New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#3551 2024-05-16 15:27:26

Calliban

Re: Housekeeping

The Fred Flintstone software that this site relies upon seems to be struggling.  I can only sign in now using TOR.  If I try using a normal browser, I get this error message:

'Bad CSRF hash. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source.'

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#3552 2024-05-16 17:30:07

Void

That has happened to me off and on.  I found that if I click on a topic post that I was recently in I often then can get in.  Otherwise, persistence, even 20 tries moving around on the site would do it.  I have mentioned this before.

Done

Done.

#3553 2024-05-16 17:56:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Calliban, which topic was the error with, as there is a synch problem for the wrap to next post on the last post of a page.

#3554 2024-05-16 17:59:01

tahanson43206

For Calliban re #3551

Thank you for reporting this problem!

It is possible for you to test the new updated forum software.

Your ID and password are the same, since this is a cloned database, running the updated software.

I would ** really ** appreciate your testing your regular browser with the clone.

The address of the clone is: http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

You have already tested the alternative softwre, phpBB3.

If you have time and want to confirm what I expect,you can use: http://40.75.112.55/phpBB3/index.php

Just FYI ... the problem may have to do with a cookie that FluxBB creates when you log in.  The idea is to try to prevent hackers from gaining access to the system, so a cookie is used to try to confirm you are you and not someone from another country pretending to be you.

For Void .... thanks for picking up on the problem and for offering an interesting solution.

(th)

#3555 2024-05-17 08:21:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Pages:1 2 3 … 9 Next

This post is to encourage you to keep working on converting banned "good" members to InActive Status

I can write a script to convert the TestID's whenever you're ready.

(th)

#3556 2024-05-17 09:15:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This post is about a new kind of membership to take advantage of the new Like feature (when we get it working)...

AISE objected to something in the original post ...

What I have in mind is using a new category of membership as a way of folding new "members" into the group by demonstrating their interest in the forum, and not just as a place to publish their ideas.

We have a few members who never read anyone else's posts ...

We don't have time to read everyone's posts.  That is for sure!

I can barely keep up with the titles of Mars_B4_Moon when he gets going, so I can certainly understand the problem.

However, I think that if we admit a new person into the group, it would be helpful for the life of the group if that person had shown some interest in others.

A way to achieve that is to create a new membership category.

AISE refused to let me add anything past this point.

(th)

#3557 2024-05-17 09:16:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Continuing from Post #3556

A new category might be "reader" or perhaps "follower" ....

We are a few weeks out from having the "Like" feature ready.

I'm hoping kbd512 will have time to work on it Sunday.

The new feature needs:
1) A table with three columns: fluxbb_likes
2) A new P H P file as you suggested: l i k e s.p h p
3) Code in V i e w t o p i c to show likes and to accept a request to update the count using a button or the avatar as a button
4) Code somewhere to show the likes for a given post. That might be a button right next to the "Like button ... eg: "Show Likes"
There might well be something else needed.

I am definitely interested in seeing what the Like Extension you found looks like in phpBB3, and hope to get it installed this weekend.

(th)

#3558 2024-05-17 20:21:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I set aside time this evening to install the like extension you found for phpBB3.

I thought I had saved the link you provided, but now I can't find it.

If you have a moment over the weekend, please show me the post where it is.

Using search words produced too many posts, and none were about the extension.

(th)

#3559 2024-05-17 21:12:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... while I was working with ChatGPT4o to prepare a set of posts for PhotonBytes, ChatGPT4o expired and ChatGPT 3.5 tried to pick up the ball, but it is really struggling. What seems to be happening is that the request for bbcode is being delivered as latex, which is a text formatting language.

- Number of moles (\( n \)): 1

Ideal Gas Law:
\[ PV = nRT \]

- Rearrange for volume (V):
\[ V = \frac{nRT}{P} \]

- Convert temperature to Kelvin:
\[ T = 0^\circ \text{C} + 273.15 = 273.15 \, \text{K} \]

Calculation Steps:
- Plug in the values:

V = (1 \times 8.314 \times 273.15) / 610

- Compute the volume:

V ≈ \frac{2271.45}{610} ≈ 3.72 \, \text{m}^3

- Number of moles (\( n \)): 1

Ideal Gas Law:
\[ PV = nRT \]

- Rearrange for volume (V):
\[ V = \frac{nRT}{P} \]

- Convert temperature to Kelvin:
\[ T = 0^\circ \text{C} + 273.15 = 273.15 \, \text{K} \]

Calculation Steps:
- Plug in the values:

V = (1 \times 8.314 \times 273.15) / 610

- Compute the volume:

V ≈ \frac{2271.45}{610} ≈ 3.72 \, \text{m}^3

tth)

#3560 2024-05-18 13:32:57

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

It appears that kbd512 would be able to use a new forum if you decide to create the Projects Category.

