New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-03-13 18:17:42

tahanson43206

Sodium Used For Batteries

This topic is inspired by an observation of Terraformer, in another topic.

There is a topic about Lithium, created by SpaceNut. 

Terraformer's observation was in response to the concerns of some NewMars members, that lithium is in short supply compared to other materials on Earth. 

The fact that Lithium has turned out to be so useful for a variety of applications has encouraged the capitalist system to invest, and the more investment that occurs, the more applications are found, and improvements are made to existing ones.

And ** those ** developments impel the capitalist system to invest in finding more Lithium.

However, there are one or two voices lamenting the fact that there does not appear to be enough Lithium to meet all the potential demand.

It is in that context that Terraformer's observation about the relative abundance of Sodium (in sea water as well as in deposits under the land surface) provides an opportunity for NewMars members to develop a topic about Sodium.

(th)

#2 2024-03-13 18:18:49

tahanson43206

Re: Sodium Used For Batteries

This post is reserved for an index to posts that may be contributed by NewMars members over time.

If there is a reader of the forum who would like to participate in helping to build this topic, please see the Recruiting topic for procedure.

(th)

#3 2024-03-13 18:39:39

tahanson43206

Gemini has had it's wings clipped severely due to criticism .... it can no longer access the Internet.  However, within that limitation, it tries to answer questions as best it can ...  In this case, I asked for suggestions that might help our members to contribute to this new topic:

Conversation with Gemini

Hello Again ... a forum where I serve as a (Junior) Moderator has been discussing the use of lithium for batteries.  The use of Lithium is successful, and investment is pouring into the field to try to improve performance. At the same time, investment is pouring into the extraction opportunities that exist on Earth. I am encouraging a topic about the use of Sodium for batteries. I understand that Sodium is much less attractive than Lithium for the purpose, but there is so much more Sodium available, I'm wondering what the status of current use might be, and what research is in progress to improve prospects. I understand you've been restricted a bit, but you may still have access to enough information to inspire our members to investigate any leads you may provide.

You're right, while Lithium-ion batteries dominate the rechargeable battery market due to their high energy density, Sodium-ion batteries are gaining traction as a potential alternative due to the abundance of sodium and its lower cost.

Here's a summary you can share with the forum members to spark their interest:

Advantages of Sodium-ion batteries:

Abundant resource: Sodium is significantly more abundant than Lithium, reducing concerns over resource limitations.
Lower cost: Sodium is much cheaper to extract and process compared to Lithium.
Improved safety: Sodium-ion batteries generally exhibit higher thermal stability, reducing fire risk.

Disadvantages of Sodium-ion batteries:

Lower energy density: Lithium-ion batteries currently offer almost double the energy density of their sodium counterparts. This translates to shorter run time or requiring a larger battery for the same power.
Lower cycle life: While research is ongoing, Lithium-ion batteries typically outperform sodium-ion batteries in terms of recharge cycles.
Current use and research in Sodium-ion batteries:

Stationary energy storage: Due to their lower energy density requirements, sodium-ion batteries are being explored for large-scale energy storage applications like solar and wind power integration.

Research focus:
Improving electrode materials to achieve higher energy density and cycle life.
Developing electrolytes that enable faster charging and better performance at extreme temperatures.
Here are some additional resources (avoiding providing links directly):

Search: "Sodium-ion battery research progress"
Search: "Sodium-ion batteries for renewable energy storage"

Sharing this information with the forum members can encourage further exploration of sodium-ion batteries as a potential alternative. While they may not be a direct replacement for Lithium-ion batteries in all applications due to the current limitations, the ongoing research and inherent advantages hold promise for the future, especially in areas where cost and safety are critical factors.

Thank you!  I'll give you appropriate credit for these suggestions, and hope our members will be inspired to contribute posts to add value to the topic. 

I'm glad I could be helpful! Your forum discussions about sodium-ion batteries are valuable.

Here are some additional points you can consider mentioning:

Environmental impact: Lithium extraction can raise environmental concerns. Sodium production is generally considered less impactful, offering an advantage for sustainable battery solutions.

Government incentives: Several countries are investing in sodium-ion battery research and development, recognizing their potential for a more secure and eco-friendly future.

Encouraging forum members to explore research papers and news articles related to "sodium-ion battery advancements" and "government initiatives in sodium-ion battery development" will further enrich the discussion.

(th)

#4 2024-03-14 08:57:37

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Gemini "had its wings clipped" because it started producing images of black nazi soldiers when it was asked by users images of what the nazis looked like.

Board footer