New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-27 14:46:12

Phobos

Re: New Star Trek Movie?

Someone told me today that a new Star Trek movie is in the making and that it's going to be released in December.  It's going to be called Star Trek: Nemesis.  I hope it doesn't turn out to be a boring flop like Star Wars II.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-06-27 16:40:53

Palomar

*Hmmmm.  I actually enjoyed "Star Wars II" [the actor playing Anakin Skywalker is such a stud, even if I am old enough to have been his babysitter, *lol*]..."Star Wars I:  The Phantom Menace" was, IMO, a flop.

As for the new Star Trek movie coming out:  Not interested.  Even if William Shatner's in it, he's too old.  If he looked like what he did in the 1960s ::and:: in the first Star Trek movie of 1979, I'd be drooling in my popcorn at the local multiplex.  But he's not.

Of all the Star Trek movies I ever enjoyed [ST the Next Generation never clicked with me], the first and last were the best [with the original crew in them]; the others were basically a sci-fi variation of the Keystone Cops Meet Klingons and Environmentalists.

Besides...Vulcans don't get as much respect and appreciation as they should.  So there!  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-06-27 23:52:35

Phobos

I went to see Star Wars II when I wanted to blow the world up with a giant bomb, so it's possible it's actually better than I remember.  I think they could have done a better job with some of the costuming though.  Obi Wan looked foolish with that beard.  And that whole bit with his dying mother was a bit on the melodramatic side.  Even though I think Anakin had a red light sabre when he started dicing up his mother's captors.  Gotta love the symbolism with those light sabres. smile

#4 2002-06-28 10:17:15

Palomar

And that whole bit with his dying mother was a bit on the melodramatic side.  Even though I think Anakin had a red light sabre when he started dicing up his mother's captors.  Gotta love the symbolism with those light sabres. smile

*What caught my attention was the fact that everyone else in the film (the humans, at least) had aged...except for Senator Amidala.  Here we have Anakin with the hots for her since he was 8 or 10 years old and she already a woman in the "Phantom Menace."  Ten years have supposedly passed and she looks exactly the same in II as she did in I, while "Ani" is all grown up; now they look like they're exactly the same age.  Uh huh.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2002-06-28 18:54:30

Phobos

*What caught my attention was the fact that everyone else in the film (the humans, at least) had aged...except for Senator Amidala.  Here we have Anakin with the hots for her since he was 8 or 10 years old and she already a woman in the "Phantom Menace."  Ten years have supposedly passed and she looks exactly the same in II as she did in I, while "Ani" is all grown up; now they look like they're exactly the same age.  Uh huh.

Yeah, it wasn't very convincing the way Lucas tried to portray the aging of the characters.  If Queen Amidala used anti-aging cream made out of Jar Jar Binks the movie might have been a little more tolerable and believable.   I don't know why they just didn't use new actors for all of the roles.  They did use a new actor for Anakin so why not use new actors for the other roles?  So what do you predict will happen in the next installment?  I think that kid who saw his father lose his head is going to get revenge on that Jedi with the purple light sabre.  I'd almost bet my life that scene will be in there somewhere.

#6 2002-06-29 08:42:46

Palomar

Yeah, it wasn't very convincing the way Lucas tried to portray the aging of the characters.  If Queen Amidala used anti-aging cream made out of Jar Jar Binks the movie might have been a little more tolerable and believable.   I don't know why they just didn't use new actors for all of the roles.  They did use a new actor for Anakin so why not use new actors for the other roles?  So what do you predict will happen in the next installment?  I think that kid who saw his father lose his head is going to get revenge on that Jedi with the purple light sabre.  I'd almost bet my life that scene will be in there somewhere.

*In the next installment we'll see Anakin going over the Dark Side for sure; Senator Palpatine [spelling?] will be key in that.  Amidala will be pregnant with the twins [Luke and Leia].  By this time, she will either have left or try to leave Anakin, who has become abusive; she will leave either when she senses he's on the verge of going over to the Dark Side or already has.  Perhaps the twins will be born before she can escape, and either Anakin has her killed, or she flees before he can; regardless, the twins are eventually separated and she dies or is killed before Leia grows to womanhood.

A very young Han Solo will be introduced into the mix, perhaps subtly.  We'll see more of C-3PO and R2D2.  Perhaps at this point we'll see Obi-Wan Kenobi go into exile, now that his very strong and formerly prize pupil has become Darth Vader and has put a price on Kenobi's head; Yoda does the same.  The Jedi Knighthood has been severely damaged and fragmented by Anakin's betrayal of them.

As for that kid you mention; his father was a Boba-Fett [if I'm misspelling some of this stuff, beg pardon] type of character.  I bet this kid grows up to be ::the:: Boba-Fett we knew in "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back."

--Cindy

#7 2002-06-29 15:04:31

Phobos

As for that kid you mention; his father was a Boba-Fett [if I'm misspelling some of this stuff, beg pardon] type of character.  I bet this kid grows up to be ::the:: Boba-Fett we knew in "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back."

For sure, and I think we're gonna see Boba-Fett blow away that high-ranking Jedi Master that wasted his father. 

A very young Han Solo will be introduced into the mix, perhaps subtly.  We'll see more of C-3PO and R2D2.  Perhaps at this point we'll see Obi-Wan Kenobi go into exile, now that his very strong and formerly prize pupil has become Darth Vader and has put a price on Kenobi's head; Yoda does the same.  The Jedi Knighthood has been severely damaged and fragmented by Anakin's betrayal of them.

I don't like the way some characters from the old episodes are being introduced into the news ones.  The whole thing with R2D2 and C3P0 being invented by Anakin seems  overly contrived to me.  Han Solo is just some guy that Obi-Wan and Luke met in a bar by random chance.  I don't really think there's a good reason for introducing him unless there's some scene between him and Jabba.  In any case, if he's in there I hope it's very subtle and he doesn't end up becoming a first-man or whatever it's called at Amidala's and Anakin's wedding.
In any case, I hope Jar Jar Binks takes some fatal blaster fire early on in the movie.

#8 2002-06-29 15:23:29

Palomar

Phobos:  I don't like the way some characters from the old episodes are being introduced into the news ones.  The whole thing with R2D2 and C3P0 being invented by Anakin seems  overly contrived to me.

*I think it was "just" C-3PO who was invented by Anakin.  And yes, that's overly contrived, considering he was supposedly a little kid in a slave colony who builds this intelligent robot [who also speaks very differently than he does] -- yeah, right.

Phobos:  Han Solo is just some guy that Obi-Wan and Luke met in a bar by random chance.  I don't really think there's a good reason for introducing him unless there's some scene between him and Jabba.  In any case, if he's in there I hope it's very subtle and he doesn't end up becoming a first-man or whatever it's called at Amidala's and Anakin's wedding.

*Erm...you must really have found "STII: The Clone Wars" to be a boring flop!  Did you fall asleep toward the end of the movie?  wink  Amidala and Anakin got married in this movie; toward the end, on her home planet, by a huge expanse of water on a sunny afternoon; she was wearing a lacy headcovering, and she and Anakin were exchanging vows [inaudible to the audience] with a man looking like a minister presiding.  Han wasn't there.  smile

Phobos:  "In any case, I hope Jar Jar Binks takes some fatal blaster fire early on in the movie."

*Lol!  Actually, I thought he was tolerable in this movie.  A little Jar-Jar goes a loooooong way, and a little Jar-Jar did make my heart grow a bit fonder for the quirky character.  But there was enough of him in the movie.  Personally, I liked the stormy water world with those tall, slinky characters in the brightly-lit spheres best of all the "worlds."

The one character I absolutely HATE in both the Phantom Menace and Clone Wars is that blue thing on Tattooine that looks like an ardvark with big wings, and is dressed -- and talks like -- Danny DeVito doing a Bad-Ass Mechanic character.

Lucas has forgotten, I think, that sexual tension and tongue-in-cheek/wry humor work best in his movies...including characters which AREN'T overly exaggerated.

--Cindy

#9 2002-06-29 18:37:19

Aetius

Oh C'mon! I LOVE Watto!

My favorite line of his (from 'Phantom Menace'; I don't have a great desire to see 'Attack Of The Clones' until I buy it on DVD):

"There you go again, waving your hands around like that! What do you think are, some kind of Jedi?"

#10 2002-06-30 05:54:30

Phobos

Erm...you must really have found "STII: The Clone Wars" to be a boring flop!  Did you fall asleep toward the end of the movie?    Amidala and Anakin got married in this movie; toward the end, on her home planet, by a huge expanse of water on a sunny afternoon; she was wearing a lacy headcovering, and she and Anakin were exchanging vows [inaudible to the audience] with a man looking like a minister presiding.  Han wasn't there.

