New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-06 15:50:19

Palomar

Re: Interplanetary Hitchhiker - ...Finnish Rover Needs a Lift!

Read Me

*Interesting.  It's called "Miro," is touted as having "the most advanced planetary drilling equipment ever devised," but they've hit some snags regarding funding and budgets.

Hopefully a solution can be found soon.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-16 12:28:42

Wim
Website

Probably when Finland joins the ESA projects, the rover will get a place on one of the next rides to Mars ?

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#3 2003-11-16 14:12:42

Free Spirit
Banned

The United States should offer to launch it.  Drilling is probably the only way we're going to find evidence of life on Mars since the surface is so hostile and prone to erosion.  The article doesn't say though how deep the rover can drill.  Hopefully it can go at least the 20 centimeters it said comparable technology is capable of.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-12-01 10:39:58

Ian Flint
Banned

The article says Miro will take a sample from a depth of two meters.  Nice!!

Board footer