New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2021-11-30 10:22:43

tahanson43206

Electrostatic Ionized Radiation Protection Shield

Many years ago, in the dawn of the Space Age, writers thought about using electrostatic force to protect humans in space against ionizing radiation, most definitely including GCR particles which are observed to travel at near the velocity of light, and to come into the human Solar System from all directions.

This new topic is on offer for forum members who might wish to think about (and perhaps post a thought or two) how electrostatic force might be enlisted to protect humans traveling in space or living in orbiting habitats there.

Earlier in the forum archive, there is at least one post about an early writer who thought along these lines, and there may be more than one.

I'd like to open with this (rather crude I admit) "image" of the cross section of such a shield:

Universe is out here: vvvvvvvv <= incoming radiation

Top layer: ####### ground
Positive:    PPPPPP high voltage positive (ie, electrons removed)
Negative:  NNNNNN high voltage negative (electrons moved here)
Bottom:    ####### ground

Humans are here!

My speculation is that positively charged ions would be repelled by the positive layer and collected by the ground layer.

My speculation is that electrons could pass through the positive layer but reflect from the negative one, and collect on the positive layer.

Only neutral particles should pass through such a shield.

This concept is amenable to testing in a vacuum chamber at almost any college campus on Earth.

It would ** certainly ** be amenable to testing on the ISS, or practically any small satellite that might be launched for the purpose.

(th)

#2 2021-12-01 14:07:37

tahanson43206

Re: Electrostatic Ionized Radiation Protection Shield

This new topic has not yet received the attention I think it deserves.

I'll keep it in the daily view for a while, to see if anyone with an interest in protecting humans (passengers or crew) from ionized radiation decides to suggest how the basic idea might be tested for practicality or effectiveness.

(th)

#3 2021-12-01 16:33:24

RobertDyck
Website

There has been research into mini-magnetosphere for radiation shielding. It's more effective than either a magnetic field alone, or electrostatic shield. It's based on Earth's magnetosphere. A weak plasma is injected into a magnetic field. The plasma circles the spacecraft. Anything with charge moving in a circle creates a magnetic field, so this expands the magnetic field, which can hold weak charged plasma to greater distance, which expands the magnetic field, etc. Earth's magnetic field is fed by solar wind. Van Allen belts are the bands of Earth's magnetosphere. Maximum size of any magnetosphere is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field you start with. They calculated a mini-magnetic field would require 50 kW of electricity, and expand several kilometres beyond the ship. Washington State University did some research on this. Initial research was based on using the magnetosphere as a magnetic sail for propulsion: Mini-Magnetosphere Plasma Propulsion M²P².

PDF file of paper: Radiation shielding produced by mini-magnetospheres

#4 2021-12-01 22:16:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

I remember that the CEV was to dock two ships together and produce AG as well as the plasma shield but most likely Nasa has already dumped the work and design....

#5 2022-05-07 15:03:10

Mars_B4_Moon

#6 2022-05-07 20:20:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

So coils are now super conductor to reduce mass.
a-magnetic-bubble-coul-1.jpg

Coils are outside the ship so as to keep fields from the inside

#7 2024-06-23 10:08:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #6

It seems like time to bring this topic back into view.  There's been discussion of protection from galactic and solar radiation in other topics recently.

I'd like to remind our readers that the use of electrostatic force to deflect or repel charged particles moving through open space goes back to the 1980's if not before.  I haven't seen much done with the idea so far, but since it is a proven way to deal with charged particles, it seems to me reasonable to assume that someone will come along and take another look at the idea.

A scenario that should work is a capacitor design, with a positively charged outer grid/shell to repel alpha particles and other nuclei traveling without electrons, and a corresponding negatively charged inner shell to repel electrons that are accelerated by the outer grid.  The mass of the electrons is so much less than the mass of protons (let alone nuclei) that the force exerted by the inner negative shield may ("may") be sufficient to block the electrons.

In any case, this concept needs to be studied by persons with the appropriate education and equipment.

(th)

#8 2024-06-23 11:58:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Capacitors are charges on a plate of solid materials with insulating material between them.

th?id=ODL.4a2cfc20c19079a707e17ebceaa0a73c&w=164&h=181&c=10&rs=1&qlt=99&o=6&pid=13.1

Board footer