Debug: Database connection successful
You are not logged in.
For SpaceNut re landing legs for Starship for Lunar landing.
Thanks for taking a look at the image Gemini created.
Your post in Landing Legs referred to Wikipedia but did not show a reference.
To save our readers time, please edit your post to show a direct link to the material you are citing.
I am confident you will NOT find that the legs are added AFTER reaching LEO.
I am confident the legs are part of the launch vehicle.
My post was about letting go of that old idea, and instead, configuring the Starship for service as a true "space" vehicle.
If you add the legs in orbitl then they can be as big as GW Johnson recommends.
Please note the large feet! GW has a recommended against typical little flat feet because they can dig in if the vehicle is moving sideways.
PS ... thanks for the links you found to Louis and other member conversations about electric vehicles and electric roads.
Louis was talking about charging vehicles from road supplied power, and not the road sucking power out of vehicles.
I think the induction idea has great merit, because it keeps the power supply infrastructure under ground and out of danger from wind, lightning, accidents due to collisions or other damage that objects above the surface experience.
One other possible advantage might be improved roadway clearing during snow events, but i'm not sure about that. I just assumed there must be some warming of the roadway in the vicinity of the induction coils, but the amount of that waste would be small, because of the expense of electricity at the supply end.
I bring this up because Calliban has proposed an overhead electric supply such as trolleys use. That is certainly a well proven technology, and installation costs would surely be less than an induction coil system under a roadway surface.
(th)
Offline
Like button can go here