New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2022-11-01 10:01:37

tahanson43206

RGClark Postings

RGClark opened an interesting new topic today, and GW Johnson gave it the stamp of approval, by completing Post #2.

I was inspired to see what other interesting topics/ideas RGClark might have posted over the years.

Post #1 was ** really ** interesting (to me for sure), and I'd like to encourage everyone with an interest in beamed power to take a look.

RGClark is Member 1515, with over 500 posts.

For RGClark ... I'm hoping you might be willing to provide an update since 2006, on the idea you presented.

A great many advances have been made since then, in multiple areas that would apply to your proposal.

(th)

#2 2023-05-15 08:38:12

tahanson43206

Re: RGClark Postings

RGClark added a new post today, to the Hiroshima Bomb topic ....

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 69#p209769

This post contains an analysis and forecast of space development, based upon analysis of other transportation industries.

Searchterm:Forecast space launch industry by RGClark

(th)

#3 2024-04-13 07:24:15

tahanson43206

For RGClark re new phpBB3 test account ....

I understand that members of the forum do not have time to read every post, so you may not be aware of the test account that the Admins have set up for evaluation of newer forum software.

Please connect to the Azure test account using the information in the Azure topic.

If you encounter an SQL timeout message please just refresh the page.  Azure is a Virtual Machine that goes to sleep and has to be re-awakened.

I'd appreciate your feedback on the site.

(th)

#4 2024-05-07 09:25:55

tahanson43206

For RGClark re report of non-responsive web site at midnight 2024/05/07

Thanks for your report.

Hopefully it was of short duration.

I have added a post in housekeeping, in hopes that kbd512 might see it.

The logs should show if there was a problem at the server in that time period.

On the other hand, the site seems to be running normally now, so it is possible kbd512 might not want to invest the time it would take to look.

kbd512 has a demanding job and many other obligations.

(th)

#5 2024-05-15 08:11:02

tahanson43206

For RGClark re request for new Projects Category and SSTO forum...

Please review my request to SpaceNut in the Housekeeping topic.

Please add corrections or support for the proposed new Category and topic.

GW Johnson has provided solid support for a non-reusable SSTO vehicle.  If you have not reviewed his work please do so.

There are very few people on Earth able to evaluate Dr. Johnson's work, and I'm hoping you are one of them.

You may be qualified to perform an evaluation, and if you are, please do so.

kbd512 has provided support for an SSTO concept using a fuel other than hydrogen.

That concept needs further development.

I would be interested in seeing a design for a reusable SSTO that can deliver a single passenger with luggage to LEO.

The vehicle would be automated with ground supervised teleoperation.

Whatever that vehicle would be, it would be the smallest practical SSTO that can pay for itself by providing a useful service.

From all the recent posts stimulated by the SSTO concept, I get the impression a vertical launch and gliding return is the best possible scenario.

A gliding return to a water landing would eliminate the mass required for runway landing.

The discussion of SSTO has been going on in this forum since 2017 (and possibly before in other topics).  I'd like to see concrete results coming out of all that discussion.

(th)

#6 2024-05-27 20:55:21

tahanson43206

For RGClark re post: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 93#p223693

You've written an optimistic scenario ...

200 metric tons mass for an SSTO that is fully fueled and ready for launch.

This vehicle delivers 13 metric tons to LEO, and then returns to either land on wheels or vertically on it's exhaust.

Please provide a few more details.  I'm just a lay person in these discussions, but the amount of propellant to land the vehicle after it glides through re-entry seems quite low.  Is 9000 pounds at landing the mass of the entire airframe including engines and avionics?

Please show your work, so members like kbd512 and gW Johnson can evaluate it for the rest of us.

(th)

#7 2024-05-30 06:45:08

tahanson43206

For RGClark re new topic inspired by RobertDyck....

Please help us fill in the historical record.... RobertDyck recently observed that Atlas (and possibly other early rockets) were capable of SSTO and may have actually achieved it.

If you have a bit of time, and if the subject is of interest, please add posts to a new topic on the history of SSTO, in the new SSTO forum.

Meanwhile, you may have noticed that we now have three entities supporting the theme that SSTO is possible (although difficult).

GW Johnson was first with solid calculations.  Kbd512 came up with a set of numbers recently, and ChatGPT4o gave them the seal of approval.

And ChatGPT4a itself has provided a version of the SSTO possibility from a purely theoretical perspective.

None of this is likely to have happened without the inspiration you've been providing since 2017.  Now you have a chance to help us fill in the historical record. I am looking forward to seeing the reports that may show up in the new history topic.

(th)

#8 2024-06-16 20:39:30

tahanson43206

For RGClark re surprising concept of ultra-lightweight vehicle for return from orbit ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 30#p224530

This post is just to let you know I am surprised by your new line of inquiry, and looking forward to seeing what happens to it.

In this evening's Google Meeting, kbd512 spent a ** lot ** of time reviewing lifting body examples from the Soviet and US experiments.  I think there may have been Chinese experiments in the examples Google found.

The US based Dream Chaser is an example of a (relatively small) vehicle designed to return safely from orbit.  It has passed rigorous testing over a number of years, and (if I understand the reports correctly) is to be launched in the fall of 2024 (August appears to have slipped to September). If the vehicle succeeds, it will be the first since the Space Shuttle to be able to deliver to the ISS and return to a landing field, like the X-37b military space plane does today.

I think your idea (as I understand it) is most interesting, and I hope you will pursue it to see if it can pass muster in a tough crowd. The idea (as I understand it) is to design a flight article with such low wing loading that it can survive the temperatures of re-entry because it is producing less thermal energy because it is so light.

The concept reminds me of a winged seed, that is so light and has such a large "wing" area that it can be carried on the breeze for considerable distance from the launching tree.

Your concept (again, as I understand it) would seem of great interest for a survival package for an individual in orbit to return safely to Earth.  Some thought has been given to this need in the past, but I no longer recall where I saw or heard such ideas.

By coincidence, kbd512 was looking at the lifting body shape offered by Photonbytes in his topic about a space plane design.  What occurs to me in considering what I understand to be your idea, is that a lifting body re-entry package for a single individual human might be made of foam that expands into a lifting body shape that is so light compared to "wing" area that the person could survive re-entry and then glide to a suitable landing site.

kbd512 is talking (and thinking) about a 500 passenger SSTO.  Your post today is at the extreme opposite end of the scale, and I am attempting to take it even further. If you think this idea has merit, and you want to create a topic to develop it, we might be able to find a suitable Category, or SpaceNut might even be willing to make one

(th)

#9 2024-06-17 05:38:13

tahanson43206

For RGClark re post by kbd512...

The post by kbd512 asking for a link to prior art is an important contribution to this dialog.

I doubt there are any examples from human history, but we need to know if there are, and you are the right person to find out.

What I am attempting with this post (and with the previous one in this topic) is to encourage you to continue developing your innovative thinking so allow us (members of NewMars forum) to collaborate on a Lifeboat from Space project.

Collaboration is NOT a characteristic of the forum to this point, but I have seen signs that indicate there may be a way to achieve it on a small scale.

What I have in mind is using the new Project category that SpaceNut created recently.

I am curious to know if you can see the new Project category?  SpaceNut restricted visibility of the Category to registered members, and I want to be sure you can see it.

I am also curious to know if you have any actual project experience?

The field of mathematics is not generally thought of as a group endeavor, but in this case, I have a project in mind that will call for active participation by a number of current NewMars members, with the option of adding more participants over time.

The goal would be to find a solution set for a lifeboat that can be carried aloft on a Falcon 9, and then expanded into a flight worthy lifting body for emergency return of a human to Earth.

What I'm thinking about is filling a sock made of kbd512's favorite materials with foam, so that it has the needed lifting body shape.

The life support package would be able to sustain one atmosphere since the ISS has 1 atmosphere and humans are going to need that in their return vehicle.

The electronics package would be designed to navigate/operate the space craft to get the human to a safe landing even if the person is unconscious or not qualified, as would be the case with a civilian being brought home.

There is a business opportunity here, and all existing space faring nations are potential customers.

(th)

#10 2024-06-18 05:18:38

tahanson43206

For RGClark...

Would you be willing to tell us (me in particular) a bit more about your interests in mathematics?

All I've been able to discover so far is that you are still listed as a math tutor at an East Coast university.  My guess is you may have retired from the full time teaching load I'm guessing you carried for many years.

I ask because I am trying to put together a proposal to the Mars Society, and I'm hoping there is a piece that you might be able to help us to fill in.

GW Johnson is a very practical mathematician, as you have (hopefully) seen by studying his many postings over recent years.

However, Dr. Johnson is focusing upon the foundation math skills needed to prepare young people for careers as spacecraft navigators.  There is going to be a huge industry shipping cargo from Earth to Mars and other solar system destinations.

I am looking for someone to pick up the education sequence from where GW leaves off.

Specifically, I am looking for someone able and willing to learn how to use GMAT to plan and to manage flights.

I have in mind proposing to set up a fuel depot on Phobos, and in order for this to work, we humans will need to put many tons of input materials on Phobos.

I am concentrating on Phobos because it is a concrete entity that other humans can understand.  The abstract concept of an orbit around Mars is not what I am looking for, in attempting to prepare a proposal.  Elimination of uncertainty is a key element of achieve consensus by a group of humans.

If you would be willing to point me (us) to a CV you might have published, it might help me to understand the kind of mathematics you enjoy, and in particular, enjoy teaching.

There are abstract mathematicians, and there are practical ones.  Space navigation calls for some practical mathematics.

The teaching opportunity is to prepare thousands of young humans for careers navigating cargo around the Solar system.

GW's work provides a solid foundation for a career in that field.

I am looking for someone to help pickup up the thread from where GW leaves off.

(th)

Board footer