New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-09 05:18:43

Rxke

Re: Bush to send Americans to Moon, to Mars! - as good as official ?!?

yahoo

Sorry, thread about this already active, go here instead...

#2 2004-01-09 07:11:24

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

BBC Story!

You're darn right it's official!  Yay! who was it that predicted this?  Josh maybe?  Well thank heaven, we are coming!

The moon is an misfortune; I hope Zubrin will be able to get in contact with Bush and show him the way we need to go.

This is the best news ever!

#3 2004-01-09 07:20:00

Shaun Barrett

The language seems a little ambiguous - encouraging scientists to prepare for the mission in ten years' time.
    You could interpret that in either of two ways, but I suppose it means wait ten years, while we fool around on the Moon, and then start preparing for Mars!
                                            sad

Or am I being overly pessimistic?
                                                 ???

[What am I saying?!! At least we're getting off the LEO merry-go-round!   tongue   :laugh:  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2004-01-09 07:36:59

Palomar

*I'll be looking for a definite date/schedule to Mars.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-01-09 07:54:51

Rxke

Hmmmm, at least i *tried* to redirect you people to the original thread  tongue

I think it's for real. The hearing have been going on for quite a while, and by now 'everybody' is convinced NASA needed a new goal. Of course, with all these long term plans... delays, cost-overruns etc...
OTOH if they start building with a long-term goal, the hardware will be useful for Mars, and every year on the moon will result in more and more voices demanding to go further out. I never liked the 'been there, done that,' rationale, been there, done nothing is more correct, but hey, before we know it could turn into 'we're here, what's next?'

And ISS.... Hmmm... it's getting a reason of existance at last: life support experiments etc.
I'd say, make it gradually more open to tourism and private enterprise while you're at it, let the Russians run part of the day-to-day operations, funded by tourism.... Maybe they can eventually buy it, if USA sees no use for it anymore...
And ESA will be important, too. Deliveries with the ATV will be the only way to get big stuff up, once the shuttle gets the axe...

(Before i start really rambling, better wait till next wednesday...

HEY what a year, 2004, and it's only in its second week!

Board footer