New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2023-12-25 19:36:48

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Musicians & musical instruments

Originals of Popular Christmas Songs
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sur … 24898.html

I'm not sure if micro-tones work with an odd time unless you want to make a very jarring effect but maybe better in a composition with a repeating phrase, a simple chord and a straight beat. In some more normal mode or key maybe use odd time.

Want to hear the wonder of deep space? This music is made from NASA's telescope data
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/nas … -1.7052315
Montreal composer drew on same data used to create vibrant images of the cosmos

'What If We Had 31 Notes Instead of 12?'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bi6bO-MCCo

Fans mourn death of Dixie Chicks founder, Laura Lynch
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fan … 21823.html

Like Uminari | 53 tone Equal temperament song 53TET 53EDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpeCMz9kJ-s

Sevish - Gleam (22-tone microtonal 5/4 beat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9wINwlgxRU

Learning Lumatone: Episode 15 - "31-EDO Basics"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoU_7skZ1A

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-12-25 19:46:03)

#27 2024-01-06 11:31:30

Mars_B4_Moon

Astronaut Chris Hadfield would love to fly SpaceX's Starship around the moon

https://www.space.com/astronaut-chris-h … x-starship

#28 2024-02-20 05:36:56

Mars_B4_Moon

Music and word and poetry have been to space, on Apollo, on MIR and the ISS, the word and performances are not entirely spontaneous but almost planned and mimicry of performances and words and tones already done on planet Earth.
In the quest for money and lawsuits. I find it kind of sad and laughable when someone sues over a chord progression, chords have been around a long long time, written down in choir and if not actual chords wrote as an arpeggio a type of broken chord which song writers and composers use. Even now people are dumping lots of lines of melody and chords on the internet by human creation and with AI creation and leaving these chords and melodies of free open use 'copyright free' to keep music as free as possible, expanding ranges of creative works available for others to build upon legally and to share with each other, they are even doing the smaller notes, the cracks between the black and white key on the piano.

You could really get creative and go micro-tonal, some cultures have microtones and Western music used to have a lot more before it was standardized, you might not enjoy these sounds but they can be natural, made on a fretless bass guitar for example or sung with the human voice.

'Sevish - Ganymede'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPCiBY5IZ8

Jacob Collier modulating to G HALF SHARP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUGoUHKAGAE

If humans are on Mars and bring culture with them then I see some type of Piano, Harpsicord or Synth on Mars, it made sense to compose this way hundreds of years ago and still makes sense today. Even today with modern software they still have an artificial piano 'plug in apps' and people who know very little of music still use the piano software to make harmonic sound, it would only take them changing two notes as a new musical Mars foundation of music, adding an extra beat which might seem odd to many cultures for it to be very different,a new note adding new harmony ideas. One could ask will they have the same chords and scales or will they have totally different tone and harmony. In Japan they have a plucked koto which sits flat like a piano and not upright like a guitar, a Japanese plucked half-tube zither instrument derived from the Chinese zheng, in certain styles for example country music some people still keep in guitar flat and pluck it, the Appalachian dulcimer to be distinguished from the unrelated hammered dulcimer, the keyboard or piano although it is 'keys' it will classify as a stringed instrument, a key is pressed and within the piano hammers strike this large flat harp like instrument with a string for each piano note. In the past music seems to have been more simple, the pentatonic scale is a musical scale with five notes per octave, in contrast to modern major or minor scale in pop, or Chromatic using all twelve notes before the Octave, in a strange way although 'The Blues' is American and in pop, and roots in African culture in the new world it could have evolved its own unique ways, undocumented at the time and might also relate more to notes in Native American Indigenous music, African call and response, old 'Negro-Gospel' prayer, groups of singers with music, general folk music of that time which evolved or changed and Asian scales on instruments and other beats and scales brought to the new world. The Greeks however seem to have been extremely advanced in musical ideas, knowing the modes before religion claimed them calling them Church Modes, in music, any one of eight scalar arrangements. Greek having new mathematical and musical concepts for that time. Some slightly different flavor seems to have been lost from Greek to Renaissance polyphony to traditional modality and the quest to standardize everything so anything can be played in any key, perhaps something has been lost, however Greece would have also been a trading civilization and a crossroad of culture.