You'll need an html description, and kbd512 may have to provide that to you using a code of some kind, if AISE objects.

FYI ... I am ** really ** encouraged about AISE going away with the updated software.  I tried a large post today and the clone accepted it without a problem, after NewMars Prime balked.

(th)

#3561 2024-05-19 10:51:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry for the delay in getting back onto the forum as my network provider gave no warning as to going over my data limits.

I see conversation not being placed into topic and that leads to information getting lost.

post 3559 has been entered in the past in other topics and posts but it's about units of measurements to making the equation work in any application. It's about thermal energy transfer in this case it's about a gas regardless of which type is chosen. Of course, we need to knwo what the work is to be done for the next step of energy input as heat into the device making use of the working fluid.

#3562 2024-05-19 11:34:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re data plan ...

Welcome back! 

Please create the new Projects Category.  The Google Meeting is coming up this evening.

If you create the new Category, kdb512 can create the new forum to go into it.

(th)

#3563 2024-05-19 14:56:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have made the project and a few forums that have content moved to them so as to get a good start for them.

I am thinking about other forums to go with in the project folder.

#3564 2024-05-19 17:10:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3563

It is exciting to have the new Category!  You've certainly launched some interesting forums to go with the new Category.

These should NOT be for discussion!  Are you clear on that?  Your company does a Project.  It builds one large, complicated structure at a time.

It does not discuss what should be done. It knows what needs to be done.  Everyone involved has a task or a set of tasks, and they perform those tasks in parallel, so that the entire structure comes together.

The new topic you've created is for a lot of large ships. But RobertDyck only needs a topic for ** his ** large ship.

If someone else wants to build a different design, we need to create a forum for that person.

If someone wants to start a business, they need a forum just for that business.

They don't need to share a forum with a business that makes shoes when they are growing pinapples.

The two businesses are completely different.

(th)

#3565 2024-05-19 17:20:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

Projects require discussion as they either do not exist currently or are going towards the wrong outcome as we see them.

Projects are not personal creations or sole ownership locations they are the creation of collective thoughts that all can share in. That said you would not want your topic that is labeled "Large Ship Atomic Propulsion" to be one of the many that go under a large ship just because it was not initiated by RobertDyck...

Business that diversified will and are the companies that stay in business.
Granted foods go with foods, greenhouse goes with what structure does food grow within. These would cover indoors, vertical ect....

#3566 2024-05-19 18:11:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... have you ever done a project?

Discussion takes place separately from the project.

The new projects category (as I am hoping it develops) will NOT be for discussion.

We have MANY forums and categories and countless topics for discussion.

Please imagine yourself running a project from one of these new forums.

You might chose to install a new furnace.

You wouldn't want discussion of which furnace to install.

Do you understand the difference?

(th)

PS ... there is no one in tonight's meeting ...

Houston has been hit with heavy storms, so they may not have power.

I'll keep the meeting up for an hour just in case, but this may be a good chance for us to work on the new category.

(th)

#3567 2024-05-19 18:27:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

If there is no discussion, then this is a publishing paper clearing house.

You end up with the cell which fails, or the settlement of Noah that used the forum for a paper.

That is why we made companion topics for the discussion to what someone would put forth as a concept to develop, as a topic that a single owner would parent to finish. None of those finished either.

Have you ever used a project outline of all of the managed efforts that must take place. How about material to a schedule work timeline of all repairs that must be performed. All of this takes discusion...

#3568 2024-05-19 18:36:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3567

kbd512 just joined the meeting.

He likes your new Category.

He just created a new forum.

(th)

#3569 2024-05-19 19:07:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... update ... the meeting just ended ... kbd512 decided right off the bat to accept discussion in his new SSTO forum.

That's a strong support for your position.

I've written RobertDyck to notify him that his Large Colonization Ship has a new home in a ship yard full of Large ships.  He still has only a topic, but he can create other topics. 

The need is to stop talking and talking and talking ....

I'd like to see work start on planning, and later on execution of plans.

The company you work for would not be in business if all people did was talk.

This forum NewMars is big enough to include action along with all the talk.

(th)

#3570 2024-05-20 06:29:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new additions to Projects category

Please stop adding non-project topics to the new Projects category.

Our members would be justified in thinking that you are consolidating all the topics that have titles that sound similar, while paying no attention to the purpose of the Category.

The purpose of the category is to provide an environment where members can lay out a step-by-step process to create something useful in the real Universe.

If a visitor to our forum were to open the Projects Category, they might have reason to hope to find text showing how to do something in a step-by-step fashion. Instead they would find a huge collection of discussion topics.

Don't change anything you've done. It's too late for that.

We may have to change the name of the Category.  It never had a chance to become a Category for actual Projects.

Let's think of a new name for the Category. 

(th)

#3571 2024-05-20 06:32:40

tahanson43206

For all....

Please take a look at the work SpaceNut has done with the new Projects category.... The Category needs a new name, since it is obviously not going to be able to serve as a location for actual projects.  On the other hand, consolidation of topics with similar sounding names is potentially useful, but the new collection of topics cannot be called "Projects". What name do you think might be a better fit for the new collection?

(th)

#3572 2024-05-20 06:50:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... there is a need for the members of this forum to agree on the meaning of the word "project"

I asked Google for help, because it appears we (members) may not share the same definition....

People also ask
What is a simple definition of a project?
A project is defined as a sequence of tasks that must be completed to attain a certain outcome. According to the Project Management Institute (PMI), the term Project refers to ” to any temporary endeavor with a definite beginning and end”.
Feb 9, 2024

A collection of discussions is not a project, or even remotely related to a project.

A discussion by definition has no decision making going on.  Decisions may occur as a result of discussion.

Decisions would show up in a ** project ** .... A wall in a house is to be painted some color ... a project is a plan to paint the wall.

The project plan includes a list of items needed to complete the work, an description of the work to be done, a sequence of steps to complete the work, and periodic reports as the work is completed.  At the conclusion of the project there is a report on what was done, and any problems that had to be solved along the way.  The new Projects Category in NewMars was a place where new projects could have been created.

Each subforum could have been an individual project.

Now the space where we might have had projects is filled with endless discussions which were not intended to produce a result.

The new category needs a new name, but I cannot imagine what the new name would be.  Nothing in the new Category has anything to do with a project?

What were you thinking when you moved all those topics?

Don't move anything back. The new arrangement is potentially useful. Let's try to think of a new name for the Projects Category.

We had a clone set up so we could experiment without making changes to the NewMars Prime database.

I thought the testing in the clone was going well.

We opened a new Category in NewMars Prime, and I was hoping the new Category would become a fertile plot where actual projects could grow. Instead, a huge collection of topics has appeared in the fresh fertile soil, and there are no projects present.

(th)

#3573 2024-05-20 07:09:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

I'm wondering how we can turn this situation into a success....

We obviously have to change the name of the new Category.  It only contains ONE element that might have become a project, and that was the new subforum created by kbd512.  Suddenly that new subforum is filled with topics from elsewhere in the archive.

kbd512 barely got a chance to begin development of the new subforum, before it filled up with topics that have nothing to do with project planning, project execution or project status reporting.

I am at a loss to think of a suitable name for the new category.

It obviously has nothing to do with projects.  You must have had ** something ** in mind as you did all that work.

Let's try to think of a name for the Category that reflects your thinking at the time you carried out that massive set of changes to the database.

The four subforums just created are:

Large ships
Settlement Creation
Business Proposals
Home improvements

What do these four titles have in common?

I can't think of anything, but clearly you thought they had something to do with projects.

What do these four titles have in common?

Please don't change anything.  The database has just undergone a massive change for which we do not have a backup.

Let's request a backup of the database before we do anything else.

All we need to do is to change the name of the Category to whatever you were thinking when you did all that work.

(th)

#3574 2024-05-20 07:16:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is a project template that does this.

IT-Project-Plan-Template-TemplateLab.com_-scaled.jpg?w=395

Since not one of our proposals can be completed totally by a single individual it requires discussion.

We have a few topics that fit what you want but they all require the research to bring them into being.

Such as the means to buy a ship to deliver to Mars or to orbit. That requires a funding stream and requirement, ect...

Since Nasa with thousands of employees require 6 years to bring any RFP to end one must think of such a timeline of tasks which have Tonnes of discussions all documented in writing and not verbally. They start with white or technical papers to review.

Here is just one of the above lines of information captured on such a template.

project-planning-template-18.jpg

or
project-planning-template-29.jpg

These are all forms of the task index that guides the discussion of a project desires.

The Large ship comes close to each element of a large ship but is missing way more than we have to fill in all of the tasks.

None of what we would want to qualify for a project are.
The wiki companion structure owner even of the wiki page needs to do more to complete a finished design concept with answers to each line of the template of tasks.

Topics of discusion of tasks within a project are required since they did not start with the initial construct of requirements.

#3575 2024-05-20 07:30:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Thank you for showing that you have an understanding of what a project might look like.

ChatGTP analyzed the four titles you created, and offers: Infrastructure Development as a suitable replacement for the word "Projects"

Please rename the new Category to Infrastructure Development.

Please take no further action after completing this change.

We'll need to take our time thinking through how we are going to try again to create a new Projects Category.

We clearly have a misunderstanding in our leadership team, of what the new Category should look like, and how it would work.

(th)

Board footer