activity.
The caldera, a circular depression from which magma erupts or is withdrawn, can be seen in detail in the pictures.
Scientists say numerous collapses have re-shaped the caldera over time.
Lines seen radiating outwards on the picture are thought to be flow features related to water.
The pictures were taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on Mars Express, the European Space Agency probe that is now in orbit around the Red Planet.
The volcano's caldera has a maximum diameter of 10 km and a depth of 600m.
This compares with a diameter of 60km and a depth of 3km for the caldera on Olympus Mons which - at around 22km in height - is the tallest volcano in the Solar System.
Hecates Tholus is the northernmost volcano in the Elysium group which lie on the northern plains.

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-03-02 10:55:27

Rxke

Little tip:

For people having problems easily (slow loading) accessing this link, change the /1/ in the address to /2/  (esp. if you're from outside Europe, this way it changes to an 'international' server, or so i've been told... The /1/ links are identical, but mainl used for service inside the UK...)

Now the article... It's a bit skinny, isn't it? Exactly why do they think it's water and not lava?

#4 2004-03-03 00:46:35

GraemeSkinner
Website

Now the article... It's a bit skinny, isn't it? Exactly why do they think it's water and not lava?

I thought there may have been more information on the ESA website, but it looks to be almost the same article. They do have a high resolution [http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/mar … 95-300.jpg]image of the area however, plus some 3D images on their site.
Perhaps they'll elaborate on their suggestion at a later date.

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#5 2004-03-03 15:48:02

ERRORIST

They look like geysers to me. Very similar to the flowing mud pits out west in Yellowstone park.Except much much larger!!!

#6 2004-04-04 08:46:24

GCNRevenger

Do you have any optical or radar topographic images to back your statement up Errorist?

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer