New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2024-07-05 15:21:40

tahanson43206

Re: Spin Launch SpinLaunch Vacuum Launches Centrifuge Launched Mass

For SpaceNut .... re post #100

Your post is using different parameters than I was trying to do. It makes it difficult to follow a discussion if we mix up parameters.

I'll say it again. The onmicalculator web site gives an altitude of 79 miles for the rocket flung at 5000 mph at 45 degrees.

The vertical velocity will drop to zero, but the horizontal velocity is 3535 miles per hour.

Please recast your post in consistent terms so we are talking about the same thing using the same units.

Energy is not lost. It is converted from kinetic energy to potential energy.

Vertical velocity is reduced from it's vector along the 45 degree launch angle, to zero.

What is a vector with a 45 degree angle?
A vector at 45 degrees is the same thing as the hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle. So, assume you have a vertical component and a horizontal component each of one unit. By the Pythagorean Theorem, the hypotenuse, which is the magnitude of your 45 degree vector will be.... (garbled)

So a solution should be available from the Right Triangle Calculator...

home / math / right triangle calculator
Right Triangle Calculator
Please provide 2 values below to calculate the other values of a right triangle. If radians are selected as the angle unit, it can take values such as pi/3, pi/4, etc.

Result
Given c=5000 and ∠α=45°,

a = 3,535.53391 = 2500√2
b = 3,535.53391 = 2500√2

∠β = 45° = 0.7854 rad = π/4
h = 2,500
area = 6,250,000
perimeter = 12,071.06781
inradius = 1,035.53391
circumradius = 2,500
a
b
c

So there may be the answer, SpaceNut....

The starting Y velocity is 3535 and it drops to zero over the flight.

However, according to the ballistic flight calculator the horizontal vector is unchanged, which is why it is still 3535.

(th)

#102 2024-07-05 16:19:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Result in Plain English
5,000 miles per hour is equal to about 2,240 meters per second.

In Scientific Notation
5,000 miles per hour
= 5 x 103 miles per hour
= 2.2352 x 103 meters per second

Earth's orbital speed averages 29.78 km/s (107,208 km/h; 66,616 mph)

How strong are magnets?

2008 article
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26273268/ns/t … -changing/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

Erdgvarp.png

Electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects

Gravity pulls along the 45% angle equally vertically or horizontally slowing it until the amount drops.

test flight details
Suborbital Accelerator at up to 10,000 g and 5,000 mph (8,000 km/h).
previous tests that flew to altitudes of 30,000 ft (9,150 m)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinLaunch

The technology uses a vacuum-sealed centrifuge to spin a rocket and then hurl it to space at up to 4,700 mph (7,500 km/h; 2.1 km/s). The rocket then ignites its engines at an altitude of roughly 200,000 ft (60 km) to reach orbital speed of 17,150 mph (27,600 km/h; 7.666 km/s) with a payload of up to 200kg.

SpinLaunch conducted the first vertical test of their accelerator at 20% of its full power capacity, hurling a 10-foot-long (3.0 m) passive projectile to an altitude of "tens of thousands of feet." This test accelerator is 108 ft (33 m) in diameter, which makes it a one-third scale of the operational system that is being designed

https://www.graphicnews.com/en/pages/41 … nch-system

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang … pinlaunch/

In order to successfully enter low-Earth orbit, a spacecraft needs to reach altitudes of around 300 kilometers (186 miles) with orbital speeds of 25,000 kph (16,000 mph), which implies much greater speeds and heights than SpinLaunch has been able to reach. To get there, the plan is to have the full-scale SpinLaunch system achieve exit speeds of 5,000 mph (8,100 kph), and to then have a working late-stage rocket activate to take the payload the rest of the way into orbit once it reaches a height of ~60 kilometers.

#103 2024-07-05 21:43:43

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #102

Thank you for doing the research that shows what GW Johnson can work with.  The key information I picked up from your quote about the orbital launch, is that the team is NOT planning to wait until the rocket reaches apogee, but instead to take advantage of some of the vertical momentum that is still available.  The 60 kilometers quoted is about 37 miles. That elevation is well below the recognized top of Earth's atmosphere, but well above the densest part of the atmosphere.

According to ...https://www.noaa.gov/jetstream/ionosphere-max

The ionosphere is located within the thermosphere and extends from 37 to 190 miles (60-300 km) above the Earth's surface. It is divided into three regions or layers: the F-Layer, E-Layer, and D-Layer. During the daytime, the F-Layer splits into two layers, then recombines at night.

So, if the quote you found is accurate, the SpinLaunch team is thinking about beginning second stage operation at the base of ionosphere. There is definitely still mass present to impose drag, but that drag will be much less than at lower altitudes.

(th)

#104 2024-07-06 09:24:38

tahanson43206

GW Johnson sent me a view of a solid fuel rocket configured for the SpinLaunch high G situation.  I am currently unable to deliver the file to the forum, but here is where it will go when I am able to perform the needed operations.

SearchTerm:Solid fuel rocket with grain below nozzle opening.

This would actually be a better solution than a liquid fueled rocket, even though the space above the nozzle opening is air.

My reasoning is (a) simplicity and (b) mass

More than half of the volume of the case for the stage will be empty, but there will be no mass allocated to tanks or control equipment.

If the SpinLaunch rocket is made longer, to accommodate the solid fuel space requirements, that change would not impact the drag to be experienced by the vehicle. The swing arm gripper would need to be adjusted to accommodate the length.

In addition, the vehicle would not contain hypergolic liquids, so that hazard would be avoided entirely.

(th)

#105 2024-07-06 13:10:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Atmospheric density and drag are a function of the shape of the nose. We know that atmospheric aerobraking has to do mostly with the diameter of the flat area of the heat shield so having a sharp shaped nose should reduce the heat and drag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

Inclinedthrow.gif

#106 2024-07-06 17:52:41

GW Johnson
Website

Once you are very high supersonic to hypersonic,  the sharp nose vastly increases the stagnation point heating.  The old correlation H. Julian Allen used for warhead entry was Q/A = constant*[(amb.density/nose tip radius)^0.5]*velocity^3 for convective heating.  This model goes infinite as tip radius goes to zero.  That model behavior trend is quite accurate:  experience very clearly shows that nothing sharp survives at entry speeds,  and stays sharp. 

Heating does not vary in proportion to overall drag,  it varies proportional to skin friction drag.  Sharper noses do reduce overall drag,  because they reduce pressure drag.  Heating varies with skin friction drag,  which is a very minor and negligible component of the total nose drag at supersonic speeds.  Pressure drag dominates over skin friction by far,  at such conditions. 

I feel qualified to say those things because my engineering master's degree was in high speed aerodynamics,  to include heating.  The BS that prepped in specialized in aerothermodynamics and propulsion (says so right on the diploma).  I went to work with those degrees and did those very things for a competitive living in the defense industry.

The doctorate I earned late in life,  after the defense career was over and I was doing a lot of teaching and some civil engineering.  I studied manufacturing for it,  but did my dissertation on by how much (and more importantly,  why) ethanol and ether burn more efficiently in piston aircraft engines than gasoline does. It shows up on the dynamometer,  and in flight.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2024-07-06 17:59:48)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#107 2024-07-06 19:55:31

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson... re #106 and topic in general...

The flight duration computed by OmniCalculator for a projectile launched at 5000 mph at 45 degrees is 322 seconds. Apogee is given as 79 miles and velocity at apogee of 3535 mph.

SpaceNut found a reference that indicates SpinLaunch intends to begin second stage firing at 37 miles, so they will have some vertical momentum left, and the full horizontal momentum less that consumed by drag.

My question is: Will a flight that lasts only 122 seconds through the atmosphere do any measurable damage to a strong metal shiny point?

The situation at launch seems to me to be ** VERY ** different from that of a vehicle returning from the Moon or Mars, or even just from LEO.  The projectile is heading through thick atmosphere to thin and then wispy thin atmosphere.

Per your post, it would seem prudent to make the nose cone of a very strong metal with very low skin friction drag. Is it possible the US and other military organizations have sought surface materials for projectiles that will reduce drag and thus extend range?

There appear to be two ways to power the second and third stages: solid and liquid.

The image you created of a solid rocket designed for the SpinLaunch application will surely be of interest to the NewMars readers, when I am able to get it up into view.  I have completed adapting two of three computers to the new environment (all WiFi). The computer where your image is processed is still waiting to be adapted.

I would like to see a comparison of your design for a solid fuel rocket with the liquid design that the animations SpaceNut found indicate might be liquid.

(th)

#108 2024-07-06 20:43:31

tahanson43206

I asked ChatGPT to compare solid rockets and hypergolic liquid ones for the SpinLaunch application.

I am leaning toward supporting the solid rocket design as envisioned by GW Johnson, for the business case on which I am focusing.

The challenge/opportunity is to resupply Dr. Johnson's orbiting refueling depot in the most economic way possible at the greatest steady rate possible.

If an individual sling delivers 200 kilograms to the depot, and a Starship needs thousands of tons of propellant, then the SpinLaunch system must be replicated enough times to deliver the required tonnage in the time frame needed.

It seems to me the solid fuel rocket design will prove most economical to perform at this level.

Comparison of Solid Rocket Motor (SRM) and Hypergolic Liquid Motor under SpinLaunch Conditions

Solid Rocket Motor (SRM)

Advantages:

• Simplicity:

• Fewer moving parts, which translates to higher reliability and lower maintenance.

• Easier to store and handle once cast and cured.

• Survivability under High G Forces:

• The solid grain, when designed properly, can remain stable under extreme G forces, as evidenced by your preliminary sketch.

• No need for complex feed systems, as the propellant is a single solid mass.

• Immediate Thrust:

• Instantaneous thrust upon ignition without the need for complex ignition sequences.

• Structural Integrity:

• Generally robust due to the solid nature of the propellant.

Disadvantages:

• Fixed Thrust Profile:

• The thrust cannot be modulated once the motor is ignited.

• Limited ability to throttle or shut down mid-flight.

• Potential for Uneven Burn:

• Any imperfections in the grain or casing could result in uneven burning, leading to instability.

• Flow and Expansion Issues:

• Under 10,000 Gs, the grain might still face challenges related to its structural integrity and potential deformation, despite being kept below the nozzle exit.

Hypergolic Liquid Motor

Advantages:

• Throttle Control:

• Thrust can be controlled, modulated, and shut down as needed, allowing for more precise maneuvering and mission flexibility.

• Higher Specific Impulse:

• Typically offers higher efficiency (specific impulse) compared to solid rockets, meaning better performance per unit of propellant.

• Multiple Ignitions:

• Can be restarted multiple times if needed, beneficial for orbital insertion and corrections.

Disadvantages:

• Complexity:

• More moving parts, including pumps, valves, and feed lines, which introduces more points of potential failure.

• Requires a more sophisticated ignition system.

• Challenges under High G Forces:

• Spherical tanks are good for handling pressure, but under 10,000 Gs, the hypergolic fuel and oxidizer could separate or stratify, potentially affecting the combustion process.

• The feed systems and tank integrity need to withstand these extreme forces without leaking or rupturing.

• Handling and Safety:

• Hypergolic fuels are extremely toxic and reactive, requiring careful handling and robust safety protocols.

Key Comparison Points

Performance:

• Hypergolic motors generally offer better efficiency and controllability but are more complex and potentially less reliable under extreme G forces compared to solid motors.

Reliability:

• SRMs are simpler and have fewer points of failure but offer less flexibility in thrust control.

Survivability under High Gs:

• Solid motors can be designed to handle the high G forces effectively by ensuring the grain remains intact and stable. Hypergolic systems need sophisticated engineering to ensure that the fuel remains in the right state and location under these conditions.

Conclusion

Hypergolic fuels should be capable of surviving the 10,000 G forces during the spinup phase, given that their physical and chemical stability is maintained, and the containers are designed to handle such stresses. Upon release at apogee, the transition to a microgravity environment should allow for normal fuel flow and combustion, ensuring the stages can perform their thrust mission as intended.

If you have any specific concerns or further details you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know!

(th)

#109 2024-07-07 19:55:20

tahanson43206

Follow up to this evening's Google Meeting of the NewMars.com/forums of the Mars Society...

A lingering concern is that (per GW) the diameter of the opening created at ignition time should be greater  than the diameter of the nozzle. It remains for someone to figure out how to accomplish that. This may be a problem that stops the show until a solution is found because (if I understand GW correctly) the rocket motor is at risk of Unscheduled Disassembly if the shaft inside the grain is too small.

In any case, readers of the SpinLaunch topic are likely to see some innovative thinking.

We have an opportunity for NewMars members to join with kbd512 and GW Johnson in trying to think of a way to plug the nozzle in a solid fuel rocket during 10,000 G acceleration by the SpinLaunch system.

One solution is to just plug the nozzle itself with something that can withstand 10,000 G's but then disappear from the scene. How ** that ** might be done is a mystery.  Please note that in this scenario, the solid rocket motor would have NO opening for the burn, except for the end of the grain near the nozzle. That might work, but that would be for GW to determine.

Another more promising solution came from kbd512 during the Google Meeting. In this solution, a solid rod would run from the nozzle opening all the way through the grain to the igniter at the front of the tube. The igniter would throw/drive/propel the rod out of the motor after the stage is released from the SpinLaunch carrier, which would itself return to Earth for re-use.

A remaining concern, as quoted above, is that the cylinder opened by ejection of the nozzle plug rod is not large enough for the safe operation of the motor.

I am hoping that a member of the forum, or perhaps one of our readers, can suggest a way to enlarge the central shaft before the grain begins to burn to create thrust. 

Just to toss out an idea ... perhaps a material might be packed around the rod when the motor is loaded at the factory, so that it dissolves and exposes the grain.  What this material might be I have no idea.

In any case, it is ** my ** hope that this forum's members can design a solid rocket motor solution for the SpinLaunch application, and that the solution will be superior to the liquid fuel solution that may be under consideration by the SpinLaunch technical committee.

Superiority would come from:

1) Simplicity
2) Reliability
3) Low cost
4) Safety for launch site personnel
5) Safety for anyone who encounters debris from the vehicle that does not reach orbit
6) Mass production capability

The application I am promoting for this vehicle is resupply of a fuel depot that is a gleam in GW Johnson's eye. That would be a station that would provide fuel, oxygen, and other materials needed by a rocket that is headed out away from Earth, and that would provide supplies needed by humans such as water, food and whatever else can survive 10,000 G's for 30 minutes.

The station plane would pass over McGregor, Texas twice a day, and over every other point on Earth that is between the upper (Northern) and lower (Southern) excursion of the plane that passes over McGregor and between Florida and Cuba.  That plane is chosen to insure that launches are directed over ocean water and away from land.

(th)

#110 2024-07-08 06:21:09

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson...

The Omnicalculator provides this set of numbers for the orbital launch:

322 seconds for entire flight, given 5000 mph start and 45 degree angle.

At 1/4 of the time, or 80 seconds, the velocity is 3,958.6 mph, which would be the resultant of X and Y.

The initial velocity components at launch are 3,536 X and 3,536 Y mph.

Good! The calculator gives addtional information at 80 seconds:

Importantly, the height of the snapshot at 80 seconds is 59 miles, so it is high compared to 37 that is my target.

I'll have to iterate through times working backward to reach a height of 37 miles.

In the mean time, at 59 miles high, horizontal velocity is 3,536 mph and vertical velocity is 1,781 mph.

I'll return later today (if all goes well) to look for the values at 37 miles altitude.

Never-the-less, the values at 59 miles may be useful for setting up the spreadsheet to compute a flight for second and third stages. We now have a solution (pending) for the full cylinder solid fuel rocket.

I think a combination of kbd512's metal rod, plus a shell of water enclosed in a plastic shroud might provide the protection to allow use of a full stack of grain inside the stage.

(th)

#111 2024-07-08 14:31:41

GW Johnson
Website

If I understand correctly,  the Omnicalculator is the item I looked at,  which does trajectory predictions in vacuum.  If so,  the lack of drag is exactly why it shows higher altitudes by a long ways.  The velocity at that altitude will also be way too high.  I would expect the velocity lost to drag would be at least 1000 mph,  and I would not be surprised if it were closer to 2000 mph.  And there is still KE to trade for PE.

As for a metal nose tip,  at 5000 mph the stagnation temperature of the plasma that was air would be in excess of 5000 F.  Even tungsten is liquid at that temperature.  Right at the stagnation point on the nose tip,  the metal will get quite close to that temperature,  within a second or so. You are far better off with an ablative nose tip that you can replace,  and there is no problem using a nose tip radius that is nonzero,  to cut down the erosion rate.  People do it all the time.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#112 2024-07-08 18:32:37

tahanson43206

For Gw Johnson re #111

Thank you for additional reminders of the effects of collision with air at elevated velocities.

For our purposes, the details of what happens to the nose cone are irrelevant. The part of the package I am asking/inviting you to address is propulsion after the package reaches 37 miles with a velocity of a value to be given in the quote below.  If drag reduces the velocity by some amount, your spreadsheet will simply adjust to whatever the Real Universe performance may be.

If you offer SpinLaunch a solution that works at 37 miles and 4,371 mph, then they can simply spin faster to release the package at a velocity that is 4,371 mph at 37 miles. That is their problem. 

44 seonds of flight reaches 37 miles. Velocity at that point is 4,371 mph.

Please assume that is the starting point for your solid fuel solution.

The effect of drag is irrelevant for your design. If the 5000 velocity is insufficient to deliver 4,371 mph at 37 miles, then the SpinLaunch system will simply need to increase the velocity.  The goal here is to show that your solid rocket solution is superior to all other solutions that the competition may try.  Please just assume this is the starting elevation and velocity for your burn.

Details from Omnicalculator:

Initial velocity 5000 mph
Angle 45 degrees
Initial height 0
Time of flight in vacuum: 322.3 seconds
Distance in vacuum 316.6 miles
Maximum height 79.1 miles
Time chosen for spot check: 44 seconds
Gravitational acceleration: 9.980 m/s2
Horizontal velocity: 3,536 mph
Vertical velocity: 2,570
Distance down range: 43.2121 miles
Height: 37.3135 miles

It is up to SpinLaunch to put the projectile at that altitude with that velocity at whatever angle is in effect at that point.

It is up to the second stage designer to take the vehicle from there to LEO.  Let's see if the spread sheet can deal with the problem.

(th)

#113 2024-07-10 05:13:27

tahanson43206

This is a place holder for a session with ChatGPT....

We have made some progress in our attempt to compete for the opportunity to bid on a proposal to design and possibly build solid fuel rockets for use by SpinLaunch.

As nearly as we can tell from Wikipedia and similar sources, the SpinLaunch team is thinking of using liquid fuel. We have an experienced solid fuel rocket designer on our team, and while we've been challenged with the reality of the 10,000 G sideways acceleration imposed upon the rocket before launch, we think we have a lead on a possible solution. You've been able to help us to think through the implications of the challenging environment, and today I'd like to report some early thinking about a solution, and invite your observations.

You may recall that we realized that an ordinary solid fuel rocket would lose material through the rocket nozzle due to the fact that solid fuel will become fluid at 10,000 G's. Our expert prepared an interim design that would lay the grain below the level of the nozzle. This would work, but his analysis showed that thrust would fall off dramatically as the burn proceeds down the curvature of the cylinder.

Another team member suggested placing a solid rod in the center of the rocket so that it passes through the nozzle, and thus blocks egress of the grain during acceleration. Our expert then pointed out that the burn surface created by the ejection of the rod would be insufficient, and that an explosion is likely. He recommended a larger burn surface. This might be achieved by packing a layer of water around the rod, contained by a plastic cylinder that is the ideal shape for the needed burn surface. We are standing at this point. We do not see how to remove the rod efficiently at ignition time, but perhaps a small shaped charge at the front of the rocket could perform that duty. The water should flow out the nozzle at that point, which would leave the plastic liner still in place.

My questions would be:

1. Does it look to you as though we are on a reasonable track?

2. What material would you suggest for the rod?

3. What method of ejection of the rod would you recommend?

4. Are we correct in thinking the water would flow out the nozzle after the rod is ejected?

5. What material would you suggest for the liner to hold the water?

6. What method of ignition of the solid rocket fuel would you suggest?

Observations and Suggestions:

1. Are you on a reasonable track?
Yes, the idea of using a central rod to prevent grain loss during the 10,000 G acceleration is innovative. Incorporating a water layer and plastic liner to create the desired burn surface and maintain structural integrity shows thorough consideration of the problem. The concept of using a shaped charge to eject the rod at ignition is also promising, as it could provide the necessary force to clear the rod efficiently.

2. What material would you suggest for the rod?
For the rod material, consider using a lightweight yet strong material that can withstand the 10,000 G forces and the initial heat of ignition. Potential materials include:

• Aluminum Alloy: Lightweight, relatively strong, and can be easily machined.

• Carbon Fiber Composite: Extremely strong and lightweight, though more expensive and complex to manufacture.

• Titanium Alloy: Stronger than aluminum and has better heat resistance, though heavier and more expensive.

3. What method of ejection of the rod would you recommend?
A shaped charge is a feasible option for ejecting the rod. Here are some key points to consider:

• Shaped Charge: A small explosive device designed to direct its force in a specific direction to efficiently eject the rod.

• Pyrotechnic Actuators: These are commonly used in space applications for separation events and could be adapted for rod ejection.

• Mechanical Ejection: A spring-loaded mechanism triggered by a small explosive or electric signal could push the rod out.

