New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-05-04 10:40:01

Canth

Re: A March on The Capitol

I think the best way for mars and space exploration in general to be pushed in the united states is a rally in the capitol demanding funding for missions now. This shows politicians how many people REALLY care about a cause and are willing to seriously support it and put tons of effort into it. I am not talking small isolated marches by space advocacy organizations, those make the cause look weak. We need one huge rally with people from any and all space organizations in the U.S. The Planetary Society, The Mars Society, The NSS, and others will need to start a massive recruitment and publicity campaign inlist the support of the media and of celebrities. The groups need to unite all their manpower and a lot of their resources to support pro space candidates and gain political support and visibility. Then, during a presidential campain, hold a massive support program for the space supporting candidate. Do the utmost to get the candidate elected (as well as congressional candidates). Regardless of the outcome (up to a point) hold a massive rally and public sace fair in washington during the budget deliberations and get  a lot of money and commitment pumped into a long term space exploration and colinization program. Money will not likely be a problem because the aerospace industry stands to make a fortune if the program succedes and could be induced to support it rather easily with financial contributions. If more celebrities and media personalities can be made to support space exploration it could inlist huge pulic support. Lance Bass' possible flight could begin a trend that should be taken advantage of. If enough active as well as passive support can be raised then we can make it work, it will require 10s or even 100s of thousands of active supporters and millions of passive ones. If space activists settle their differences and move together it can probobly be done.

#2 2002-05-04 13:22:56

Anton Kuratnik

I support that. It would be hard to get all the "marsians" to the capitol city though.

#3 2002-05-04 13:43:54

Phobos

Great idea.  The Space version of the million man march could go a long way in showing and gaining support for space research and development.   We could have all kinds of enthusiastic speeches on the Capitol steps outlining the importance and adventure of space exploration.  If that doesn't work, we could just vote Anton in as Tsar.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#4 2002-05-04 15:04:15

Anton Kuratnik

LOL! hehehe, that made me laugh. You know, making me the Tsar won't be such a bad idea! Yeah, well anyway. Good that you support us.  wink

#5 2002-05-04 15:31:41

Joe Spencer
Banned
Website

A march on the cap isn't a bad idea.  As Anton said though, it would be hard getting everyone to where they need to be.  A different twist on that, however, would be to start local and work up to national....start by organizing state-wide marches on their respective state capitals, simultaneously, around the country.  That would show solidarity, seriousness, organization, and allow people without the fundage/ability to actually fly to the Washington, D.C. area.

It could also be stepped up, and go international...imagine people marching on their respective capitals not only in Albany, Sacremento, etc...but also in London, Moscow, and Paris!

Yes, the local turn-outs would be slightly smaller, but it would work as a great P.R. event, and a motivator for a nation-wide march on Washington.

Great thread you started here!

Joe Spencer
San Diego, CA
Member, The Mars Society

Looking Forward (and upward!),

Joe Spencer
Member, The Mars Society
San Diego, CA

jpspencer79@sbcglobal.net

#6 2002-05-05 13:54:14

Canth

Local marches wouldn't do much as state governments don't have much (basically none) affect on space maney and initiatives. I think international marches and campaining (and voting) for representatives who make space a major part of their political platform would be very effective with local campaigning leading to a larger national effort and wider legislative support. Both of these are necisary to get funding voted in for space exploration. In the U.S. basically what you need is a majority who will vote for any given bill in each house of congress. You also need a president who will at least not veto the legislation you want passed. This would require quite a bit of work but with appropriate planning and participation seems do able.

Out of curiosity is there currently any central political advocacy organization for space, or is it completely fragmented between the various groups. (The three societies NSS, Mars society, and the planetary society.)

#7 2002-05-18 12:22:23

Canth

It would be really great if the mars society along with the planetary society and the nss would organize a support rally in D.C for the space exploration act of 2002. If delivered at a critical moment it could possibly get the bill passed, and open the road to mars.

#8 2002-05-18 13:14:58

Phobos

I agree 100% that there needs to be some kind of visible support shown for the 2002 space act.  This could be our
window of opportunity simply because the legislature is going to be forced to deal with the issue and are thus most impressionable and open to ideas on space exploration right now.  If we wait until this bill gets killed and Congress goes on to more mundane things they won't really have the incentive to pay attention to us.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#9 2002-05-18 23:35:04

Canth

It will be a relitivly small demostration due to the short notice which will also make it hard to organize. I am not sure who to contact but I think we should contact someone up in the marssociety. Do you have any Idea how long it will take before the bill gets seriosly considered, and how long it will take before it comes to a close wether in success or defeat. I do not have extensive knowledge of the legislative process. When I have time I will look it up. I could concievably make a demonstration this summer as I will be in DC. At any other time though school and transportation issues become a problem.

#10 2002-06-24 15:33:00

sollucky

The ideas here are great. We need to set a date for such a march. Getting as many people to go to Washington D.C. as possible and for those of us who can't afford it we can show our support by going to our state capital. Action does speak louder than words this is our action lets speak out.

Dreams are realities yet to be shaped

Board footer