New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-17 09:17:14

Palomar

Re: Mars (word association)

*Did you know that:

"In early Roman history he (Mars) was a god of spring, growth in nature, and fertility, and the protector of cattle..." 

Interesting article here; it's helped me brush up on my mythology:

[http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/mars.html]Mars

I've been concerned for a while about Mars, as a colonized planet, pandering to the war image.  If a U.S. colony were established on Mars, isn't it likely the "mascots" for all schools would be "Warriors" or "Swords" or "Lions", etc.?  And wouldn't that just be the start?  Some folks here previously have mentioned Roman clothing and architectural styles on Mars...erm, I'm not really "hip" for that (might encourage the war image thing).

Of course, there are many names in different languages for the 4th planet; are they, too, tied in with war imagery, etc.?  I don't know. 

What do you think the chances are that colonies on Mars (Western based, at any rate) would consciously or unconsciously "slide" toward "living up to" (either in fantasy or in reality) violence, war-like tendencies, etc.?  I hope not, but given the seeming human proclivity towards the more base aspects of human nature and emotions...

Just wondering. 

I prefer Mars as god of spring, fertility, and moo-moo cow protector.   :;):

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-02-17 09:32:50

Alt2War

Wars are always faught over bread.

Seeing red 24/7 won't help with the violent tendancies.

Already mars' tendancy to gobble up robots has given fodder to those who have overactive imaginations.

#3 2004-02-17 10:10:02

replicant7
Banned

I guess it will be up to the dolphins to pick up the pieces... once the human race has drowned in its own poisons...and after a few more million years of evolution, to then go on and colonize the universe......peace to dolphin-kind.

every day is a lifetime

#4 2004-02-17 23:56:04

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

Board footer