New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-20 12:08:21

Hazer

Re: Noise and Data - Radio waves and other things

Personally, I have always thought that the SETI crowd are a bit wrongheaded.  It is highly unlikely that they will find anything at all by listening to radiowaves from deep space.

Our data systems are based on ones and zeroes, or states of on and off-if you like it that way.  We know nothing about potential extraterrestrial's data systems-or on what band of the spectrum they transmit-if at all.  What if they transmit data using cosmic rays-or encoded bursts of gamma radiation?  Messages from across the void of space are likely to be interpreted as static-unless by some obscenely improbably chance, they happen to develop or have developed an interface that is compatible with our antennae.

We're like indians, trying to send smoke signals to a man over the horizon-who is watching for semaphor signals.  We see white objects waving, and think it to be some sort of bird.  He sees smoke clouds and thinks it a forest fire.
Did I mention that our smoke signals are in Navajo and his semphor flag-waving is in Greek?

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

Board footer