New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-29 10:38:31

Palomar

Re: Community Chest Proposal - ...[in response to "Clickworkers"]

*In the Science & Technology folder, in the "Clickworkers" thread, Rxke tells us "Found a German-language article saying they were a bit cash-strapped, maybe I just witnessed their last signs of existence, let's hope not."

I was really sorry to read that.  It's always sad when worthwhile science-related projects like this one are scratching around for money to keep going.  sad 

I'd be great if the Mars Society would set up a "Community Chest" where members (or even non-members) could make donations and the money distributed to projects in need of assistance.  So long as the project's overseers have good reputations and seem "on the level," of course.  This (a donation gift) would also provide another chance of exposure for the Mars Society, so it's definitely a "win-win" proposition.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-29 11:14:04

Rxke

Is it possible to set up the (for now hypothetical) Mars Society chest so that gifts are tax-reductable(sp?)

(Not sure that's even possible in USA, but in Europe you can donate to NGO's etc nd get tax redux on that)

#3 2003-11-29 11:34:23

Palomar

Is it possible to set up the (for now hypothetical) Mars Society chest so that gifts are tax-deductable?

(Not sure that's even possible in USA, but in Europe you can donate to NGO's etc nd get tax redux on that)

*I believe the answer is no, but I'm not 100% certain.  I'm not sure how tax-deductible status works, particularly within a nonprofit organization; I'm not familiar with the working details.

Good question.

Hopefully someone can answer your question. 

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer