New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-01-06 21:35:32

Mark
Banned

Re: Total Recall Mars scenario a reality? - Domes and colonies on Mars

You know, watching the movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger Total Recall and how on Mars it's been seemingly terraformed to some extent, has a rail system, colonies and domes across certain parts of the planet, it all seemed so far-fetched at the time of the movies release(1989 I believe), but now 15 years later or so, it doesn't seem quite so far-fetched. Personally, I see a scenario much like this beginning to happen or at least in it's early stages within the next 50 years or so, except it won't be quite so developed and will only house scientists and terraformers and the like - and perhaps incredibly wealthy people might be able to go there for a designated period of time for a price. Your thoughts?

#2 2004-01-07 01:26:25

Hazer

Total Recall's scenario is plausible.  I will give you that.
After all, domes are good shapes.  But anyhow, I think that the first human Martians will result from those scientists and terraformers getting lonely on Mars.
It is inevitable.
Total Recall's predictions about "Mutants" is something that sounds...almost prophetic as humans born on Mars will likely be physically different.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#3 2004-01-07 07:45:28

Mark
Banned

Apparently, in the movie, if I'm not mistaken, the deformations as seen on the Human Mars citizens was due to cheaper domes and extended periods of exposure to radiation due to the cheaper domes, something like that.

With the domes, they had windows where you could browse to see the surface of Mars, the expansive deserts and rooms and facilities built into mountains. The windows must've been a very thick, i'm not sure what they would be made of, but they also had emergency shutters that close if the were smashed.

#4 2004-01-07 17:00:10

Shaun Barrett

Mark:-

The windows must've been very thick, I'm not sure what they would be made of ...

How about that neat transparent aluminium (aluminum, for our U.S. cousins) that they have in Star Trek?!!
                                 tongue   smile   cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2004-01-07 17:08:54

clark

I think they mutated because of recycled, substandard air being pumped into their living areas.

How about hollow plastic panes filled with an exotic clear gass compound that will soldify instantly when exsposed to CO2, in any amount. Presto! instant repair, and notification of damaged windows.

#6 2004-03-10 10:54:33

Yang Liwei Rocket

The guy who wrote it is PhilipKDick, he is very good and his writings inspired other films like minority report and bladerunner
mars-base-1-bg.jpg
We still are far behind, and mankind must first have more men in space or have a base on the moon, like a bio-dome , orbiting station or something.
Of course there are those who will say that aliens have already lived on the moon and martians lived on mars. Building a base or town will be great, as long as we don't name it after these crack pot conspiracy people

face.jpg

Other explorers in the past went to the Antartic, built ships to sail to South America, so I don't see how we should be pushing exploration to the limits. It will be a great thing.

[http://www.ozfactors.com/PICTURES/MARS/CITY-MAP.JPG]http://www.ozfactors.com/PICTURES/MARS/CITY-MAP.JPG

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#7 2004-03-10 11:42:57

Bill White

I think they mutated because of recycled, substandard air being pumped into their living areas.

How about hollow plastic panes filled with an exotic clear gass compound that will soldify instantly when exsposed to CO2, in any amount. Presto! instant repair, and notification of damaged windows.

I think they mutated because the writers needed a quick, catchy plot device. tongue

#8 2004-03-10 11:45:50

clark

You have a better way to work in a third breast?  tongue

#9 2004-03-10 11:48:08

Bill White

You have a better way to work in a third breast?  tongue

No thanks, two "waving pom-poms" are enough for me. . .

#10 2004-03-10 11:51:13

clark

Apparently so is objectifying women's physiological attributes. For shame Bill. For shame.  :laugh:

#11 2004-03-10 12:39:15

Yang Liwei Rocket

HAHA!  big_smile

Such a crazy film

LORI No wonder you have nightmares. You're always watching the news.
Quaid and Lori sit down and eat breakfast.
QUAID Lori...
LORI Yeah, sweetheart?
QUAID Let's do it.
LORI Do what?
QUAIDMove to Mars.
She stops buttering the bread.
LORI Honey, do you have to spoil a perfectly wonderful morning.
QUAID Just think about it.
LORI (exasperated, but sweet) Sweetheart, we've been through this a million times. You'd hate it on Mars. It's dry; it's ugly; it's boring! --I mean, really, a revolution could break out there any minute.
QUAID Cohaagen says it's just a few extremists.
LORI And you believe him?
QUAID All right, forget about it.
Quaid clicks on the remote control.
The FOREST PRIMEVAL is replaced by a...PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE TELEVISION.
REPORTER (O.S.)
Do you want to give them independence?
COHAAGEN Absolutely not. Mars was colonized by the Northern Block at enormous expense. Our entire war effort depends on their turbinium.
Lori straddles Quaid seductively, obscuring his view.
LORI Doug, maybe we should take a trip.
QUAID Lori, move.
LORI There's lots nicer places than Mars.
COHAAGEN...and it's ridiculous to think we're going to give it away just because a bunch of lazy mutants think they own the planet.
LORI What about Saturn? Don't you wanna see Saturn? Everybody says it's gorgeous.
Quaid stretches to see around Lori. She playfully leans with him.
REPORTER Any comment, sir, on the rumor you closed the Pyramid Mine because you found alien artifacts inside?
Cohaagen and the reporters all chuckle.

[http://www.tvtome.com/images/people/17/1/76-11512.jpg]http://www.tvtome.com/images/people/17/1/76-11512.jpg

inspired of course by a very good writing by Philip k Dick

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer