New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-22 22:17:56

Bill White

Re: Secondary radiation & - "daughter" particles

Radiation dangers are considered by many to be a show stopper for a Mars mission. Robert Zubrin recently sent a firm letter to the New York Times to correct what he said was a serous over-estimation of deep space radiation dangers to a human crew.

We have measured various forms of radiation that exist in deep space although more work needs to be done. What has probably gotten very little attention is what happens when a metal spacecraft encounters cosmic rays and other forms of deep space radiation.

I was lead to this subject by this quote:

>> Radiation inside the ISS, and the now defunct Mir, is caused when the fast, heavy ions that make up cosmic rays collide with the aluminium hull, releasing a shower of secondary particles into the living quarters. <<

[http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/0210/msg00433.html]http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/0210/msg00433.html

= = =

Based on this observation, it seems to me that building deep space human habitats out of plastics, composites and other materials that are composed of atoms with small nucleii is perhaps a necessary course to follow for the protection of astronauts.

Is this a legitimate concern, or not?

#2 2004-01-23 11:02:12

Pendragon
Banned

I have another question along these lines.

I know there has been the idea of using water to shield the passengers, but would this have any effect on the water (ex. heat)?

#3 2004-01-24 19:10:02

Shaun Barrett

Even if the water used for shielding did heat up, and I'm not sure that it would to any significant degree, I don't think re-radiating heat into the intense cold of space would be a major problem.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer