New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-31 10:58:37

Palomar

Re: Happy 2004!

*Can't help but notice with awe and shock that an Australian member of New Mars is currently on the Active Users List!   yikes 

Happy New Year to you (you know who you are).  My goodness, it must really be in the weeeeee hours of the morning January 1 for you!  It won't be 2004 for me for another 12 hours and 8 minutes. 

You know, I think we should move the International Date Line to a few miles off the coast of New Foundland!  smile

--Cindy  :;):

P.S.:  New Year's Resolution:  I don't do them.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-12-31 12:04:54

Byron

P.S.:  New Year's Resolution:  I don't do them.

I don't do them either...I actually consider them bad luck..lol..

Happy New Year, everyone smile

B

#3 2003-12-31 22:45:28

Aetius

Happy New Year!

#4 2004-01-01 01:08:46

Rxke

urrhh... Already i feel a hangover coming up

(we Belgians are all the same...)

Happy happy (also the name of a dog a saw todayhappy)

(Jeez;;; insert 2004 in former sentence!

#5 2004-01-01 01:19:12

Josh Cryer

Happy New Year!

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#6 2004-01-01 05:41:41

Shaun Barrett

All right, all right ... I'll come clean. It was me Cindy spotted on the Active Users List at about 3 a.m.!
    My wife and I had been out with friends for a few drinks and a meal and a wander down to the Esplanade at midnight to see the fireworks over the Inlet.
    We know the effervescent Polish guy who owns the restaurant, so we toddled back as he was putting up the shutters for the night and joined him and his friends/chefs/wait-staff for a little private party behind closed doors.
    It was great fun and we laughed and joked and drank to one anothers' good health for a while.
    Ticking over nicely on high-octane fuel (scotch! ), it seemed to be a good idea, upon arriving home, to check out the New Mars site. I wasn't worried what time it was ... nor was I worried much about anything else for that matter!
                                                     :laugh:
    It was a lovely evening!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL !!!       smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#7 2004-01-01 10:47:32

Palomar

*Interesting replies all around.  smile

My New Year's Eve:  Husband took me out to dinner, we went shopping (geez the store was crowded), then for a walk in a park situated in one of the more picturesque (old homes) neighborhood of town.  The park's lights are of the old-fashioned gas-light look, with peach-tinted panels.  Very pretty.  Sky was cloudy, trees are bare; actually a majestic winter's night. 

Fireworks and firecrackers are the choice way to ring in the New Year around here; we were both awakened to hear them being set off en masse at the stroke of midnight (that's right...we turned in early; 2000 and 2001 were exciting, now it's back to the ho-hum turn of the year). 

No alcohol.  Not a moral issue...I just don't like altered states of consciousness!  tongue

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#8 2004-01-01 14:42:20

Mad Grad Student
Website

You know, I think we should move the International Date Line to a few miles off the coast of New Foundland!  smile

I don't mean to nit-pick, but that would be Newfoundland, not New Foundland.  :;): 

I saw the national news recap of 2003 at 5:30 here in the Mountain time zone, is it just me or do they have very bad people selecting events to cover? For example, they mention the Kobe Bryan case, don't about 5,000 of those happen every year (with non-celebrities)? Someone actually said "Though 2003 was the year of the war in Iraq, other events happened as well," No! Really? The only science related item, the Colombia tradgedy of course, didn't even have the right date affixed to it. That is, unless it happened on January 28. ???

Anyway, happy 2004 to all. Perhaps a good New Year's resolution for NASA would be no more Mars probe losses, or an excursion out of LEO for that matter. Then again, you're supposed to make resolutions for yourself, hmm, let me think...

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#9 2004-01-02 15:25:39

dickbill

happy new year all,
I hope the rovers will have more luck than Beagle2.

Board footer