The dominant cultures arriving on Mars might influence how the artist of Mars will 'sound' they might bring their instrument making expertise, if more Japanese arrive, or religious preacher from Hindi temples in India arrive or Brazilian or Chinese or French just as how sounds from the 'Old World' arrived in the New World as ships went to the Americas. Some musical feats are not from a single people or nation but multi-national efforts, an estimated TV audience was 1.5 maybe 1.9 billion depending on how the audience is counted, the concert raised millions for famine relief.
Artists as different as Queen, Run–D.M.C., Black Sabbath, Bob Geldof, Bryan Ferry, Elvis Costello, Santana, the Band AID fund raiser or Live AID charity concert event.
Led Zeppelin were respected as performers but their drummer had died, two other drummers brought in, singer songwriter Robert Plant described the performance as "a f**king atrocity for us ... It made us look like loonies." According to the BBC World Service, a certain proportion of the funds were siphoned off to buy arms. Bob Dylan had is comments misquoted and then he was criticized, his remark inspired fellow musicians Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp to organise the Farm Aid charity for people in the USA.
In Europe there is a big show everyone hates but admits to watching, it has history after ABBA's Eurovision triumph, on the 25th of April 1974, Portugal rose in revolt and it has voting blocks Nordic countries voting for each other, politics in the Balkans, the British entry getting zero point but that was after 'Brexit'?
It has now become popular for nations to sing in English language for Eurovision rather than their native tongue and there are also zanky ridiculous theatrical entries for the 'show' it also seems to be something setting markers for first gay, lesbian, trans or other rights and political topics, after Russia's invasion Ukraine's won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2022, the contest is at times weird mix of everything.
In the USA when hearing some of the new progressive pop and progressive rock on the web I feel sometimes the lines and rhythm are becoming more interesting, maybe even Brazilian or Hispanic culture influence not a full Clave ritmo Cubana or "bossa", rumba, mambo, and beats of Haiti and Brazil but you hear a lot more funky off beats in the music of California and Texas the past decades, maybe artists even influenced on a sub conscious level a lot more than your usual swung triplet in blues or straight 4/4 in pop and country.

Each language comes with its own rhythm and tones, there is said to be musicality of the Italian language in Opera for example or a vocal performance might sound best in Italian or even Latin. Some languages can have more thump or gut or whisper-ish or nasal or even pitch bend with tones, Brazilian Portuguese can be more rhythmical and tones bounce, in Portugal itself a person hearing it for the first time might think its like a Polish or Russian trying to speak Spanish or more 'flat', German sounds harsh but this could also be partial psycho acoustic the villain in a Hollywood movie will often have a German accent so exposed to film culture our brains could make this connection even sub consciously, Romanian classes as a Romance language and some say it sounds like a mix of French and Italian some Latino-Faliscan, Slavic East European 'Vulgar Latin' influences, many say Greek sounds Spanish sounding, Basque they say will generally similar-ish to Spanish, just outside of the Basque culture the words make no sense, for many they say cultures like Hungarian are some of the odd ones sounding a bit 'Weird'. Some say Polynesia languages sound nice because the speakers use more vowel sounds the 'A E I O U' instead of consonants, the consonant is a type of 'k' Du or p sound, maybe harsh or rhythmical but non-melody with a quick end, a closure of the vocal tract this 'pleasing' nature of vowel might be why music of Hawaii had great periods of popularity.
The environment itself might influence how you and that instrument sound, the world of cold and snow, a soft wind, cliffs and mountain sounds, the dryness or dust in the air which would influence housing and influence language sound and culture, the bird song or other animal sounds nearby which 'inspire' an artist.

You don't need to know how to read music or know theory to get insight and information on music and what it sounds the way it does even old talks can provide a wealth of information.
I have not watched Maestro a 2023 film, stars Bradley Cooper and also directed by Bradley Cooper but maybe I will watch it soon.
In talks he classified two types of pentatonic scales: those with semitones (hemitonic) and those without (anhemitonic).
Leonard Bernstein’s talks show how he had such an amazing ear for music and could break it all down and teach the ideas in simple terms for the non trained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFj6Aq3YQr4

English songs sell worldwide and I wonder if the words themselves also have a catchy series of tones even for non English speakers. Earth has many entertainers which have become popular world wide, Billy Joel is an interesting man on planet Earth, that mix of Rock, Pop, Blues, Classical and sing along Ballad songs, it lays a foundation for the harmonies we expect to hear in music with simple catchy hooks, melodic songs with big, a beat and chord progression sending people into a sing along ballad almost trance like happy world and a performance with big lush productions. He was ripped off by his accountant, mismanagement and three divorces had him lost close to $90 million, a brother-in-law said to be responsible for the loss of Joel’s millions with unauthorized loans, and blatant fraud.

As an artist he seems to still 'have it'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOf6CMbHPuA

Great video maybe lyrics reflecting his own life experiences

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2024-02-23 05:36:16)

#29 2024-02-20 07:26:01

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon ...

Thanks for your lengthy review of possibilities involving music on Mars.

I'm curious to know what you will do with this little tidbit ... Dr. Stanley Schmidt is the longest serving former editor of Analog.  he is also a wind instrument player.

He wrote a piece recently about the problems that will be faced by wind instrument players on Mars (or any planet where the ambient air pressure is less than Earth standard).  In the Case of Mars, RobertDyck is advocating the 3-5-8 rule for atmosphere.  This rule is advised so residents do not have to pre-breathe when going outside the habitat.  The air inside the habitat is 3 parts oxygen, 5 parts inert gas, and a total of 8 PSI or half that of Earth. Your EVA suit uses 3 PSI oxygen.

If I understand Dr. Schmidt's article correctly, wind instruments will sound different on Mars than they do on Earth.

I can provide details from the article if you are interested.

A post about this situation would be a welcome addition to this topic.

(th)

#30 2024-02-22 19:35:27

Mars_B4_Moon

Tahanson this wind vocal sound idea of yours Dr. Schmidt, the 3-5-8 rule for atmosphere RobertDyck is interesting yet it all seems risky but with no risks of losing a person it might be done in a planet simulation chamber, you would simply take speakers and broadcast songs in simulated 'Mars Air' and on the other side of the room you would have a microphone picking up the sound waves and recording the audio broadcast. No vocalists or wind instrument damaged, you simply play songs, your Italian Opera, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton guitarists, the Funky Bass lines, your foreign culture sounds, Bossa nova, Mambo, Tango, maybe Hindi religious music, Balkans Greek Turk Nordic folk music, Chinese folk music, K-pop, Japanese punk rock, Indigenous Native American chant and dance, songs from the old American blues and jazz standards George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Tony Bennet, Aretha Franklin, would the minor scales and modal jazz and odd time for example Dave Brubeck's “Take Five” sound better or worse on Mars, you could test country music name like Johnny Cash to other songs from the Anglosphere Canada, British rock, Australia and modern pop the Justin Biebers and Taylor Swift radio mix. Songs from Baroque period, Western classical music, an improvised piece on a Banjo or Classical Spanish Guitar, the Indian Tabla hand drum instrument, a Japanese stringed Biwa recorded and see what alien air does to these sounds and you might get an engineer type to analyze the sound recorded. Whatever cultures arrive and expand on Mars, be it NASA or China or the Japanese or Musk and Private flights these tourism and colonist trips will probably influence the Mars musical sound. Mars journeys might even have something similar to new fusions of colonial music in the Americas or players with unique personality Cruise Ship Musicians & Entertainers, some unfortunately abusers of weed and alcohol while others become great musicians learning many styles and playing to many audiences, they are entertainers and are expected to adjust their shows and give what the ship population or ship audience wants. I know there are Mars simulations on Earth of Mars air and 'soil' or 'sand', there have also been Microphones sent to Venus and Titan, I'm not sure what is happening inside Europa but some expect it to be like Earths Ocean. In a Mars simulation you might even put a type of greenhouse with plants inside, Mars type boulders and rocks, tables and chairs, Mannequins to simulate people or Astronauts to see how the sound waves are absorbed or bounced around. The lower gravity might damage the human on Mars or could make it easier to carry an instrument, it might inspire dancers to be more bouncy and hoppy while in turn might inspire lyrics and steps and new grooves. This idea of recording a broadcast of alien music on an alien world it sounds like something social media guys like Destin Wilson or Rick Beato would be interested in.

I am not aware Dr. Schmidt was involved in music and wind instruments, I think I seen the name on a past book article and it would be interesting if you could post the link or details. I'm not much of a musician but I can make music on a number of things, on software and I'm something of an all rounder, play some bass, I can play grooves and beats on drum,  get a melody on a penny whistle, find notes and harmony on a piano if given time, I can't play a Clarinet or a Trumpet but I did get a few notes out of them and it takes a special type of breath which can add stress to the human body....musically I can read a little...but very very slowly, strum some chords on guitar, the planet might eat instruments, it may even kill your vocalist if you demand them to perform. I believe it is not impossible to play inside a suit, if I had to wear big garden glove mits I imagine I could still hit some notes on bass, strike a drum, hit blues black keys on piano, down tune a guitar to a drop D or open G use a Slide guitar Guitar playing technique with a bottle neck shape or pipe shape and still make what could qualify as music. The world and plants themselves might inspire new song just as the Environment inspires song on Earth, Asleep In The Desert” by ZZ Top, Stranger on the Shore Acker Bilk, "Yellow Submarine" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles, Mars, the Bringer of War by Gustav Holst and all those other pop songs by Elton John or Bowie etc On Mars the dust, changes in air could destroy instruments so you might want to be able to create the music instruments on Mars locally. If people are testing music on Mars maybe built a music instrument facility locally and be able to perhaps 3-d print the music guitar like instrument, in situ homemade music equipment resources. Looking at ancient culture on Earth you can make music from anything, blocks of wood, animal bone, string, steel, plastic. Mars will probably damage your piano keyboard, your guitar and other equipment, fine dust gets everywhere and Perchlorate and chlorate are potent oxidizers that cause equipment corrosion and are hazardous to human health even at low concentrations. Street performance or busking person with their instruments performing in public places for gratuities can explain to you how the elements damage their equipment, the music equipment they play are not in nice sterile concert halls but exposed to weather and equipment is worn and damaged even though these conditions are 'comfortable' for humans. The good thing about an instrument on Earth is it is not a human body, if a music instrument dies you can always buy or produce a new one.

From my view sending a singer or human blown wind instruments or groups of singers to sing in Mars like early colony conditions would be an unnecessary risk. I would not ask anyone to blow sounds from any instrument on Mars but some musicians artists can be adventurous looking for ways to play chords, they will go to far off locations to sing and do rhythm and melody in new ways, a series of colonies established on Mars could eventually have people and these people might develop their own rules, their own self-discipline and self regulation. For the moment I think sound can be played through audio speakers inside Mars Simulation Facilities that simulate the air and soil of Mars on Earth, colonies on Mars might have their own authority and rules of respect in regard to equipment, audio level, natural equipment or voltage amplified equipment, a colony on Mars could have its rules on 'good behavior' in respect people jumping around, dancing the stomp of feet, microphone noise levels drinking, partying and singing and general rules of behavior to the colony.
Vocalists on Earth already face troublesome conditions, driving around moving in noisy boats in noisy aircraft, moving from cold wet air to warm dry air, moving up or down altitude 1010 feet or 3316.3 meters, being near loud engines and machine, playing at loud performances. moving from warm humid air to cold dry air, even on our planet Earth these changes in condition can irritate the human body, the ears, the eyes, the mouth, the throat. The good thing about playing a musical instrument is its not like the human body, if you break a guitar string on Earth or break a drum stick you can always buy a new one, you can not buy a new human with broken vocals, a person on Mars could face a unique cocktail of oxidants, iron oxides, perchlorates and UV irradiation enough stress on a body without expecting a wind or vocalist performance.

RobertDyck 3-5-8 rule for atmosphere seems like a good idea but we have no info on what living on Mars does to the human. One of the reasons I would not risk a singer or someone on a wind blow instrument is Mars will already probably tax the human body, a long journey to Mars, there is increased radiation, there might be issues of 'Dust' like on the Moon or the fine 'Martian Dust' that has killed many Rovers, the colonies themselves might be too busy making fuel and food and expecting a musical performance might had unnecessary stress. There could be issues of Blood and Bone health like Astronauts and Cosmonauts already experience on the ISS without adding the need to perform vocals, the colonies themselves might be monitored small changes in soil could be important or dangerous, build up of toxins, Carbon dioxide atmosphere, swings in temperature, the dust is so fine it could be get everywhere and be very bad news for human lungs. We could simulate Mars on Earth, put people's bodies into a large Mars fish-tank device with their guitars or drum or whatever, maybe on Earth but with heads inside a space suit, they can keep a singer stable and happy in Earth air the vocalist could have their heads living inside Earth air and sing into a Microphone inside these Motorcycle Helmets or Astronaut helmets. We do not know what Mars does to the human body yet... if we go to other worlds, Europa, Titan, Mars there will be a risk of the cold causing cracks and leaks, a mix of methane and oxygen and 'Electronic instruments' might be a safety issue, there might be a static charge and ignite something, we know what SkyLab and MIR and the ISS has done to the bodies of Astronauts and Cosmonauts but we do not know if person on Mars will face development of cancer and other non-cancer health effects, a human body on Mars might face cardiovascular disease issues and other degenerative tissue effects, if they are singing and blowing into instruments. A person's head might wear a suit to stay 'Earth Comfortable' for example on Earth tv there is 'The Masked Singer' is an American and British reality tv singing competition television series, the Astronaut singer would be doing something similar in a less silly costume. As a performance it all seems a bit silly but people are entertained by the guessing game, the words, the costumes and lyrical content, maybe people of Mars will have their own entertainment shows.

