New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-20 04:07:41

Rxke

Re: See the 'Race' unfolding - on this constantly updated map!

*THESE PICTURES ARE COMPUTER SIMULATIONS

mera3.jpg

(EDIT 25 dec: Hmmm, looks like there's a problem... Since Mars Exxpress arrived, this picture doesn't load anymore... pity)
(EDIT 27 dec: And it's up again!, guess they just removed the 'Express' tag...)

(EDIT 04 jan: Since Spirit landed successfully, these simulations are for MER-B, from now on...

#2 2003-12-20 04:11:23

Rxke

(Edit jan 04: If you still see MER-A here, hit your 'refresh-button to switch to MER-B)
mera1.jpg

#3 2003-12-20 04:15:33

Rxke

It gets updated every 10 minutes! Great show!

#4 2003-12-20 16:08:12

Palomar

*Hey, Rik, this is fantastic!  Where did you find it? 

Whenever I think of the probes (all of them) heading to Mars, and now so close, a theme song comes into my mind -- "accompanying" their arrival...a rousing tune...

Sad thing is, I can't recall the name of the tune.  It's the one playing in "The Blues Brothers" (1980), when the two Illinois Nazi guys are chasing Elwood and Jake, and go flying off that bridge being constructed...they're in the air, soaring over Chicago (yeah, right)...oh well, maybe the name of it will come to me.

--Cindy

::EDIT:: Just remembered:  "Flight of the Valkyrie," Wagner.  Somehow recalled the name as I'm posting to my Yahoo! group devoted to music (of a different genre).

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-12-24 17:59:27

Rxke

i found the first on Everything Space Messageboards in spaceflight/The Mars race... then messed a bit with the link to see where it came from, and found the second one. (there are two more, but not sso interesting...)

Darn, i won't be able to sleep tonight... Beagle beagle beagle....

#6 2003-12-24 23:22:19

Shaun Barrett

That's right, 'The Ride of the Valkyries', the mythical creatures whose task is to carry the souls of Norse warriors slain in battle to Valhalla.
    A stirring piece indeed. And very suitable too in view of the heroic nature of the work which has gone into this glorious armada of Mars probes!
    Apart from a crewed landing, this is as good as it gets!!
                                                  smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#7 2003-12-27 17:43:03

Rxke

Weird... i checked the second pic, and it looks like the rover is off-course??

#8 2003-12-29 14:50:25

Rxke

Heh, I was not mistaken... Turns out they just did a course-correction (this is normal, BTW) and on the image, Mars is 'in the bracket' again!

Yahoo News

(EDIT: It's ok to laugh, i thought those two spots were some kind of 'target' thingy. Of course its Phobos and Deimos..)

#9 2003-12-30 14:35:04

Palomar

Marsian 911

*Whoo-hooo!  I'm really getting geared up for Spirit and Opportunity!!  big_smile 

"BOULDER, Colorado -- Think of it as the Mars equivalent of an emergency 911 call for help.

Operators of NASA's Mars rovers have established a backup remote site in the event of a natural disaster, malfunctioning ground equipment, or :::even a terrorist attack::: to maintain critical contact with space vehicles as they near the red planet."

I think this is a good (and hopefully UNnecessary) precaution.

--Cindy

:::EDIT:::  Okay, this makes me mad.  We DON'T need this little 2-word phrase becoming a "catch-phrase" and applied to Mars:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet....Idx

My impression is that the article's author is "spicing things up" a bit...do scientists really "spook" this easily?  I doubt it, and it strikes me as a bit of theatricality (yellow journalism).

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#10 2003-12-30 18:34:50

Rxke

MER-A just crossed the 1,000,000 km mark. (Around midnight GMT, dec 30-31)

Make us happy, the fourth, and bring us news of TWO successful landings, please!

#11 2004-01-04 02:24:22

Rxke

jan, 04 04. Spirit ok. Waiting for Beagle.

Board footer