New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-04-06 07:26:57

tahanson43206

Laser Sculpture - Laser cut stone block - Business opportunity

In thinking about home construction methods, on Earth and Mars, it occurred to me that recent advances in laser drilling technology (as reported by MIT in the US and perhaps elsewhere) might lead to development of highly efficient stone cutting tools.

While this topic includes the word 'sculpture', what I have in mind is cutting blocks for construction with precise dimensions.

Humans have been cutting and shaping stone for thousands of years (or so I understand).

A laser cutter would represent a significant advance over steel cutting blades, or crude cuts by freezing water overnight.

This topic is offered for NewMars members who might like to create a business around this concept.

(th)

#2 2024-04-06 07:29:07

tahanson43206

Re: Laser Sculpture - Laser cut stone block - Business opportunity

This post is reserved for an index to posts NewMars members may contribute over time.

What I'm looking for would include:

1) links to reports on laser cutting
2) links to reports on construction using stone blocks (or lava blocks) cut using existing technology.
3) Comments/suggestions/questions as members might be inspired to add them.

if there is a forum reader who would like tp participate in development of this topic, please see Recruiting Topic for procedure.

(th)

#3 2024-04-06 08:55:28

tahanson43206

Here is a first look at the field of laser stone cutting, prepared by ChatGPT4.

Laser Technology for Cutting and Engraving Stone: An Overview

Introduction
The exploration of laser technology has unveiled significant advancements in the realm of cutting and engraving stone materials. From the intricate detailing on marble to the rugged beauty of granite, laser technology offers precision and versatility across a broad spectrum of stone types.

Key Insights from MIT's SensiCut Technology
MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) introduced SensiCut, a smart material-sensing platform for laser cutters. This innovation employs deep learning and "speckle sensing" to distinguish between various materials, enhancing safety and efficiency in laser cutting operations. Source & Source

Practical Applications in Stone Cutting and Engraving
Laser technology has been effectively utilized for cutting and engraving different types of stones:

- Marble and Granite: These stones are highly compatible with laser cutting, yielding exceptional results due to their uniformity and density.
- River Rocks: Ideal for engraving, they offer a unique canvas for detailed artwork, typically marking as white for high contrast.

The process involves several steps, including preparation, design, laser parameter settings, and the actual cutting or engraving phase. Each step is crucial in achieving the desired outcome, emphasizing the stone's inherent qualities for optimal results. Source & Source

Choosing the Right Laser Type
The CO2 laser is preferred for stone engraving, attributed to its wavelength that is effectively absorbed by stone materials. Adjusting the power and speed settings according to the specific stone type is essential for achieving precise engravings without damaging the material. Source

Conclusion
The utilization of laser technology in stone cutting and engraving opens up new avenues for creativity and efficiency in material processing. With advancements like MIT's SensiCut and the strategic application of CO2 lasers, the potential for innovation in this field continues to expand, offering artists and manufacturers alike the tools to transform raw stone into intricate designs and durable works of art.

For a detailed exploration of laser technology applications in stone cutting and engraving, refer to the comprehensive guides provided by Baison, Trotec Laser, and xTool.

(th)

#4 2024-04-06 09:17:31

tahanson43206

I followed up on Post #3 with an inquiry about cutting lava for architecture.

ChatGPT4 came back with a general overview of the use of Lava for construction, but it ran out of steam when I asked for a report.

One detail that may be of interest is that there appears to be someone in Iceland who is directing lava into precut trenches, to make shaped objects.  That method could be used all over the world where lava flows freely.  It might take some effort to design vehicles with forms that could collect hot lava and then move it away for cooling.  Shipping such materials to customer sites would require both time and energy, but I see no other factors that would preclude widespread use of these materials.  The Earth is busy producing hot lava in many locations.

(th)

Board footer