One way you can check blowing or wind without having a human sing or blow a note is to use 'bellow' there are types of Scottish Celtic pipe which that are squeezed not blown, the Church Organ is another instrument that is blown without a person physically blowing from their mouth in Mars air, the Italians and Greeks had pan flute devices some of which made sound by moving liquid, again a human would not risk their mouth and lungs and body in the Mars dust. Before the invention of the computer there was a complex device called an Orchestrion the Orchestrion a generic name for a machine that plays music and is designed to sound like an orchestra or band, inside it there are artificial lungs and pipes. The accordion is a box-shaped musical instrument producing sound by expanding or compressing the bellows while pressing keys or buttons.
Even in small changes in Earth atmosphere and environment noise a vocalist might complain of sore mouths, Painful Throats, hearing loss and ringing in the ears, ache in the face, they need to stretch their vocals, breathing scale exercises, do Warm-Up without having to face the stress of living on Mars, Fatigue, Dry Air, Smoke, Pollutants, need for Hydrated Throat, loss of Sleep and other Dietary or health issues.
Instruments can be experimented on without risk to human body or risk of damage to the human vocals. However Mars can have people who desire their own freedoms, they might want to solider on and perform or they might just want to explore singing and care not for the risks to their voice, a wind instrumentalist can face similar issues to what a vocalist faces but they also have to clean their instruments from dust, spit, condensation and who knows what other fine particles and chemicals might enter their instrument on an alien world.
Standing Waves Generated by String Vibration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7ZPPqtZEg
A better description of resonance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dihQuwrf9yQ
Tango on Alto-Aeola Concertina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUISk2Qx7rA
Pipes on Earth Troy Donockley Uillean Pipes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jOEWb4314
Two people playing hydraulophone (water pipe organ flute)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVTcv7t_iCU
Self-Playing Orchestra with 17 Instruments - Philipps Paganini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpriHcn_xs

if you can have good ventilation, find a way to clean dusty Rovers and keep very fine Mars dust out of these Pump Pipe Bellows instruments you might have a chance to keep your vocalists healthy.

If Mars is to have nation states, countries go to Mars leaders say they are going to Mars and nations with their people arrive, if it is to have an Olympic games, and 'Space Pirates' and militarization and sports and games and its own indepence movement and sport games, it might have its own approved songs, it could have its own Presidential March, Official country and Martian Kingdom hymn, its own type of Canada Patriotic Game music "Saskatchewan Hymn", "Alberta Bound"  "The Ryans and the Pittmans" types of Authorized song of the Canadian Armed Forces, a Mars Patriotic song  and Sport baller game.
Other world sounds?