4. Are you correct in thinking the water would flow out the nozzle after the rod is ejected?
Yes, the water should flow out of the nozzle once the rod is ejected, assuming it is not in a frozen state and the nozzle is unobstructed. The water serves as a temporary seal and can help shape the burn surface by maintaining pressure and providing a clean pathway for combustion gases.

5. What material would you suggest for the liner to hold the water?
The liner needs to be:

• Heat-Resistant: To withstand the initial heat of ignition until it burns away or is ejected.

• Structurally Sound: To maintain its shape under high G forces and during the initial stages of ignition.

Potential materials include:

• High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE): Good chemical resistance and adequate heat tolerance.

• Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE): Excellent heat resistance and non-reactive.

• Silicone Rubber: High heat tolerance and flexibility, though it may burn away quicker than other materials.

6. What method of ignition of the solid rocket fuel would you suggest?
For igniting the solid rocket fuel, consider the following methods:

• Electric Ignition: Using an electrically heated element or a squib to ignite the fuel. This method is reliable and can be precisely controlled.

• Pyrotechnic Igniter: A small, solid-propellant charge designed to provide the initial flame and heat needed to ignite the main grain.

• Laser Ignition: Using a high-power laser to ignite the fuel, though this is more complex and less commonly used in solid rocket applications.

Summary
Your current approach of using a central rod, a layer of water, and a plastic liner is promising. Key considerations include selecting materials that can withstand the acceleration and heat, ensuring the rod can be efficiently ejected, and maintaining structural integrity during the burn. Each component (rod, liner, and ignition method) should be carefully evaluated and tested to ensure they perform as expected under the extreme conditions of the SpinLaunch system.

Let me know if you need any further details or have additional questions!

(th)

#114 2024-07-11 01:33:53

tahanson43206

This post is to contain a transcript of a session with ChatGPT, to attempt to imagine the steps GW Johnson will be taking to achieve the goal we have set for ourselves, to work out the design of two solid fuel stages to deliver 200 kg to LEO at the altitude of a proposed orbit fuel station.

Designing Solid Fuel Stages for SpinLaunch Mission

We are working on designing two solid fuel stages to place a 200 kg payload in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) after the first stage has achieved an elevation of 37 miles and a velocity of 4371 mph along the flight path. Our goal is to work backward from this point to determine the required specifications for the two stages. Here is the suggested approach:

• Step 1:
    got AISE here... the line that failed defined the goal as finding the desired orbit...
    Determine the parameters of the desired Low Earth Orbit (LEO), including the altitude and velocity required. For a typical LEO, an altitude of approximately 200-400 km (124-248 miles) and an orbital velocity of about 28,000 km/h (17,500 mph) are common targets.

• Step 2: Calculate the Delta-V Requirement
    Use the rocket equation to calculate the total delta-v required to move from the end of stage 1 to LEO. Delta-v is the change in velocity needed to achieve the desired orbit. Consider the gravitational losses, drag, and any other forces acting on the vehicle.

• Note: the desired orbit is that of a fuel depot
    GW Johnson has defined the altitude of the refueling depot. I'll look it up and enter it here

• Step 3: Determine the Burn Time and Thrust Profile for Each Stage
    For each of the two solid fuel stages, calculate the burn time and thrust profile required to achieve the necessary delta-v. This involves determining the mass of the fuel, the specific impulse (Isp) of the rocket motor, and the burn duration.

• Step 4: Design the Grain Geometry and Nozzle Configuration
    Design the geometry of the solid fuel grain and the nozzle configuration to optimize thrust and burn efficiency. Consider factors such as the shape of the grain, the burn rate, and the material properties of the fuel.

• Step 5: Conduct Simulations and Iterations
    Perform detailed simulations to validate the design. Iterate the design based on simulation results to optimize performance and ensure stability and reliability. Consider potential issues such as thermal management, structural integrity, and aerodynamic stability.

• Step 6: Plan for Stage Separation and Ignition Timing
    Develop a plan for the separation of the first and second stages, as well as the ignition timing for the solid fuel stages. Ensure that the stages are designed to separate cleanly and that the ignition sequence is reliable under the expected conditions.

• Step 7: Finalize the Design and Prepare for Testing
    Finalize the design of the solid fuel stages, including all components and subsystems. Prepare for testing and validation, both on the ground and through flight tests, to confirm the performance and reliability of the design.

• Step 8: Document the Design and Prepare for Manufacturing
    Create detailed documentation of the design, including technical drawings, specifications, and assembly instructions. Prepare for manufacturing, ensuring that all components can be produced to the required standards and that the manufacturing process is efficient and reliable.

We believe that by following these steps, we can effectively design the solid fuel stages needed to achieve our mission goals. Your insights and expertise are valuable, and we welcome any feedback or suggestions you may have to improve our approach.

(th)

#115 2024-07-11 01:55:03

tahanson43206

In this post, we have provided ChatGPT with the parameters for the refueling station orbit, as defined by GW Johnson:

Designing Solid Fuel Stages for SpinLaunch Mission

We are working on designing two solid fuel stages to place a 200 kg payload in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) after the first stage has achieved an elevation of 37 miles and a velocity of 4371 mph along the flight path. Our goal is to work backward from this point to determine the required specifications for the two stages. Here is the suggested approach:

• Step 1: Define the T a r g e t   O r b it
    Determine the parameters of the desired Low Earth Orbit (LEO), including the altitude and velocity required. Based on input from our resident rocket engineer, we will target a low orbit which significantly eases the velocity requirements compared to an extreme elliptic orbit. The low orbit velocity is approximately 70% of the escape velocity, which corresponds to the square root of 2.

