New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-17 15:15:54

kippy
Banned

Re: Combover

Should Robert Zubrin keep the combover or just embrace his baldness?

#2 2003-12-17 15:50:06

jadeheart
Banned

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

certainly a refreshing break after that ugly 'christian double standard' thread.

baldness is as inevitable as humans on mars... i say embrace.  it worked for michael jordan, why not (hairstyle maverick) Bob Zubrin?

of course, Maggie should have veto power on this idea.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#3 2003-12-17 16:26:57

Josh Cryer

Shave it off Zubrin (leave some short fuzz)! You have a nice head! Please! Do it. It'd look so so much better. :laugh:

Man, I recall one of his conference meetings, he hadn't cut his hair in weeks or something and it was all scraggly. It reminded me of my dad, but, boy, was it unprofessional!

Good topic. smile

Looks like embrace the baldness is winning.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2003-12-17 16:59:11

Palomar

*Zubrin's hair?  Doesn't matter to me.  My husband's balding head?  Now that does concern me.  I tell him to combover.

Josh, you've met Zubrin?  You've probably related it in the past and I forgot.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-12-18 02:52:02

Josh Cryer

Nah, I haven't met him, but I've seen videos conferences he attended. He did a couple of NASA ones. Sorry for the confusion! smile

Can't believe you prefer combovers! tongue

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#6 2003-12-18 07:09:43

dickbill

what's a combover ?

#7 2003-12-18 08:07:58

Rxke

I ran around for over 10 years shaved completely bald (lost some of my hair fairly young after surgery)

now since last summer, i let it grow, 'caus everybody is shaving it. Ten to five years ago i at least got some 'hey-alien!' remarks, now it's just another fashion craze. And people think you wanna look younger than you are... (i do not)

(no combover for me,  i just let it grow and go for the  'wisened old man' look, thou i'm only 33...)

#8 2003-12-18 18:39:50

Adrian
Website

I for one believe that Zubrin has reached the point where combovers, or berets, or hats, cannot disguise his total lack of hair. This is no time for half-measures - Zubrin must now embrace his baldness and lead us into the future!  big_smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#9 2003-12-18 20:17:00

Palomar

what's a combover ?

*Somehow my original response to dickbill slipped into the cyber-twilight zone.  sad

Combover:  A man whose hair is thinning on top -- or who is bald -- parts the longer hair on one side of his head and sweeps it up over the top to cover the thinning/balding.

Josh is surprised I prefer this for my husband...but my husband has a few scars on his head (two of them rather noticeable) from his accident in 1984, so it's cosmetically more pleasing to both of us. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#10 2003-12-18 20:19:20

Palomar

I for one believe that Zubrin has reached the point where combovers, or berets, or hats, cannot disguise his total lack of hair. This is no time for half-measures - Zubrin must now embrace his baldness and lead us into the future!  big_smile

*Maybe he could get a powdered wig.  :;):  Those use to be highly in vogue.  Symbolic of sophistication, learning, wisdom, accomplishment.  Who knows, he might rekindle the style!

--Cindy

#11 2003-12-19 02:00:16

Rxke

Yes! And then exclaim "... or i'll eat my wig!" while patting it violently, so that huge dust clouds occur, every time he gets excited!

#12 2003-12-20 02:42:34

Christina

comb-overs are just so denial.

let him embrace his testosterone induced high forehead with pride!

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#13 2003-12-20 03:20:20

Rxke

Yes, show it. He surely is a Brainiac!  (That's a compliment...)

#14 2003-12-22 19:08:55

Mad Grad Student
Website

Perhaps there should be a third choice: "Who cares?" I'd vote for that.

I have nothing else to say except that you should watch Mystery Science Theater 3,000. It's what's on my avatar. Google it, you won't regret it.

:laugh:

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#15 2003-12-22 20:49:57

Palomar

Perhaps there should be a third choice: "Who cares?" I'd vote for that.

I have nothing else to say except that you should watch Mystery Science Theater 3,000. It's what's on my avatar. Google it, you won't regret it.

:laugh:

"In the not-too-distant future,
somewhere in time and space,
Mike Nelson and his robot pals
are caught in an endless chase,

Pursued by a woman whose name is Pearl,
an evil gal who wants to rule the world.
She threw a few things in her purse,
and in her rocketship she hunts him all across the universe.
(Pearl) I'll get you!!!

(Pearl) I'll send him cheesy movies,
the worst I can find, la, la, la.
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
and I'll monitor his mind, la, la, la."

*Great show!  I never missed an episode; lots of laughs.  Crow was my favorite robot.  MST3000 has come up before, a long time ago at this message board.  I wish they'd have continued producing shows, or the Sci-Fi Channel would re-air the "old" ones.

Sorry, don't mean to get too far off topic...

--Cindy

#16 2003-12-24 04:49:02

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Oh yah, and trim it nice and short, like Patrick Stewart:

smiling2.jpg

That's certainly the most professional.  My father already looks a lot like Patrick Stewart; but his hair is all scraggly and weird and ugly looking, not unlike Zubrin on his bad days, minus the comb over.

Yes, when I met him, he looked just as you describe, Josh, but worse.  Still, it was an incredible presentation he gave.

Nice avatar by the way, Mad Grad.  Be ware the power of the Sampo!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Board footer