In the 1980s the USSR had Venera 14 broadcast an Audio Recording wind noises in a crushing world, a planet with clouds of sulfuric acid and static maybe lightning, a drill noise and super hot creaking metals can be heard, its almost a hellish sound, we do not ever expect a human colonisation of Venus anytime soon, maybe some type of floating balloon cloud village is possible in a far future.
https://archive.org/details/surface-of- … rding-1982
Sounds have been recorded on Titan, it sounds almost familiar like flying in an aircraft sound or a sea shore sound
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10085
We have recordings on Mars
Europa we expect maybe is similar to the water of our Earth
sound under water on Earth is muffled, our ears have evolved to listen for sound on land but they can still hear in water, people report sound under the sea to be mystical, eerie, scary, heavenly or weird or spooky or 'more intense'  the sound waves travel five times faster in water, the water particles are packed more densely so the energy the sound waves carry is transported faster,  sounds which are not very compressible the sound then will propagate long distances like Whale song, the sound itself will arrive strong and fast but not traditionally into your ear but into the bones of the skull, there have been underwater musical performances
'underwater band performs in giant aquariums'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhJLO5pFKTI
a Nunatak a band which performed at the South Pole in difficult conditions
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto … d=11507002
and a band with more resources, American heavy metal band Metallica who put on a concert of sorts
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-moment … ontinents/
and a woman named Tatiana who put on a performance at high altitude mountain, I am unfamiliar with her instrument if it is a traditional instrument from Greece or Cyprus or if it is something she made herself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfFYM1Lxq4c
You are going to need to find a way to keep colonists healthy on new worlds and find a way to get rid of toxins and dust before you demand songs to be sung, however maybe the colonists of Mars might believe its worth the risk just as people have made music in all kinds of conditions on Earth.
On Mars
The sound of a Low Rumble or Bass line or Thud or Kick or Thump should come through in the Mars atmospheric condition, bass travels through everything so Mars will be very bassy, the sparkle or twinkle will be gone from the sound and the wall of sound itself will sound 'far away'. Mars type of air will have fewer molecules there to make the sound work on Earth, you could try hit a drum louder or play a guitar louder but that isn't really going to work as these vibrations of moving need to work harder to make a wave travel, waves in Mars air will have a loss of flux, the air is not like Earth and different Frequency, Wave Shape and Pitch at times seem to move differently in the different pockets of air, Mars might sound 'out of tune' with higher pitches moving faster than lower pitches because of changes in the speed of sound.

#31 2024-02-22 20:20:11

Mars_B4_Moon

I did some searching and they have played Debussy on 'Mars' or a simulation of Mars

Dr Nina Lanza Los Alamos National Laboratory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7C4mR588d0

also

For sound waves traveling through air, relaxation depends on the frequency of the sound and the type of molecules in the air. On Mars, the relaxation after a high-pitched sound happens faster than after a low-pitched sound. That’s because the atmosphere has low pressure and is mostly made of carbon dioxide.

Noises sound totally different on Mars than on Earth. Here’s why
https://www.snexplores.org/article/nois … -heres-why

Movie Soundtracks and Gamer soundtracks could be one of those things that deserve a playing in a Mars simulation room from works like James Horner, Ennio Morricone, Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, Wendy Carlos, John Williams, known for their StarTrek and StarWars and box office scores music to Mike Oldfield, Virgin Records founder Richard Branson found him, maybe almost cursed by fame after the Exorcist supernatural theme but he had other sounds like The Songs of Distant Earth, Moonlight Shadow, Music of the Spheres the spooky X-files theme etc

#32 2024-03-29 14:11:08

Mars_B4_Moon

A headline reads

'Pythagoras Was Wrong: There Are No Universal Musical Harmonies, Study Finds'

but I think BS in this study without full studying the article, by my feel of music harmony, music without an octave the perfect fourth or a power chord, the Fifth your StarWars note....to my ear is just not musical and noisy or does not harmonize, maybe they confuse minor 3rd and sevenths with their personal position they want to sell an idea there are 'No Universal Musical Harmonies'

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/pyt … tudy-finds

from 2019

'We've worked out John Williams' secret to starting a great melody, and it's unbelievably simple'

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-musi … sic-trick/

#33 2024-03-31 03:04:45

Mars_B4_Moon

So the Space Force has a song or anthem and Nick Hague will be taking it with him

it seems like there will be a musical performance

I don't see if he plays an instrument on social media, it says Sports, Doctor Who fans and 'Yoga' so maybe he sings out the notes or sometimes on a station someone else reads classical notation and plays an instrument I know there is usually a guitar around the ISS somewhere.

“So I’m taking up a couple original sheets of music from the Space Force song and I’ll get them back to the band members and composers that helped craft that.”

Each U.S. military branch has a song, and the Space Force unveiled its own at AFA’s Air, Space, and Cyber Conference in 2022. Named after the Space Force motto “Semper Supra,” (Latin for ‘Always Above’) the song took years of work.

“I knew they wanted something that was singable and that fit with the other anthems—the other service songs—and that would be something that could last,” Jamie Teachenor, who composed the song, told Air & Space Forces Magazine. A former member of the U.S. Air Force Academy’s country band, Teachenor worked on the song with then-Chief of Space Operations Gen. John “Jay” Raymond and Coast Guard Chief Musician Sean Nelson to arrange it for performance.

Sean Nelson music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4fdJFhuYE

it sounds like it will be a vocal piece and not played on any instrumentation, but maybe they would also electronically edit the video and add instrument sounds.

Board footer