New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#401 2003-11-12 16:13:07

dicktice

Re: Apropos of Nothing

Cindy: I too, on Midsommar Afton (Midsummer Eve) in the Stockholm Archipelago, after imbibing aboard, at about midnight dusk I leapt from the bow of our sailboat supposedly onto the steeply slanting rocky shoreline with with the bow-line, and . . . the next thing I knew I was over my head the water, not a metre from the bow--with my friends pointing, and dying of drunken laughter (skratt). You simply have no judgement when you're drunk as a skunk! ("A little madera, my dear. . . ?)

#402 2003-11-12 19:28:13

Palomar

Cindy: I too, on Midsommar Afton (Midsummer Eve) in the Stockholm Archipelago, after imbibing aboard, at abourt midnight dusk I leapt from the bow of our sailboat supposedly onto the steeply slanting rocky shoreline with with the bow-line, and . . . the next thing I knew I was over my head the water, not a metre from the bow--with my friends pointing, and dying of drunken laughter (skratt). You simply have no judgement when you're drunk as a skunk! ("A little madera, my dear. . . ?)

*Hi dicktice...funny story (because you lived to tell it), but do you realize how close to drowning you may have come?!

I just now realized, though, that my post about booze is missing.  sad  At least three of my posts this week have disappeared into cyberspace for some reason.

I guess I'd better repeat some of it (so other folks won't be scratching their heads, wondering how your post came about):

I tried Kahlua Mudslide for the first time this week.  Yummy; I'll bet chocolate milk instead of regular milk, and a bit more vodka, would make it even better.  Then I recounted the first (and only) time I got drunk, i.e. on a beach in Texas with a boyfriend at 19 years old; stepping out of a building only to wake up wondering why cold, damp, gritty stuff was suddenly pressed against my body and face (I'd flopped down face-first onto the beach; momentary blackout); boyfriend laughing as he almost had to pick me up and carry me to the truck.  The next morning wasn't so great, though...which is why once is enough in the Drunk Department.

Dicktice...do you still hit the fire water from time to time?  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#403 2003-11-13 16:02:09

dicktice

Cindy: Never to get drunk. Never alone, only for social get-togethers. Never if driving afterwards. Wine with meals, when served, but only as aformentioned. Like company, and can "nurse" my drink for hours.
By the way, I just read in the Halifax newspaper's Travel Section about Taos. They praised it to the skies! (Thinks: I bet that gets a reply. . . .)

#404 2003-11-13 16:11:21

Palomar

Cindy: Never to get drunk. Never alone, only for social get-togethers. Never if driving afterwards. Wine with meals, when served, but only as aformentioned. Like company, and can "nurse" my drink for hours.
By the way, I just read in the Halifax newspaper's Travel Section about Taos. They praised it to the skies! (Thinks: I bet that gets a reply. . . .)

*Dicktice:  Northern New Mexico is over-rated.  Unless, of course, you've got lots and lots of money to throw around.  Very expensive.

I have been close to Taos (i.e., Santa Fe); I don't care for any of it.  Very snobbish people who like to flash their turquoise and silver jewelry around, and white people with White Guilt pretending to be Native Americans (comic relief for the Natives, no doubt!).

Southern and Southwestern New Mexico are prettier, friendlier, and more affordable.  big_smile

Back to alcohol:  I'm not much of a drinker either; only social, and then rarely.  But I'm like you...I can "nurse" a drink (even soda) for an hour or two. 

--Cindy   :;):

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#405 2003-11-13 21:24:40

Bill White

I knew someone who lived in Las Cruces for a few years. She said it was wonderful. She also said Alamogordo was awful.

#406 2003-11-17 20:14:33

Palomar

*I've been seeing a lot of 2's today.

Earlier in the day I saw an odometer which read:  222.2

Now, in checking New Mars, I see we currently have 22222 posts (prior to this one, obviously).

Hmmmmmm, I might have to consult one of Robert Anton Wilson's book...see if all these 2's are some sort of Illuminati conspiracy or something.  wink

Maybe it's synchronicity.  Better dig out a Jung book or two...

--Cindy

#407 2003-11-17 20:36:47

Josh Cryer

It was 22222 when I read your post (so you must've posted when I refreshed). smile

I'm always noticing primes (I've always have a fascination with primes, and I know the first thousand or so by heart, which is a bit freaky, huh?) or the number 4 (444 holds a special meaning between my friends and me). Oh, and the 11th of this month, I was awake at 11:11:11 11/11/03 smile

Can't wait until 2011!

On another note, NewMars seems to be hopping with activity! Hope the servers can handle it all. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#408 2003-11-18 06:15:15

Palomar

Oh, and the 11th of this month, I was awake at 11:11:11 11/11/03 smile

On the day i made 18 it was a total solar eclipse ( 11 Aug 1999 ). The eclipse started around 11, and i was born at 11 yikes The maximum point of the eclipse was near my town. Coincidence ?!

Since then, i can make things move, and i can see the future...  big_smile

*Hey BGD, could you also please zap an extra 10 million dollars into my bank account?!  Thanks!  big_smile

To you and Josh:  Have you read of all the 13's surrounding the nearly-doomed Apollo 13 mission?  It makes you wonder...

By the way, 7 is my lucky number.  I'm a 7 person.

--Cindy

#409 2003-11-18 06:45:48

Palomar

*I'm currently transcribing a report of a patient who had some respiratory problems after getting a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken stuck in his esophagus. 

Here is how the doctor relates this:  "He had had this awful problem where he was hospitalized, when he had had a large piece of Colonel Sanders stuck in his esophagus..."

LOL...they sometimes phrase things in the weirdest fashion.  Reminds me of a physician in Nebraska who frequently stated his patients "shouldn't fly with their ears."  By that he meant they should refrain from traveling via airplane when they were having severe troubles with inner ear conditions, particularly as related to allergies.

--Cindy

#410 2003-11-19 13:56:05

Palomar

*Well, I see the knives are out for Michael Jackson once again.

I just saw a short conference with the lead investigators.  They, many reporters, etc., were laughing throughout the interview.

I'm wondering just -what- is so funny in this context.  A child has allegedly been molested, someone has been accused and is being arrested, etc.  I don't find any cause for humor in that setting.

Free Spirit, if there is one area of agreement I have with you regarding being anti-technology, it'd have to be the television camera...definitely.  Swing its lens at most people and they turn into tittering egomaniacs regardless of WHY the camera's pointed at them.  Good grief.

I was disgusted with the entire "police conference," and walked out of the room.

--Cindy

#411 2003-11-19 14:01:30

clark

LOL.

Some people don't see the humor in someone recounting people's private medical conditions, however anonymously it might be.

But to each their own.

#412 2003-11-19 14:34:43

Palomar

LOL.

Some people don't see the humor in someone recounting people's private medical conditions, however anonymously it might be.

But to each their own.

*Well I guess I'd better explain the humor milieu in which I've worked for the past 16 years, in order to prevent possible misunderstandings by others who read here.

I believe the point of my post -- concerning the way in which doctors sometimes phrase things in their dictation -- was missed.  The humor was directed at the way in which the dictating doctors sometimes phrase things ("flying with their ears", etc.); the humor was NOT directed at the patient.

In my line of work transcription supervisors and even doctors will collect "bloopers" made by both doctors and transcribers.  It's kept as discreet and tasteful as possible.  This is acceptable humor in my line of work.

I don't see a connection between my post of a few days ago regarding physician bloopers and Jackson nor his accuser and alleged victim.

--Cindy

#413 2003-11-19 16:05:26

Josh Cryer

::shakes his head::

In any case, it's just another kid looking for jackpot money from Miachael Jackson, he'll get his few million under the table and that'll be it.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#414 2003-11-19 16:29:09

Palomar

*Last Friday we had a lovely silver rain in this area.  The entire sky was overcast -- which is rare in the desert.  We have lots of "isolated thunderstorms," meaning the sky is usually only partly cloudy with rain from just one or two thunderheads.  Friday evening, though, it was entirely overcast and raining for miles around.  smile  Everything was silver...the sky, the streetlight poles, the asphalt.  My husband and I went for a long cruise.  It reminded me of...

When I was a kid, my family used to drive around in the rain quite often.  My dad would buy a big jug of milk -- usually a gallon -- and two 1-pound Hershey bars (usually with almonds).  We'd all be eating chocolate and drinking milk, talking and riding around.  :*) 

--Cindy

#415 2003-11-19 16:43:51

Byron

*Well I guess I'd better explain the humor milieu in which I've worked for the past 16 years, in order to prevent possible misunderstandings by others who read here.

I believe the point of my post -- concerning the way in which doctors sometimes phrase things in their dictation -- was missed.  The humor was directed at the way in which the dictating doctors sometimes phrase things ("flying with their ears", etc.); the humor was NOT directed at the patient.

In my line of work transcription supervisors and even doctors will collect "bloopers" made by both doctors and transcribers.  It's kept as discreet and tasteful as possible.  This is acceptable humor in my line of work.

I fully agree, Cindy.  Humor is one of the precious things that make our lives just a *tad* more worthwile.  Believe me, if you've read all the "All In a Day's Work" pages in Reader's Digest as a child like I have, you would understand how people make fun of workplace situations.  It's just human nature.  I do realize there may be a touch of schadenfrude in there, when we're making fun of other people's unfortunate situations, but if it's carried out in a "generic" manner, what's the harm in it? 

In fact, I have some excellent examples of "scary" humor right here...check these doozies out:

<quote--- A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down. San Jose Tower Noted:
"American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the
runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the
Guadalupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the light
and return to the airport." --->quote

<quote---The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned
as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know
one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any
assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we
(a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between
Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign
Speedbird 206.

Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."

Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."

The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate
location now."

Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206,
have you not been to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944 -- but I didn't land."  ---quote>

<quote---A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance
time?" Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must
speak in English."

Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German
airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British
accent): "Because you lost the bloody war." ---quote>

While air traffic control protocol (and safety) is a very important matter, pilots apparently don't have a problem making humor out of bad situations.  It's not like the passengers hear what's going on...same thing with cops, doctors, teachers, etc...it's one of the things that make going to work fun..lol.

B

#416 2003-11-19 17:19:09

dickbill

In any case, it's just another kid looking for jackpot money from Miachael Jackson, he'll get his few million under the table and that'll be it.

I am afraid you might be true Josh.
Who is stupid enough to send his/her kid for "a day in private" with Jacko knowing what happened in the past.

#417 2003-11-19 18:41:21

dicktice

Please help me, since I just landed from Mars: What does "lol" mean--am I the only one who doesn't "get it"?

#418 2003-11-19 19:00:54

Byron

Please help me, since I just landed from Mars: What does "lol" mean--am I the only one who doesn't "get it"?

lololoLOLolol....  big_smile

It means "laughing out loud" or "lots of laughs."  Shorthand for "virtual" chuckling is a good way of looking at it.  ROFL means "rolling on the the floor laughing" lol...

B

#419 2003-11-19 20:15:43

Palomar

I fully agree, Cindy.  Humor is one of the precious things that make our lives just a *tad* more worthwile.  Believe me, if you've read all the "All In a Day's Work" pages in Reader's Digest as a child like I have, you would understand how people make fun of workplace situations.  It's just human nature.  I do realize there may be a touch of schadenfrude in there, when we're making fun of other people's unfortunate situations, but if it's carried out in a "generic" manner, what's the harm in it? 

In fact, I have some excellent examples of "scary" humor right here...check these doozies out:...snip...

While air traffic control protocol (and safety) is a very important matter, pilots apparently don't have a problem making humor out of bad situations.  It's not like the passengers hear what's going on...same thing with cops, doctors, teachers, etc...it's one of the things that make going to work fun..lol.

B

*Great quotes, Byron.  smile 

My favorite airline pilot anecdote has to be the one about the pilot who had to take charge of a seeing-eye dog that had been aboard his airplane, for some reason (I think the seeing-eye owner's dog was taken ill).  He put on his sunglasses, took hold of the dog's leash, and walked into the airport lobby.  He said people began gasping -- then he realized how it looked!  big_smile  I believe that was a true story.

I love "All In a Day's Work" from Reader's Digest, but haven't read it in quite some time.

