New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-23 11:06:27

Ian
Banned

Re: Look at this website that I found

Take a look at this weblink. I think that these people are anti-science and would not want anything that's related to science to be funded by the governmeny [http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pag … e_01132004]http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pag … e_01132004

#2 2004-01-23 12:47:30

jadeheart
Banned

I don't think they're anti-science, just anti-spending-tax-dollars-on-anything-that-doesn't-directly-benefit-the-american-people.

I do think that any gov't 'luxury' program like NASA is going to have to go the extra mile to justify itself in times of big debt and deficits (like now).  On the other hand, it is just a drop in the bucket compared to other gov't budgets.  While I don't have hard evidence, I would wager that DoD wastes far more money every year than is even budgeted for NASA.  These folks should be going after the big wasters first.  There are much bigger fish to fry in other parts of gov't.

Everybody has different opinions of what constitutes waste in gov't.  I personally would only consider cuts to NASA AFTER I see cuts to things like subsidies and tax breaks to corporations.  (Things that some people would defend as 'necessary for a healthy economy.')

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#3 2004-01-23 13:03:45

Ian
Banned

I agree on one part. I think that the DOD does waste money. I know that the federal government has been spending more money there than on social and economic and education programs. I know this from a pie chart that I saw in the National Consitution Center. It's one of their interactive exhibits.

Board footer