• Step 2: Calculate the Delta-V Requirement
    Use the rocket equation to calculate the total delta-v required to move from the end of stage 1 to LEO. Delta-v is the change in velocity needed to achieve the desired orbit. Consider the gravitational losses, drag, and any other forces acting on the vehicle. Since low orbit velocity is 70% of escape velocity, this greatly reduces the delta-v requirement.

• Step 3: Determine the Burn Time and Thrust Profile for Each Stage
    For each of the two solid fuel stages, calculate the burn time and thrust profile required to achieve the necessary delta-v. This involves determining the mass of the fuel, the specific impulse (Isp) of the rocket motor, and the burn duration.

• Step 4: Design the Grain Geometry and Nozzle Configuration
    Design the geometry of the solid fuel grain and the nozzle configuration to optimize thrust and burn efficiency. Consider factors such as the shape of the grain, the burn rate, and the material properties of the fuel.

• Step 5: Conduct Simulations and Iterations
    Perform detailed simulations to validate the design. Iterate the design based on simulation results to optimize performance and ensure stability and reliability. Consider potential issues such as thermal management, structural integrity, and aerodynamic stability.

• Step 6: Plan for Stage Separation and Ignition Timing
    Develop a plan for the separation of the first and second stages, as well as the ignition timing for the solid fuel stages. Ensure that the stages are designed to separate cleanly and that the ignition sequence is reliable under the expected conditions.

• Step 7: Finalize the Design and Prepare for Testing
    Finalize the design of the solid fuel stages, including all components and subsystems. Prepare for testing and validation, both on the ground and through flight tests, to confirm the performance and reliability of the design.

• Step 8: Document the Design and Prepare for Manufacturing
    Create detailed documentation of the design, including technical drawings, specifications, and assembly instructions. Prepare for manufacturing, ensuring that all components can be produced to the required standards and that the manufacturing process is efficient and reliable.

We believe that by following these steps, we can effectively design the solid fuel stages needed to achieve our mission goals. Your insights and expertise are valuable, and we welcome any feedback or suggestions you may have to improve our approach.

(th)

#116 2024-07-11 02:07:50

tahanson43206

Here is Python code that ChatGPT created to compute the Earth orbit where the velocity of the space craft is 70% of escape:

# Constants
G = 6.67430e-11  # Gravitational constant in m^3 kg^-1 s^-2
M = 5.972e24  # Mass of the Earth in kg
v = 7827  # Orbital velocity in m/s
R_earth = 6.371e6  # Radius of the Earth in meters

# Calculate the orbital radius
r = G * M / (v ** 2)

# Calculate the altitude
h = r - R_earth

r, h

The result of a run of this program is:

]
Running the above code, we get the following results:

Orbital Radius
?
r: ~6.937 x 10^6 meters
Altitude

h: ~566 kilometers (approximately)
Summary
At an orbital speed of 7827 m/s, the spacecraft is in a circular orbit at an altitude of approximately 566 kilometers above the Earth's surface. This confirms that the given speed aligns with a typical Low Earth Orbit (LEO) altitude range.

However, this result differs from the 150 km altitude that GW Johnson had previously defined as desirable
(th)

#117 2024-07-11 02:17:08

tahanson43206

given that in another topic, GW Johnson has defined the desired altitude for the refueling station as 150 km, I asked ChatGPT to recompute the orbital parameters that correspond to that orbit:

Here is the Python code to deliver that information:

# Constants
G = 6.67430e-11  # Gravitational constant in m^3 kg^-1 s^-2
M = 5.972e24  # Mass of the Earth in kg
R_earth = 6.371e6  # Radius of the Earth in meters
h = 150000  # Altitude in meters

# Calculate the orbital radius
r = R_earth + h

# Calculate the orbital speed
v = (G * M / r) ** 0.5

r, v

And here are the results:

Running the code, we get:

Orbital Radius
?
r:

meters
6,521,000meters (6.521 x 10^6 meters)
Orbital Speed
?
v: approximately

m/s
7,784m/s
Summary
At an altitude of 150 km, the spacecraft needs to travel at approximately

m/s
7,784m/s to maintain a stable low Earth orbit. This is consistent with known values for orbital velocities at such altitudes.

Thus, for a desired orbit altitude of 150 km, the spacecraft will be traveling at an orbital speed of around

m/s
7,784m/s.

From this result, and pending correction, I deduce that the desired orbit requires a velocity of 7,784 m/s.

To summarize, we have an orbiting refueling station operating at 150 km over Earth, with a velocity of 7,784 m/s.

(th)

#118 2024-07-11 02:23:31

tahanson43206

It is time to convert from English to Metric units.

Conversion of Stage 1 Parameters to Metric Units

Initial Parameters:

• Altitude: 37 miles

• Velocity: 4371 mph

Converted to Metric Units:

• Altitude: 37 miles = 59,545.58 meters

• Velocity: 4371 mph = 1,954.13 meters per second

(th)

#119 2024-07-11 02:31:36

tahanson43206

I asked ChatGPT to proceed to Step 2, since we appear to have the altitude and velocity of the refueling station...

Delta-V Calculation for Achieving T a r g e t   O r b i t

Given Parameters:

• Initial Altitude: 59,546 meters (59.546 km)

• Initial Velocity: 1,954 meters per second

• Target Orbit Altitude: 150 km

• Target Orbit Velocity: 7,784 meters per second

Delta-V Calculation:

• Formula: ΔV = V[target] - V[initial]

• Calculation: ΔV = 7,784 m/s - 1,954 m/s = 5,830 meters per second

Required Delta-V: 5,830 meters per second

(th)

#120 2024-07-11 02:35:42

tahanson43206

I asked ChatGPT to attempt Step 3 of it's work plan:

Step 3: Determining the Proportion of Delta-V for Each Stage

Current Status:

• Total Delta-V Needed: 5,830 m/s

• Initial Conditions: 59.546 km altitude, 1,954 m/s velocity

• Target Orbit: 150 km altitude, 7,784 m/s velocity

Optimizing Delta-V Distribution:

• Considerations:
      - Mass ratios (\( R_1 \) and \( R_2 \)) for Stage 1 and Stage 2
      - Specific impulse (\( I_{sp} \))
      - Operating conditions (atmospheric density)

Typical Distribution Strategy:

• Stage 1 Delta-V Contribution: 60% of total delta-V

• Stage 2 Delta-V Contribution: 40% of total delta-V

Example Calculation:

• Delta-V for Stage 1: 3,498 m/s

• Delta-V for Stage 2: 2,332 m/s

Note: Exact proportions can be fine-tuned based on specific impulse and mass ratios. Iterative optimization methods or simulations are often used in practice.

This is as far as I want to go this work session. It is time for GW Johnson to evaluate the work done and make adjustments as needed.

As a side note: OpenAI.com informed me that I have used up my allocation of time with ChatGPT4o.

That message confirms that I was indeed using ChatGPT4o, which is far more powerful than the free ChatGPT 3.5.

(th)

#121 2024-07-11 10:31:30

tahanson43206

Follow on the work done earlier today, here is an attempt by ChatGPT4o to estimate the mass of a solid fuel stage for our hypothetical three stage SpinLaunch orbital system.

I am hoping that GW Johnson may be able to use this work as a starting point for a ** real ** design that can be submitted/offered to SpinLaunch as an alternative to their (assumed) liquid fuel solution.

Designing the Third Stage of the Rocket

We are progressing with our solid rocket motor design to meet the SpinLaunch requirements. Here's an update on our plan for the third stage, which is crucial for achieving Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

Step 1: Current Status

• Initial altitude: 59,546 meters (37 miles)

• Initial velocity: 1,954 meters per second (4,371 mph)

• Target orbit: 150 km altitude at 7,784 meters per second

• Delta-V required for third stage: 2,332 meters per second

Step 2: Components of the Third Stage

• Payload: 200 kg

• Solid Rocket Motor (SRM):

• Propellant Mass: Estimated 200 kg

• Structural Mass: Estimated 100 kg

• Electronic Control System: Included in structural mass

Step 3: Calculating the Masses

Using the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation:
\[ \Delta V = I_{sp} \cdot g_0 \cdot \ln\left(\frac{m_0}{m_f}\right) \]

Where:

• Delta-V: 2,332 m/s

• Specific Impulse (Isp): 250 s

• Gravity (g0): 9.81 m/s^2

Resulting mass ratio:
\[ \frac{m_0}{m_f} = e^{\frac{\Delta V}{I_{sp} \cdot g_0}} \approx 1.97 \]

Assuming 20% of total mass for structure and control:

• Total mass (m0): 500 kg (approximation)

• Propellant mass (mp): 200 kg

• Dry mass (md): 100 kg

This gives us a rough estimate to work with.

Next Steps

• Validate mass estimates with detailed design

• Iterate on mass distribution for optimization

• Develop detailed control system requirements

• Design testing and validation plan for each stage

Let's continue our design process with these estimates and refine our approach as we gather more data and feedback.

[/BBCode]

I note that ChatGPT did not start the third stage burn from the correct altitude and velocity. The figures quoted are for the start of the second stage burn. I will ask for a correction.

(th)

#122 2024-07-11 10:40:24

tahanson43206

ChatGPT clarified that the starting altitude and velocity of the third stage are less critical for this estimate, because we are dealing with delta-V to be added by the stage.  ChatGPT modified the wording slightly in this version.

The bottom line is that ChatGPT thinks 500 kg is a reasonable estimate for the mass of the third stage.

Designing the Third Stage of the Rocket

We are progressing with our solid rocket motor design to meet the SpinLaunch requirements. Here's an update on our plan for the third stage, which is crucial for achieving Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

• Initial altitude for second stage: 59,546 meters (37 miles)

• Initial velocity for second stage: 1,954 meters per second (4,371 mph)

• Target orbit: 150 km altitude at 7,784 meters per second

• Delta-V required for third stage: 2,332 meters per second

Step 2: Components of the Third Stage

• Propellant Mass: Estimated 200 kg

• Structural Mass: Estimated 100 kg

Where:

Resulting mass ratio:
\[ \frac{m_0}{m_f} = e^{\frac{\Delta V}{I_{sp} \cdot g_0}} \approx 1.97 \]

• Total mass (m0): 500 kg (approximation)

• Propellant mass (mp): 200 kg

• Dry mass (md): 100 kg

Next Steps

Let's continue our design process with these estimates and refine our approach as we gather more data and feedback.

[/BBCode]

In the next session, I will attempt to persuade ChatGPT to attempt to compute the mass of the second stage.

(th)

#123 2024-07-11 10:50:31

tahanson43206

In this session, I asked ChatGPT to attempt an estimate for the second stage, assuming the payload is 500 kg, as computed for the third stage earlier...

Delta-V Plan for Rocket Stages

Example Calculation:

• Delta-V for Stage 1 (SpinLaunch Toss): 1,498 m/s

• Delta-V for Stage 2 (First Solid Rocket Stage): 3,498 m/s

• Delta-V for Stage 3 (Second Solid Rocket Stage): 2,332 m/s

Designing the Second Stage of the Rocket

We are progressing with our solid rocket motor design to meet the SpinLaunch requirements. Here's an update on our plan for the second stage, which is crucial for reaching the altitude and velocity needed to ignite the third stage.

• Payload for second stage: 500 kg (mass of the third stage)

• Delta-V required for second stage: 3,498 meters per second

Step 2: Components of the Second Stage

• Total Mass: Estimated 1,250 kg

• Propellant Mass: Estimated 500 kg

• Structural Mass: Estimated 250 kg

Where:

• Delta-V: 3,498 m/s

Resulting mass ratio:
\[ \frac{m_0}{m_f} = e^{\frac{\Delta V}{I_{sp} \cdot g_0}} \approx 1.84 \]

• Total mass (m0): 1,250 kg (approximation)

• Propellant mass (mp): 500 kg

• Dry mass (md): 250 kg

Next Steps

Given the results for the two solid fuel stages, we appear to have 500 kg for the third stage and 1250 kg for the second stage.

The carrier component will have mass, but I have no idea what that might be. Whatever the mass of the carrier may be, it will have as ** its ** payload a package with a mass of 1750 kg.

It is NOT the responsibility of NewMars to design the carrier, or the SpinLaunch system.

What I am looking for NewMars to do is to design the entire Second and Third stage package within a mass of  1750 kg.

If the SpinLaunch team accepts the solid fuel option as designed by NewMars members, then they must build their launcher to deliver the required momentum at 37 miles. That may (and almost certainly does) mean that the launch/toss velocity must be greater than 5000 mph.

(th)

(th)

#124 2024-07-11 11:01:57

tahanson43206

Here is a summary of our work to this point.

For NewMars members ... this is just a draft to give something for GW Johnson to work with using his spreadsheet based rocket design software.

Summary of Rocket Design Progress

Current Status

• Stage 1 (SpinLaunch Toss):

• Starting Altitude: 37 miles (59,546 meters)

• Starting Velocity: 4,371 mph (1,954 meters per second)

• Delta-V: 1,498 m/s

• Stage 2 (First Solid Rocket Stage):

• Payload: 500 kg (Third Stage)

• Delta-V: 3,498 m/s

• Total Mass: Estimated 1,250 kg

• Propellant Mass: 500 kg

• Structural Mass: 250 kg

• Stage 3 (Second Solid Rocket Stage):

• Total Mass: Estimated 500 kg

• Propellant Mass: 250 kg

• Structural Mass: 50 kg

Total Mass of Second and Third Stages: 1,750 kg

Carrier Requirements for SpinLaunch:

• Must accelerate the combined package of 1,750 kg

• Target velocity: > 5,000 mph (taking into account drag losses not included in the first pass)

Next Steps
  • Validate and optimize mass estimates for all stages

• Develop detailed design and control system requirements for each stage

• Plan for testing and validation of the rocket stages

• Collaborate with SpinLaunch team on carrier design and integration

We are making significant progress in designing a solid rocket system that meets the unique challenges posed by the SpinLaunch approach. Our next steps involve refining our estimates and preparing for detailed design and testing.

(th)

#125 2024-07-15 07:44:13

tahanson43206

GW Johnson and I talked by phone today ... GW's been busy with family activities in recent days.

He's been thinking about the SpinLaunch second and third stage design problem.  He indicated he's going to take a look at the liquid engine solution first, because the solid motor has the severe constraints that have been discussed at some length in this topic.

I'd like to take a moment to emphasize how valuable contributions by SpaceNut and kbd512 have been.  If a solid motor configuration is ultimately the winner in this competition, the observations of suggestions they provided will undoubtedly show up in the final design..

GW informed me that there is only one of the old family of solid rocket motor manufacturer still operating in the US.

Asking Google: 26 companies are now active world wide, but the search was not limited to solid motors
Trying again for solid motors...

Who makes solid rocket motors?
Anduril
Anduril designs & produces solid rocket motors (SRMs) to power defense and space launch systems. With more than 450 acres of production facilities, Anduril can produce thousands of SRMs per year.

Solid Rocket Motors - Anduril

Anduril
https://www.anduril.com › hardware › solid-rocket-motors
Search for: Who makes solid rocket motors?

This request seems to have produced better results...

AI Overview
Learn more

Northrop Grumman and Aerojet Rocketdyne have been the primary suppliers of solid rocket motors (SRMs) in the United States for a long time. However, due to increased demand, other companies have recently increased their supply chain capacity, including: Ursa Major, X-Bow Systems, Anduril, and Adranos.

Washington Technology
Anduril acquires solid rocket motor maker
Jun 26, 2023 — Adranos opened for business in 2015 and makes the solid rocket motors in coast...

DefenseScoop
Ursa Major tackles US solid rocket motor shortage with 3D printing
Nov 20, 2023 — Northrop Grumman and Aerojet Rocketdyne — which was acquired by L3Harris in Ju...
Here's some more information about some of these companies:

Aerojet Rocketdyne
Has been producing SRMs for over 80 years and their motors are used in defense systems and space programs. Their motors feature lightweight graphite composite cases, advanced nozzles, and long-life propellants.
uction, manufacturing solid rocket motor stages for Minuteman I, Minuteman II, Minuteman III and Peacekeeper.

(th)

Board footer