New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-12-09 06:50:41

wgc
Banned
Website

Re: Send Letter to President - Mars society latest Directive

Generaly I agree with most of the goals of the Mars Society, I've been a member for some time now, I'm also a member of NSS (since it was called the L5 society) and planetary society. But I have concerns that if we press for a commitment to Mars now, we will get nothing.

A Cislunar program may at least put us in the right direction. After all the US really doesn't have much recent experience with conduction operations beyond LEO.

My own opinion is that a sustained Lunar program would put the nation in the right direction, with the best bet for mars being with the JIMO project. A light weight nuclear source coupled with an Iron Drive could be repurposed for Mars operations.

I firmly believe we will see a Mars Landing in the next 20 to 25 years, but it will not be this administration that initiates the program.

I don't have the resources to start  a chapter , however I do maintain two web domains portal.holo-spot.net (click on zones) with something like 300 mb of space . I already post my own opinions on the space program  and have a forum. I plan to put out a voters guide before the next election and am beginning an online science fiction tale called DARKSIDE, were humaity is forced into an accellerated space effort when its threatended by a 150 kilometer astoriod, as the story evolves there's a major discovery on Mars.

I Could start something like an online chapter if I had some direction how to do that.

Just wanted to voice some opinions.

portal.holo-spot.net

#2 2003-12-09 07:22:38

Shaun Barrett

Re: Send Letter to President - Mars society latest Directive

You're very welcome here, Wgc!
    I, for one, look forward to hearing more from you.
                                                           smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer