New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-20 13:40:50

Ian
Banned

Re: Why Space exploration shouldn't be just for the ri - Why spaceexplorationshoudn'tbefortherich

I don't think that space exploration will be much of an interest to the public if space agencies keep allowing only the rich to go up into space. I think that this is part of the reason why a lto of people aren't interested in space exploration.

#2 2004-01-20 17:45:07

Ian Flint
Banned

Re: Why Space exploration shouldn't be just for the ri - Why spaceexplorationshoudn'tbefortherich

I agree with you to a point, but...

Let's say Britney Spears or Ben Afleck become space tourists.  Just think of all the people that would interest.  Dennis Tito was neat and all but how about this headline:

"Britney Spears Caught Nude on the ISS!!!"

Loyal fans want to be able to do what their idols do so this might bring launch costs down a bit.

#3 2004-01-21 12:45:32

Ian
Banned

In ancient Greece at the times of Plato and Aristotle, people said that only the rich people had the leisure to do science and that was a big mistake in the past. After that happened, almost no one did science in Athens. Athens became a city whose citizens were slaves. I don't want the same mistake to happen again.

#4 2004-01-21 12:59:39

Ian
Banned

I think that the Republicans are behind just letting the rich go into space while not allowing people who have enough merit to go into space when they have had a passion for space exploration all of their life.

#5 2004-01-21 19:45:07

Hazer

There are probably thousands of qualified inviduals.  But you must remember that they only have a few shuttles, little infrastructure and high launch costs. 

I think that the Republicans are behind just letting the rich go into space while not allowing people who have enough merit to go into space when they have had a passion for space exploration all of their life.

Rich people usally have earned their money through honest means.  Ian, I can see where you're coming from-I think you have a great desire to go to space, and that is why you insist on space access not being just for the rich.
The agencies have nothing to do with sending rich people up in space.  The only rich people in space have been sent there by RUSSIANS-who gladly accepted twenty million dollars for the trip.

Ian, don't count on winning the lottery.  With all the money you might spend and never win, you could start to invest and play the stock market.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#6 2004-01-21 21:15:17

Ian
Banned

Hazer, do you have any proof that it's the Russians that have intentions to send only the rich people up into space? I didn't hear anything about whether or not the Russians were sending people up into space for money. All I knew was that space tourism industries were going to send people into space for a whole lot of money. That's what got me "annoyed".

#7 2004-01-22 00:43:28

Hazer

Hazer, do you have any proof that it's the Russians that have intentions to send only the rich people up into space? I didn't hear anything about whether or not the Russians were sending people up into space for money. All I knew was that space tourism industries were going to send people into space for a whole lot of money. That's what got me "annoyed".

Dennis Tito=first tourist in space.
Through SpaceAdventures, he got to go stay on the International Space Station after paying about twenty million dollars.
Me selling you a long limousine ride and a stay at a very expensive hotel isn't discrimination.  It's a simple exchange of goods and services. 
The trick is letting the limousine company or a competitor build a metaphorical Greyhound Bus.
Really though, you've got to realize that they have very little to work with, and very high launch costs.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#8 2004-01-22 14:58:34

Ian
Banned

I have an idea about space tourism. If 500 people each with 5000 dollars go up into space. That would give the space tourism people a lot of money. 500 time 5000=2500000 dollars. That would give them a whole lot of profit and it would give them money that they could contribute towards the space program where they do space tourism.

#9 2004-01-23 11:36:05

Pendragon
Banned

Ian, to answer your question, all space tourists are flying on Russian space craft.  They aren't selling seats on the shuttle.  And the US government has no buisness dealings with the Russian Space agency due to Russia selling nuclear tech to Iran (how accurate this is is debatable).

Board footer