New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-20 07:04:59

Adrian
Website

Re: World Cup Fun

While browsing for information about the world cup, I found a whole shedload of articles making fun about two things: the USA's famous indifference about football (or soccer, as you colonials like to call it  big_smile ) and their idiosyncratic way of describing sports matches and player stats:

A US website headline: "GOAL Mexico 0 - 2 USA. Two soccer points to no score! Landon Donovan top-bodies the sphere into the score bag, and Mexico have a double-negative stat!"

A BBC News article writing a football match report in US sportswriter style: "...The soccer World Cup, a regional show based on Major League Soccer, concludes June 30 at the Grand Series finale in Japorea."

England roster rundown, US style: "Dave Seaman - Goaltender with a .675 save average in last four, the Arsenal Gooners veteran dresses ahead of other netminders James and Martyn and looks for a fourth consecutive shutout. Stats breakdown of just two handling errors with no turnover. In the frame to make all-star team of the World Cup series."

Okay, okay, it's over the top, I know, but we're just getting back at you Yanks for making fun of football all the time!  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-06-20 11:46:45

Palomar

While browsing for information about the world cup, I found a whole shedload of articles making fun about two things: the USA's famous indifference about football (or soccer, as you colonials like to call it  big_smile ) and their idiosyncratic way of describing sports matches and player stats:

Okay, okay, it's over the top, I know, but we're just getting back at you Yanks for making fun of football all the time!  smile

This Yankee isn't much of a sports fan, but I do see your point about calling it "soccer."  Where did that term come from?  It should be called football, since 99.9% of it is played with the feet (and the rest with occasional head hits).  Why American football is called "football" is strange even to me; the only time the ball connects with the players' feet in that game is when they're punting or kicking; otherwise, it's mostly cradled in the players' arms as they're dashing for the goal or is being tossed through the air by hand.

I live in the desert southwest of the USA [New Mexico], a scant 55 miles from the US-Mexican border; El Paso, Texas is a neighboring city.  The recent US vs Mexican soccer game was a big thing around here.  Mexicans almost began rioting on one of the Bridges of the Americas [an official border crossing] when they'd lost. 

It doesn't matter to me.  The only sports I care about are swimming on Mars, ice-skating on Mars, and rocket-belt races on Mars!  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-06-20 12:09:12

Adrian
Website

Well, American Football is more like rugby, if you ask me. And I believe that it's called 'soccer' because it's a shortened version of 'Association' (as in Association Football rules). No, I don't think it's a good reason either  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#4 2002-06-20 14:22:35

Palomar

On a sort-of-related note (UK/rugby/football, not soccer):

Tony Blair is a babe!  big_smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-06-21 10:08:49

Bill White

Germany won fair and square - no ref bashing from this Yank

It was cool though - if the German player's hand had not stopped the shot - the USA would have tied the match early in the 2nd half, and then who knows?

The ESPN commentators were were quick to point out - righfully so - that the "hand ball" was inadvertant, the ball "played" the hand, so no foul.

But, if no hand is located at that particular point in space, then the US gets a GOAL!

Oh well, we still have the LA Lakers. . .

Board footer