New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-20 10:31:25

Palomar

Re: Individualism vs Community

*I'm bringing this over from the "What does it take to be a good Martian" thread in the Human Missions folder.

RobS wrote:  "I'd be careful about overemphasizing traits that lead to rugged individualism because survival is also dependent on cooperation. A Mars community needs to balance the individual and the collective, and balance them better than Earth has. Excessive individualism can lead to anarchism, just as excessive conformity leads to lack of creativity.

Also, I think the creation of families is essential, eventually, if we want Mars to have a community and society. Perhaps the first decade or two there would be no children, but Mars will have no future if it has no children. People feel more emotional roots to a place where they have raised children or where they themselves were raised. Furthermore, I would not consider parenting skills as irrelevant to survival as a community. Married people live longer than single people, statistically speaking. Having children means making a commitment to community and a long-term vision of things."

*I agree with this, and said so at the other thread.  But I've got a few more thoughts rolling around in my head.

Isn't individualism a response to the demands of conformity always present within a community (especially the more cohesive types of communities)?  There is strength in numbers, right...but what happens to the few who don't "quite fit in"?  I don't mean necessarily the flambuoyant, in-your-face antisocial types (the type who value nothing, are consistent underachievers, who engage in destructive/ chaotic activities out of habit, etc.)...I mean someone who might be quiet, industrious, etc., -but- who is a bit eccentric in different ways, who may be outspoken (like telling the truth or calling things as he/she sees them...ooooo, The Group doesn't like that!), etc.  Don't they run the risk of being ostracized or clamped down on to pressure them back into conformity? 

Also, I've been recalling old Jewish history (calm down!  I'm NOT religious and am NOT interested in injecting religion into this...I'm simply relating an allegedly historical anecdote).  According to the story of Moses leading the tribes of Israel out of Egypt, intercessors among the people were set up to settle disputes, grievances, etc.  I'm wondering how helpful it might be in a Marsian colony to have elected intercessors (3 of them perhaps, as a council) to which troubles could be addressed and a decision handed down for bickering people who can't settle it amongst themselves?

I don't mean to get the "cart ahead of the horse" (we might not get to Mars for another 20 years, right?) and I generally have pledged off discussions like these, but they are questions which have come to my mind.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-01-20 11:20:13

clark

Isn't individualism a response to the demands of conformity always present within a community (especially the more cohesive types of communities)?

Individualism is a result of establishing positions within a group hierarchy. Conformity is the result of the group imposing positions upon the individual to maintain the group hierarchy.

There is strength in numbers, right...but what happens to the few who don't "quite fit in"?

They are labeled, ostracized, excluded, and/or executed. These actions are used to reinforce the group hierarchy, and maintain it.

I don't mean necessarily the flambuoyant, in-your-face antisocial types (the type who value nothing, are consistent underachievers, who engage in destructive/ chaotic activities out of habit, etc.)...I mean someone who might be quiet, industrious, etc., -but- who is a bit eccentric in different ways, who may be outspoken (like telling the truth or calling things as he/she sees them...ooooo, The Group doesn't like that!), etc.  Don't they run the risk of being ostracized or clamped down on to pressure them back into conformity?

Yes.  :laugh:

.  I'm wondering how helpful it might be in a Marsian colony to have elected intercessors (3 of them perhaps, as a council) to which troubles could be addressed and a decision handed down for bickering people who can't settle it amongst themselves?

An election? I guess. Usually choosing a third party, respected by both disagreeing parties is sufficient, and efficient. At least it's enough when it's just bickering.

#3 2004-01-20 11:51:46

Hazer

Hrmm... 
"I'm wondering how helpful it might be in a Martian colony to have elected intercessors (3 of them perhaps, as a council) to which troubles could be addressed and a decision handed down for bickering people who can't settle it amongst themselves."
Not that bad of an idea really, having a council of elected leaders to deal with the small issues.  Of course, it might be helpful to specify that these minor judgements do not constitute actual law, and that they do not establish precedent, beyond an elected judge's taste for reviewing the decisions of past judges-thus avoiding the problems of legal-snowballing.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

Board footer