A blooper of my own, in my line of work:  Around 1990, while working in a multispeciality clinic in Iowa, the doctor was discussing a patient's hands.  He said "and she has polyshon."  I was like, "Huh?"  Poly- means "many"...I wasn't sure what "shon" referred to; had never heard of it before.  I had the other 2 transcribers listen, and we were all busy trying to find the mystery word in the medical dictionaries, etc.  Finally, we gave up and I went to ask the physician.  He looked up, looked perturbed, and said, "She had nail - polish - on."  I was mortified; my face turned red and I hurried out of his office, teehee.  Ay carrumba.  Oh well.

Hmmmmm.  Then there was the time Jeanne,  coworker, put on a gorilla mask and gorilla hands, and we ushered her into an exam room, covered her with one of those white sterile blankets, shut off the lights, and rushed to tell the same doctor I referred to above that he had to see this patient right away.  The nurses were in on this gag too, ha ha.  He came out, sheepish and laughing with us...being a good sport about it (although I'm sure he knew something "was up" the second he opened the exam room door and saw that the "patient" was fully draped and the lights off).  A fun spot in an otherwise (rare) slow day in the office.

--Cindy

#420 2003-11-19 20:24:12

Shaun Barrett

Hi Byron!
    Thank you very much for that comical light relief concerning airports and airliners!

Ha-ha-ha !!!   :laugh:

I called my wife to come and read through it and we both had a good laugh. I do enjoy laconic humour.
    Thanks again!
                                       smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#421 2003-11-19 20:33:48

Palomar

I am afraid you might be true Josh.
Who is stupid enough to send his/her kid for "a day in private" with Jacko knowing what happened in the past.

*I think Michael Jackson is innocent. 

It certainly was not wise (understatement) to have kids overnight at his place.  Rich and/or famous people have enough problems with gold diggers, blackmailers (potential or otherwise), negative publicity, etc.; having kids overnight at his place is just "asking for it." 

Michael is eccentric.  He's different.  That doesn't mean he's a pervert.  He didn't have much of a childhood.  He is trying to recapture that childhood, although unfortunately he is disregarding societal standards to his own detriment.  He is very warm, kind and gracious to his adult fans.  He will embrace adult fans and return (sincerely) an "I love you." 

I think he's like the Frankenstein monster of the original story.  He's odd, wanders out and picks flowers with a little girl, and suddenly the villagers (who detest DIFFERENT) are chasing him with axes and torches to kill him.  sad 

I really, REALLY would be surprised to find out Michael Jackson is a child molester or has done nasty things with kids.  I just don't see that in him.  He's got a child-like purity of soul, very rare in adults -- at least that's the impression I have of him. 

I know the saying, "Child molesters love kids."  But people who aren't perverts can love kids too, especially if inside they are child-like.

It's for a jury to decide, and innocent before proven guilty.  The only "crime" I know him to be guilty of is being a bit stupid.  He faced these allegations 10 years ago; if he'd been smart, he would have taken steps to ensure the potential for another accusation couldn't happen.  He should have stopped having kids overnight at his place after the first allegations.  He shouldn't have had them overnight to begin with!

Until he's proven guilty, or a lot of suspicious evidence comes out, I'm supporting him.  I don't think he's capable of hurting a child or seeks to harm them. 

Generally I'm rather cynical about these things, but this is an exception.  And no, I don't consider myself a fan of his (I like some of his music, but don't own any of it...just jazz along to it over store PA's or the radio, when it comes on).

--Cindy

#422 2003-11-19 21:50:38

Shaun Barrett

And thanks to you, too, Cindy!
    Good stuff ... especially the blind pilot one.
                                        big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#423 2003-11-20 07:44:26

dickbill

*I think Michael Jackson is innocent.

No, he is guilty at least of bad behavior. You need to be insane to invite a 12 old boy in your bed, even a friend (I don't know what is friendship between a 12 and a 45 old), or to have "bad ideas" behind your head. No normal adult man, exhausted after a day at work, would ask a 12 old, hyperactive kid to sleep with him, if not to have some sort of sexual voyeurism, at least. Jacko played with the fire, or the devil if you prefer, and lost once again.

Board footer