New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2003-05-13 13:23:34

clark

Re: USA, UN, The World - Yankee Rose speaks her mind :)

Where are the WMD, by the way?

Where is the Gulf of Tonkin....

#102 2003-05-13 13:26:08

Bill White

Senator Byrd, I presume?

#103 2003-05-13 13:31:52

clark

Could the man be wrong twice?

#104 2003-05-13 13:39:04

Bill White

Could the man be wrong twice?

If we actually build a stable and democratic Iraq, then "YES" he will have been wrong twice.

If we do not build a stable and democratic Iraq then he will have only been wrong once.

I find myself returning to Tom Friedman's Pottery Barn theory of Iraq, you break it, you own it. We broke Iraq, now we must fix Iraq. I am truly happy Saddam is gone, but this is now only the top of the second inning and as we saw yesterday in Saudi Arabia the other team still has some at bats.

#105 2003-05-13 13:45:39

clark

If we actually build a stable and democratic Iraq, then "YES" he will have been wrong twice.

Building castles out of sand... nice metaphor, don't ya think?

I find myself returning to Tom Friedman's Pottery Barn theory of Iraq, you break it, you own it. We broke Iraq, now we must fix Iraq.

Ah, but is the entity that caused the destruction neccessarily the best suited to undo the damage? Tom Friedman's point presupposes a moral neccessity which glosses over the morality of the victor dictating the creation of an Iraq in it's own image.

I agree that we must shoulder the responsibility of seeing to the reconstruction and stabilization of Iraq, but I do not neccessarily agree that we should be the ones doing it.

#106 2003-05-13 13:59:31

Bill White

Back on topic - future US relations with France (ESA) and Russia are critical to the Mars Society vision of humans in space. clark foresees a US military presence on the Moon and he may well be right, or not. Time will tell on that.

In any event, if US concern over Russian assistance to Iran jeopardizes continuing procurement of Soyuz and if the shuttle is scuttled, and Soyuz rendered off limits for "War on Terror" issues, we will no longer be sending humans into LEO, let alone to Mars.

A whole lot of "ifs" but the USA, UN & the World is a critical aspect of humans to Mars.

#107 2003-05-13 14:06:36

clark

In any event, if US concern over Russian assistance to Iran jeopardizes continuing procurement of Soyuz and if the shuttle is scuttled, and Soyuz rendered off limits for "War on Terror" issues, we will no longer be sending humans into LEO, let alone to Mars.

The actions of China ensure that the US will continue to send humans into LEO.

I am watching the reccomendations of utilizing an apollo style capsule to meet OSP requirements. I think that is what will happen in a 'worst case scenerio' if the Shuttle fleet is scuttled.

I might add that the recent agreement between O'keefe and the head of the Russian space program now allows Russia to tender offers for US launches. Don't they have a nice selection of heavy lift rockets? things that might have gone on the Shuttle?

A whole lot of "ifs" but the USA, UN & the World is a critical aspect of humans to Mars.

ISS wasn't done through the UN. I think any Mars mission will be an international collaboration seperate from exsisting international instutions or treaties. this allows the US to stay firmly in the drivers seat and use it as a means to further or compliment foriegn policy.

#108 2024-04-06 05:22:01

Mars_B4_Moon

an old thread worth a relook maybe, a rise of China predicted, India was predicted to be the world's number 1 superpower by 2020

Five superpowers ruling the world in 2050
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2020 … ld-in-2050

Top 10 economies in 2050, according to PwC’s The World in 2050 report

1. China

2. India

3. US

4. Indonesia

5. Brazil

6. Russia

7. Mexico

8. Japan

9. Germany