New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-16 12:38:55

Wim
Website

Re: First human on Mars. Man or woman ? - like in the title

Do you think the first person on Mars will be a woman or a man ?

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#2 2003-11-16 14:36:31

Free Spirit
Banned

I know I'm going off topic but after reading about how in the "wild west" days the frontier had a high ratio of men to women, will the same occur if mass space migration happens?  Oppression of women is probably the reason that there were a lot less women in the west than men, but it should make a good sociology project to see what the ratio of women to men turns out to be during the early era of mass migrations into space.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#3 2003-11-16 19:54:23

Palomar

Do you think the first person on Mars will be a woman or a man ?

*Uh-oh. 

This topic came up a long time ago, in a round-about fashion, and it was decided that everyone on the first human mission to Mars would hold each other's gloved hands and jump onto Marsian ground together.

That's quite fine by me.

--Cindy

::Hey, does this spacesuit make my butt look big?::   yikes

:laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-11-17 04:39:45

Wim
Website

I didn't know that this topic has already been discussed. Sorry for that.

No your butt doesn't lo... wait a second isn't there a dedicated topis on this.  :laugh:

#5 2003-11-17 12:44:32

clark

man.

#6 2003-11-18 14:08:48

Ad Astra

In the interests of psychological health and group dynamics, it would be best to send a crew equally divided between men and women.  The crew would ideally consist of married couples, although a 50-50 split among single astronauts would also be tolerable.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#7 2003-11-18 14:44:39

Wim
Website

So instead of the first man or woman steps on the surface of the red planet, it will be the first family.  smile

#8 2003-11-18 16:40:48

RobertDyck
Website

The issue of couples was also addressed at the Humans in Space conference last spring. The European astronauts thought the idea was quaint, uniquely American, and completely unnecessary. The Italian astronaut said he would invite an Italian actress to come with him. (I don?t know what kind of movies she made.)

#9 2003-11-18 17:08:57

dickbill

Leave the astronauts volunteer for that mission and see what happen. if the crew is composed of 4 people, as Zubrin suggested, then chances are that a woman will be there, but who knows, it might not be the case.
I hope that NASA officials won't use "positive selection" to force a 50% ratio just to look good and politically correct.

Times change: during all the Apollo program, NASA never found a way to include a woman in one of the mission, could we do that now ? I doubt.

#10 2003-11-18 17:21:58

Palomar

I hope that NASA officials won't use "positive selection" to force a 50% ratio just to look good and politically correct.

*Yeah, I've thought about the potential for "political correctness" to cause some problems...not just as regards gender, but race/ethnicity as well.  I'm all for an eclectic, multi-ethnic crew going to Mars, but ONLY so long as ALL members are the pick of the crop.  No passing over Astronaut Z just because s/he is in a majority group in favor of Astronaut B who is less qualified as regards training, college scores, etc., just because B is in a minority group.

I'm really wondering how that hairball is going to become A Major Issue when a crew is selected to go to Mars.

As for gender ratios, that has the added complications of sexual frustration, sexual tensions and jealousies, on and on.  That's been discussed here briefly before, as well.  Good luck figuring that one out.

And I think that's all I want to say about it.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#11 2003-11-18 18:55:56

clark

most astronauts are male. most people who go into engineering or space related fields that might lead to 'Mars' related skills, are male.

the first person on Mars will more than likely be male.

it's not a matter of who is better, it's just freaking statistics.

big deal. so the first person carries a wang. it's only an issue if you see it as such.

#12 2003-11-19 22:13:18

Mad Grad Student
Website

Isn't the correct answer to this question simply "Who cares?" Why should we go out of our way to decide the gender or other non-important qualities of the first person on Mars? I say whoever the mission commander is should be the first. Now, from past records this will probably be male, but who knows? We're getting more and more female astronauts all the time, so it's anyone's guess.

As for the psychological issues, I think that they're blown out of proportion. It was thought at one time that being on a planet other than the Earth, for example, the moon, for a few days would depress the astronauts so much they would be unable to function. Ahem, that didn't happen. Now, I can understand that people would be nervous about the idea of being away from radio contact and any sort of view of Earth, but the astronauts would adapt. I don't think that gender would really be an issue, but a 50-50 split would be ideal. However, I am NOT suggesting we take this in to account while selecting the crew. The last thing the world needs is more affirmitve action.

Who came up with this thread, anyway?

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#13 2003-11-20 09:28:10

clark

like kids in the back seat on a road trip with mom and dad, fighting over each others side, where they sit, who smells or is making weird faces, etc.

it's the details that distract from the trip.  :;):

#14 2003-11-20 18:07:11

Josh Cryer

I hope it's a woman, it would make things interesting. smile

I think in that old discussion we had, I suggested they just draw straws. If not, hey, that's my suggestion now.

Remember early NASA experiments? Women had more lasting ability in extreme environments, but it was ignored? I think women deserve to be vindicated for that. Honestly, you don't need strength or an otherwise high metabolism (male metabolisms consume more per body weight, mind you, so we're inefficient in space because all that extra energy is unnecessary) in space, you need a strong stomach and lasting ability.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#15 2003-11-20 22:29:06

Ad Astra

If you've ever observed the behavior of men who are isolated from women for 2.5 years, the idea of couples in space gains credibility.  Try to put yourself in the same situation and ask how you would react to so much time away from companionship.  Yes, the human body is resilient, but the crew psychology should not be subjected to unneeded stresses if they can be avoided.  There are plenty of husband-wife teams who would succeed as astronauts; NASA has flown a few of them during shuttle missions.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#16 2003-11-20 22:30:08

Euler

I think that everyone on the first mission arrives on mars at the same time.  I really don?t care who takes the first step on Martian soil.

#17 2003-11-21 08:48:41

clark

We could just send hermaphrodites and be done with the whole issue.  big_smile

#18 2003-11-21 16:47:28

dicktice

How about, if they're married, and step off as one in a two-person "buddy" pressure suit?

#19 2003-11-21 18:40:48

Josh Cryer

Hmm, due to some posters on this forum, perhaps the sexes should duke it out, gladiator-style. What we'd send is a large inflatable arena so that it could be watched live, on camera.

Winner takes all. big_smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#20 2003-11-24 12:18:05

clark

good one. My bet is on Josh in the seventh round.  :laugh:

#21 2003-11-25 14:13:01

Wim
Website

or maybe a pregnant woman (and yes it's a boy .. oooh gosh)

Board footer