New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-11-28 14:19:41

Rxke

Re: Flare Damages Odyssey - One instrument shut down

BBC Article

Solar flares causing havoc not only around  Earth....

#2 2003-11-28 20:06:16

Shaun Barrett

Ah well.
    As long as nothing else goes wrong. I suppose we should be thankful it's not more serious.
                                                 smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-11-29 02:54:52

Rxke

Odyssey has been a fantastic mission up until now. Hope it keeps functioning for a bit longer, though. It's a valuable asset for Mars exploration: as the article stated, it has still a critical mission to accomplish: data-relay for Beagle 2...

#4 2003-11-29 09:49:52

Palomar

it has still a critical mission to accomplish: data-relay for Beagle 2...

*Yes...and hopefully that portion of the mission will succeed despite the damage incurred.

The BBC really has excellent articles; I almost prefer their science coverage to Yahoo!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer