New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#151 2003-11-21 07:28:51

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries *2* - ...Extraplanetary, deep space, CONTINUED

Byron:  "Actually, the "international" dating system makes perfect sense to me, as it's simply the logical progression of day, month, year.  Why the Americans have to do it differently than the rest of the world is beyond me....lol."

*It makes more sense to do it the British way at least when writing out the date.  I know of at least 3 grammar rules for the U.S. way of typing out dates in letters (for doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc.) -- which of course also makes 2 commas necessary in the sentence when you may already have 2 commas within the text of the sentence itself.  It looks messy.  It's easier to type out 21 November 2003 (no commas) than "Today, November 21, 2003, the patient came in,...."  See?  Oh well. 

Byron:  "Oh well, I'm one of the three people in the entire U.S. that believe that we need to switch over to the metric system ASAP..."

*No!  Egad, no!   :;):

Going back to the SOHO image Echus shared with us...wow, I didn't know so many comets were "out and about."  I occasionally visit the SOHO web site; I guess I should drop in a bit more often.  Yes, I think the sun is eating too many comets; solar indigestion.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#152 2003-11-21 16:56:33

dicktice

Cindy: You're right, as long as Bulgaria is the only other holdout, the United States of America shouldn't allow the rest of the World make you "go metric! Egad, indeed--and Heaven forbid. Now, if some kind soul only would disclose to me, the only one in the MS who seems not to know what "lol" means, I may be able to sleep nights.

#153 2003-11-22 07:53:37

Palomar

Cindy: You're right, as long as Bulgaria is the only other holdout, the United States of America shouldn't allow the rest of the World make you "go metric! Egad, indeed--and Heaven forbid. Now, if some kind soul only would disclose to me, the only one in the MS who seems not to know what "lol" means, I may be able to sleep nights.

A little close to home (literally)

*This guy had his telescope stolen!  sad  Geez.  Well, I hope he gets it back.  The scope itself is a rarity.

Dicktice:  "lol" means "laugh out loud" or, according to Byron (did you not see his response to you elsewhere?), "lots of laughs."  It's also often capitalized "LOL".

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#154 2003-11-22 08:02:34

Palomar

ALMA officially under construction

*Well, glad to read this.

Speaking of large arrays, my husband has promised to take me soon to Socorro, NM, to see the Very Large Array of radio telescopes there.  smile

--Cindy

#155 2003-11-22 08:09:15

Palomar

Question for Mars buffs!  smile

"Can you name the first artificial satellite of a planet other than Earth?"

*If you didn't guess correctly, don't feel bad...I didn't get it right either.  yikes  Hey, I was only 6 years old then...

--Cindy

#156 2003-11-22 09:31:43

sethmckiness
Banned

Why is there a different definition for dormant volcanos on Earth, then Everywhere else..  sorry.. my two cents..

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#157 2003-11-23 15:01:00

Palomar

Looks like a daisy...

*Or a Brown-Eyed Susan.  Lovely photo.

--Cindy

#158 2003-11-24 17:25:08

Palomar

An article about the sun

*Fabulous.  smile  Says the sun "sheds its skin" like a snake.

"Astronomers have discovered a key fact required to understand the Sun's 11-year cycle of activity."

--Cindy

#159 2003-11-25 09:59:34

Palomar

Calling all metal heads!

*Venus has "heavy metal mountains."

Usually I'm not greatly interested in Venus, but this article caught my eye.  Mosh pits, anyone?

"The theory suggests at Venus's hot lower layers any metal would be vaporised and exist as a metallic mist. Only at higher elevations, where it is a little cooler, would that metal condense to form a thin, highly reflective layer on the ground."

*Metallic mist...imagine that.

--Cindy

#160 2003-11-25 19:34:42

jadeheart

interesting... so i wonder if you'd see stratification in conjunction with a temperature gradient... maybe different metals at different altitudes depending on their condensation point.  maybe el dorado exists on venus-- not a mountain of gold but maybe just part of a mountain at a certain altitude frosted w/ gold.

i'd still rather visit mars.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#161 2003-11-25 20:15:34

Gennaro

Hmmm... if we only could terraform the place...  yikes

#162 2003-11-26 07:12:40

Shaun Barrett

Hi Jadeheart!
    For all I know, your gold-plated mountains on Venus could be a reality. However, a quick google shows gold's melting point as 1064 deg.C, while lead melts at 327 deg.C.
    The ambient temperature on Venus is about 460 deg.C. easily hot enough to liquify lead and give rise to lead vapour, but it seems harder to visualise gold vapour being produced under those conditions.

However, for the sake of your grand vision of golden peaks, I hope I'm completely wrong!
                                           smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#163 2003-11-26 07:26:58

Palomar

New Twists on Milky Way's Big Black Hole

*It's a real spinner. 

Another item in the story you don't often seen related:  It takes our sun approximately 1 month to make a revolution on its axis.

--Cindy

#164 2003-11-26 07:33:39

Palomar

Hi Jadeheart!
    For all I know, your gold-plated mountains on Venus could be a reality. However, a quick google shows gold's melting point as 1064 deg.C, while lead melts at 327 deg.C.
    The ambient temperature on Venus is about 460 deg.C. easily hot enough to liquify lead and give rise to lead vapour, but it seems harder to visualise gold vapour being produced under those conditions.

However, for the sake of your grand vision of golden peaks, I hope I'm completely wrong!
                                           smile

*Actually, I hope you are correct about the improbabilities, Shaun.

If we did find there is a good quantity of gold on Venusian mountains, I imagine a way would be rather quickly found to "terraform Venus" all right, i.e. stripping and looting.

[However, I don't wish to get too far off-topic...there is already a thread established in a different folder as regards terraforming Venus.]

--Cindy

#165 2003-11-26 09:51:04

Palomar

Mercury

*"Mysteries of Mercury:  New Search for Heat and Ice."

A really terrific article...a wee bit dated, from 1 year ago.

Discusses Mariner 10, possible return missions, and this important item:  "Mercury?s location makes it inherently important to solar system evolution theories."

--Cindy

#166 2003-11-29 07:54:05

Palomar

*Phobos Shadow Over Mars & Ascraeus Mons:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031129.html

Check out the links as well.  Lots of good information here.  The photo is an oldie but a goodie.

--Cindy  smile

::EDIT::  Within the link above is another great link to Phobos (which I've not seen before at this web site):

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980914.html

It discusses (among other things) moon dust on Phobos:  "Recent photographs of Phobos have indicated that a layer of fine powder estimated to be a meter deep covers the whole surface."

#167 2003-12-01 14:23:49

Byron

Check this out...to think that this might have happened a mere half a thousand years ago...

Asteroid Impact?

B

#168 2003-12-02 06:30:42

Palomar

Check this out...to think that this might have happened a mere half a thousand years ago...

Asteroid Impact?

B

"'Only a bolide could do this,' says Bryant, using a technical term for a sky-bursting cosmic missile. Geologists know such things can happen--a much bigger impact is believed to have ended the reign of the dinosaurs--but no such catastrophe is known in recorded history.

People would notice something like that. Sure enough, Bryant found recorded tales from Australian aborigines and New Zealand's Maori people recounting how, not long before the arrival of Europeans, the sky heaved and split, stars fell, and immense floods swept the land. Aborigine tales told of a huge, disintegrating ball of blue fire shooting overhead."

*Interesting.  smile  In my studies of mythology and comparative religion in the 1990s, I recall many mythological figures of "plumed serpents" and "fiery serpents"...could those have been references to meteors, even a huge cataclysmic meteor?  I believe so.  Some scholars speculate that statements in certain religious literature pertaining to "Lucifer (aka "Phosphorus" -- the "Light or Light-Bearer" as he was known in ancient mythology prior to the advent of Christianity) falling from heaven" refers to a cataclysm.  These "fiery/plumed serpents," this very bright object ("Lucifer") falling from the sky...sure sounds like meteor activity to me (particularly large meteors) -- the long trails of flaming debris, etc.

A former acquaintance of mine was involved in a theorist network which proposed that conditions on Earth were near-paradisical (humanity's innocent childhood) until a great catastrophe befell it.  Afterwards Earth's atmosphere became cold, the land was no longer as productive as it had been (famine), life became very difficult.  This theory is, its theorists suggest, echoed in stories like "the Fall of Mankind" and the "expulsion from the Garden."

Mythology is important; it was the original way of relating history, and I believe holds many keys to understanding the past, the human psyche, etc.

--Cindy

#169 2003-12-02 11:02:01

Palomar

Dusty disc may mean more Earths

*Possibly more similar to our own solar system than yet detected.

--Cindy

#170 2003-12-03 10:05:41

Palomar

www.spaceweather.com

*This web site has some really cool informational links in it, including (but not limited to):  Aurora forecasts; Vandenberg AFB missile launch schedules; photographing satellites (?!...that's an unusual hobby, I'd say); solar wind data; sunspot data; "Daily Sun" (I'll definitely be using this often, after I get my new telescope and solar filter); "List of Potentially Dangerous Asteroids"...and links pertaining to mirages.

It's a real treasure trove.  Enjoy!  smile 

--Cindy

#171 2003-12-04 09:52:02

Palomar

*This is an artist's rendition of "New Horizons" and in what locale it should be a year after its scheduled launch in 2006:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031204.html

Why does it seem like 2006 is such a long time from now?  sad 
It seems time just drags and drags for these cute little beepers to get to their destinations/launch dates!  (And I can't wait for the probe on its way to Titan to get there [January 2005] and start relaying info...not to mention our Mars probes).

As always, lots of interesting links in the article. 

Eeeeeeek!!  yikes

I just realized I'll be 50 years old when New Horizons reaches its rendezvous [in 2015]!  sad  Oh my god...someone catch me...I feel faint...

--Cindy

#172 2003-12-05 08:00:16

Palomar

*Mystery Star:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031205.html

Oooooo, it's so pretty.  smile  A very interesting variable. 

--Cindy

#173 2003-12-09 08:04:11

Palomar

The Lord of the Rings

*...what an understatement.  smile

Closest to Earth in 30 years (last time this close was December 1973; every 30 years due to orbit time). 

It's currently hanging around with Castor and Pollux...I'll be sure and catch this gem in my new telescope, when it arrives.

--Cindy

#174 2003-12-09 08:16:14

Palomar

Uranus carbon monoxide

*Uranus C02; interesting...bombardment by micrometeorites the cause? 

Also comparison with Neptune; article suggests C02 in its (Neptune's) atmosphere comes from its interior.  I wonder why they don't consider the C02 on Uranus also comes from its interior?  Perhaps because of the difference in C02 (intensity) levels between the two planets -- ?

--Cindy

Board footer