New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2022-01-15 15:07:37

tahanson43206

SpaceNut Postings

This new topic is overdue but I've been waiting for a suitable occasion ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 05#p190205

The post at the link above is an excellent example of SpaceNut's search mastery.

It shows two takes on the prospect of actually ** making money ** (gasp!) by sequestering Carbon.

I looked in vain for any sign the folks involved are thinking of using nuclear power to drive their processes.

Apparently wind and solar energy are the focus of their efforts right now.

(th)

#2 2022-01-17 07:59:39

tahanson43206

Re: SpaceNut Postings

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p190257

This post contains a striking image of an automobile assembly that incorporates a bearing interface.

In addition, SpaceNut has assembled a set of links to information about RTG's (power generators based upon decay of radioactive isotopes).

(th)

#3 2022-01-20 07:20:40

tahanson43206

In this post, SpaceNut collected text, links and pictures about hydro-energy-storage

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 48#p190348

(th)

#4 2022-01-20 17:54:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

They are also plausible for the desalination project as well...

#5 2022-02-01 19:56:12

tahanson43206

SpaceNut has contributed many perfectly matched posts to support member offerings.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 42#p190742

This is another example!  it shows an image that carries many of the characteristics of the Large (Football shaped) Ship proposal!

(th)

#6 2023-11-09 20:11:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... thank you for the very nice closing post for the Glucose topic!

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 74#p215774

Those images show what the topic was supposed to produce, but that will not happen.

(th)

#7 2023-11-23 12:05:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thank you for this helpful addition to the South of the Border topic ..

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 96#p216196

(th)

#8 2023-12-31 19:24:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut New Year's Eve ... thank you for the timely notice of the April Solar Eclipse, and for the report of the new mission for the remarkable probe that  visited Bennu, brought the lander back, and is ** still ** able to tackle another challenging mission.

(th)

#9 2024-01-02 18:55:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re link to ornl site .... http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 31#p218031

Thanks for this outstanding find!

It contains a great deal of information that any NewMars reader interested in Nickel-63 would surely find helpful/interesting/enlightening.

The use of the isotope for explosives detection was new to me, and I'm glad to know it is in service of security for our citizens and our visitors.

The details of production were ** very ** interesting.  The multiple passes (15 if I recall correctly) shows that making Ni-63 is not an easy process.  I liked the explanation that the 100.1 year half life means the producers don't have to hurry.

Another detail that I appreciated was mention of the 3.6% of refined nickel.  To clarify a point. That is not 3.6 of the ore. That is 3.6% of the highly refined nickel (between 99.8 and 99.9 %).

The article is dated: January 3, 2011 - The price of $5.92 per pound has increased over the past 10 years.

(th)

#10 2024-03-21 18:24:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Container packed solar panel accordion power generator ...

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 54#p220654

Thanks for finding and showing that powerful and compact package.

If Louis were still here, I think he'd approve of the packaging for deployment on Mars.

(th)

#11 2024-03-27 18:34:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re link to post by Louis that you put into My Hacienda topic ...

This is a minor fix ... the link you left in the post is to the open edit where you copied the text...

If you want to let folks go to the original post, the link is: https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 77#p144977

You'll see the problem if you test the link as an ordinary visitor to the site, and not as an Admin.

(th)

#12 2024-04-13 10:01:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re test account....

Hoping you might have time this weekend to take a look at the test account.

I set the password and hope you can change it soon!

Update ... I just logged in with the temporary password and it worked. Please change it as soon as possible.

(th)

#13 2024-04-25 08:58:43

tahanson43206

Copied from Clone:

For SpaceNut re #38 ... thanks for finding and showing the time of turmoil when hackers were beating mercilessly on the Register button.

I am finding it challenging to keep up with three forums!

Right now, I am working in the clone.

A moment ago, I posted in the production forum.

And earlier I was working in the phpBB3 test forum.

I am inevitably going to lose track of who I am talking to about what in which forum.

However, that said, this is an exciting time for NewMars!

When we are through this period, regardless of how things turn out, we'll be better positioned to add new members.

(th)

#14 2024-05-12 07:17:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re contribution to Housekeeping re Like feature...

Thanks for picking up on this idea, and for adding the Thumbs Up image!

I don't think a hash table is needed for this particular feature, but that is an interesting suggestion.

In this case a simple index of the Post ID and separately of the Member ID would be sufficient.

These two indexes would allow rapid lookup for display.

The most frequent lookup would occur when the post is displayed by a viewer.

This would require modification of the posts PHP script, but that script would need to be modified anyway to implement the feature.

The idea is to insure that the new feature executes rapidly, and indexing those two columns would insure that.

(th)

#15 2024-05-27 08:50:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was one and was checking the forums front page and saw a huge amount of guests.

Total number of registered users: 19,630
Total number of topics: 8,482
Total number of posts: 219,428
Newest registered user: GStanley2023
Registered users online: 1

Guests online: 149

Online: SpaceNut

#16 2024-05-27 11:11:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re count of "guests"

I've tried to explain to you that those are spammers.

Not more than one or at most two of those is a real person wanting to read the forum.

I see this every day at the Knowledge Forum. We now have over 40,000 spammer accounts, and hundreds of simultaneous bot programs are attempting to gain access to the phpBB forum from 2012.  A great number have succeeded in tricking the registration function into granting them regular member status. That should not be possible (of course) but it obviously is.

I don't know if you have access to a list of the "guests" but if you do, you will be able to quickly see that the IP addresses are almost certainly foreign countries.

I keep trying to tell you this, but for some reason the information doesn't seem to stick.

Here is the count as of the moment this post was saved:

Newest registered user: GStanley2023
Registered users online: 2
Guests online: 154

I expect there are NO regular humans in that count.

(th)

#17 2024-05-27 14:16:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Since guest is not an actual user it has to do with IP contacts or "Server load" which is not going to get a set of would-be spammer ip's to block such as a BOT...

#18 2024-06-01 08:47:26

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Your topic title seems to indicate you are interested in helping kbd512 with his 500 passenger design.,

You will have noticed that kbd512 does not intend to use seats, but instead is considering net hammocks.

Your post seems to be looking at Starship and it's 100 passenger design.

In any case, Starship is not a Single Stage to Orbit design and it never will be.

If you were an ordinary member, the Admins would simply move your posts to the correct topics.

However, as Senior Admin, it is up to you to put your posts into the correct Category and correct Topic.

(th)

#19 2024-06-11 18:08:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Sabot link in Vertical...

Thanks for showing the image of a Sabot around a bullet

I'm watching the competition between inclined launch assist and vertical with great interest.

I think that both would work, because both have been used in the past in various ways, but the challenge that NewMars members have taken on is to try to find a way to operate an SSTO vehicle in a way that makes economic sense, and achieves 100% re-usability.

As far as I know humans have not yet achieved that combination, so the NewMars community has as good a chance as any to invent or discover a solution.

You should have received email about a possible meeting about the proposed upgrade of our forum software. I understand you will be working during the hours when such a meeting might occur, but I'll try to make sure you are covered in any reporting that comes out of it.

(th)

#20 2024-06-30 19:26:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re terrific find in SpinLaunch topic ...

Thanks for following the discussion on your Smartphone, and for doing the lookup to answer kbd512's question about pointing.

That video shows pretty clearly that the orbital shot will be inclined to perform just as kbd512 was describing.

The straight up test shot is advantageous because the test vehicle is likely to come back to Earth relatively close to the launch site.

(th)

#21 2024-07-22 17:31:00

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re post in SpinLaunch topic...

Keep in mind that any changes to the length and width as well as mass means changes to the spin unit itself must be made as well.
Length will affect larger arc or diameter to allow for it to move freely. Width means that opening will need to be made larger as well. Of course, these also mean the arm must be able to support the much larger mass.

Thank you for your timely and helpful observations about this inititive.

The problem GW is attempting to address is how to work backward from the payload in orbit, to the launch system, given only three items of data: The payload to be launched is 200 kg, the velocity at launch is 5000 mph, and the angle of launch is 45 degrees.

With only those items of data to work from, GW has performed what looks to me like a near miracle to deliver conservative models that use liquid fuel (with greater success) and solid fuel.  The SpinLaunch apparatus is going to have to deliver the projectile at the required velocity and angle, regardless of what they have to do on the front end.

My guess is that GW's design is sufficiently conservative so that there might be room for improvement in performance, but there are plenty of unknowns.

If you have time and if the subject is of any interest, please examine the images I have posted after GW's most recent work session.

The images may look like Greek to you at first, but I think that if you study them long enough, you'll be able to pull out little bits of information.

We are dealing with ** real ** Rocket Science here, so no one should be expecting an easy ride.

As a reminder (mostly for any readers who may not have read earlier posts) the object of the exercise is to deliver 200 kilograms to a low Earth orbit of 150 kilometers, to restock a fuel depot that GW has designed to serve multiple customers.  The SpinLaunch system has the potential to deliver supplies at a cost lower than competing systems, but that is currently only a potential.  The established delivery mechanism is the Falcon 9 and a few comparable rockets if they ever come online.

In order to deliver that 200 kilograms, the third stage rocket (fluid or solid) must push that 200 kilograms from wherever the second stage left off into a circular orbit that matches the fuel depot. GW is planning to use space tugs to retrieve the shipments, but the delivery ** must ** be in the orbital plane of the station.  That orbital plane sweeps over every point in it's range twice a day.  That means that the current design of the SpinLaunch system can only launch to the fuel depot twice a day.  However, the launcher can deliver to other orbits. Expected shot rate is 1 per hour.

In order for the fuel depot to restock between sales to customers, there must be more than one SpinLaunch system. I have estimated 17 would be needed to stock 100,000 kg of propellant in a month. During early years, that might be a reasonable match to customer demand. 

So! To your point.... if the SpinLaunch folks want to deliver ** anything ** to orbit, they are going to need a second/third stage vehicle that can perform the delivery given whatever the SpinLaunch system can provide, and that means they will have to design the SpinLaunch system to work with whatever the second/third stage configuration looks like.

If you (or any of our readers) would like to see that the second/third stages might look like, the recent posts by GW provide a glimpse.

(th)

Board footer