Oh yeah, I remember now.  I think I was too busy thinking about all of those opportunities that that evil Jedi had for dishing punishment to Yoda.  Anyways I didn't like it that Yoda was so easily matched by a henchman of the Emperor, even if the henchman was a talented student.  It seems the Emperor probably has a better mastery of the force than anyone else if he's able to keep this henchman who successfully challenged Yoda as a mere subordinate.

*Lol!  Actually, I thought he was tolerable in this movie.  A little Jar-Jar goes a loooooong way, and a little Jar-Jar did make my heart grow a bit fonder for the quirky character.  But there was enough of him in the movie.  Personally, I liked the stormy water world with those tall, slinky characters in the brightly-lit spheres best of all the "worlds."

I absolutely hate Jar Jar.  And it figures that Jar Jar is the one that brought the Empire into power!!  He really deserves to be at the business end of a blaster now.  Yeah, those tall, gray aliens that were manufacturing the clones were by the far the best aliens introduced in either episode i or ii.  They felt as though they belonged in a Star Wars movie, unlike Jar Jar who belongs more in a Mickey Mouse cartoon.   

Lucas has forgotten, I think, that sexual tension and tongue-in-cheek/wry humor work best in his movies...including characters which AREN'T overly exaggerated.

I think you hit it on the head.  The new movies do to much character exaggeration in lieu of actual character development.  I did find it odd though how Obi-Wan made that *dead serious* comment about how no politician can be trusted.  Does Obi-Wan believe in a representative democracy?  Maybe he's an anarchist. smile

Oh C'mon! I LOVE Watto!

My favorite line of his (from 'Phantom Menace'; I don't have a great desire to see 'Attack Of The Clones' until I buy it on DVD):

"There you go again, waving your hands around like that! What do you think are, some kind of Jedi?"

haha, I like that line where where Obi-Wan tells Annakin that he's going to be the death of him.

#11 2002-06-30 12:33:15

Preston
Banned

My first impression was that Watto was the best actor in Ep 2-- when Watt meets with Anakin to talk about his mum.

#12 2002-06-30 21:08:04

FILMIST
Banned

Someone told me today that a new Star Trek movie is in the making and that it's going to be released in December.  It's going to be called Star Trek: Nemesis.  I hope it doesn't turn out to be a boring flop like Star Wars II.

If you don't mind reading a SPOILER, you can download the entire script for STAR TREK: NEMESIS from Drew's Script-O-Rama (www.script-o-rama.com ).

#13 2002-07-01 17:25:29

Phobos

If you don't mind reading a SPOILER, you can download the entire script for STAR TREK: NEMESIS from Drew's Script-O-Rama (www.script-o-rama.com ).

Oh man, don't throw that kind of temptation at me. I don't have enough self-control to keep from looking at it for half a year. smile  Anyways, I had no idea they'd release scripts before the movie was released, are they smuggled out or something?
smile  If you've read the script can you say if there's Romulans in it?  I did see a trailer and I thought I saw a Romulan in there but I'm not sure.  The Romulans never got much attention in the Star Trek universe, and I think it's about time they did!

#14 2002-07-02 10:37:29

Palomar

If you've read the script can you say if there's Romulans in it?  I did see a trailer and I thought I saw a Romulan in there but I'm not sure.  The Romulans never got much attention in the Star Trek universe, and I think it's about time they did!

*Really!  They're the sexier, randier versions of Vulcans!  tongue

As for the Klingons, a man posted some time back to a newsgroup [which had nothing to do with Star Trek and etc.; the subject just came up] his amusement at the idea of these smelly barbarians being capable of manned space flight.  He said, "Wouldn't the average Klingon just totally lose his cool at the slightest irritation and demolish the control panel?"

--Cindy

#15 2002-07-02 16:53:43

Phobos

*Really!  They're the sexier, randier versions of Vulcans! 

As for the Klingons, a man posted some time back to a newsgroup [which had nothing to do with Star Trek and etc.; the subject just came up] his amusement at the idea of these smelly barbarians being capable of manned space flight.  He said, "Wouldn't the average Klingon just totally lose his cool at the slightest irritation and demolish the control panel?"

--Cindy

The Klingons are a lot like the human race if you think about it.  The only reason we ever got into space in the first place is because of either militaristic motivations or reasons of "national honor."  I'd argue that of all the races in Star Trek, we're more like the Klingons than any other race, even more so than those impossibly altruistic humans in Star Trek.  I can easily see how a culture like the Klingons could achieve spaceflight. smile  Anyways, I haven't seen many episodes where a Klingon totally loses his temper when he/she is on duty.  They seem to reserve that for when they're off duty, unless you insult the captain. smile

Board footer