New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-07 23:55:29

Phobos

Re: Martian Survival Kit - What should be in it?

So what do you think early Mars colonists might put in a survival kit for excursions away from home?  I imagine there might be a small transmitter with a homing signal incase some unfortunate soul gets stranded.  I couldn't imagine trying to give someone directions to my location if I was out in the middle of nowhere.  I imagine the rover might have a homing signal of its own but it's good to have redundancy.  Maybe a small one-person tent that you could pressurize up somehow with a portable technology I'm unfamiliar with, especially if the rover in an unpressurized type?  Well, that one might not be so practical.  And of course don't forget the big bowie knife. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-06-08 06:01:59

Byron

You would need a portable back-up power supply for sure, for heat generation.  A transmitter wouldn't do you much good if you were frozen solid in the -60 degree cold by the time the rescuers got to you.. :0

Another thing I've thought of in the the past are what I like to call "life bubbles" to keep in pressurised rovers and the like in case of pressure failure...these would be like transparent bags with a zipper along one side of it...you crawl in and zip yourself up, yank a ripcord, and it'd inflate with you inside.  This would be far faster than donning a spacesuit, which could mean the difference between life and death if all the air was rushing out of the hab or vehicle you were in.

#3 2002-06-08 13:24:41

Phobos

haha, yeah really.   It'd suck to get stranded only to find your transmitter has dead batteries.  smile  I love that idea about the small air bubbles.  Maybe you could design the rover to immediately inflate the bubble itself if a sensor detects that the pressure is beginning to drop to dangerous levels.  And maybe put the transmitter inside of the bubble to begin with so you don't accidently forget to take it in the bubble with you. smile

#4 2002-06-09 01:21:21

Shaun Barrett

So you're inside the bubble, the rover has depressurised, CO2 is building up rapidly in your limited air-space, you can't walk around, you can't pick up a tube of sealant to repair the leak ..... I don't get it!!
                                      :0

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2002-06-09 07:15:00

Byron

I think this illustrates how dangerous being out on the Martian surface really would be...Mars will not be a merciful planet at all for people that chose to go there in the future. 

For reasons of safety, rovers will probably travel in pairs on exploration missions; if one wrecks and is disabled, the other would be there to assist.  The idea of the bubbles is just to buy a bit of time in case of sudden depressurization...sure you may be not be able to do anything, but at least you're still alive to be rescued.  The other alternative is to wear a full-fledged pressure suit at all times, ready to snap the visor down at the first sign of trouble...but they'd be quite uncomfortable and difficult to work in.  Of course, if you're alone and get into trouble a 1000 klicks from any help...you'd be **** out of luck regardless what kind of emergency systems you might have on the rover...

#6 2002-06-13 12:30:28

Pat Galea
Banned
Website

I highly recommend this site: Equipped to Survive.

It's focus is Earth-bound survival, but I think the Martian environment will be very similar to the arctic and desert.

Of course, you'll have to add any specific Mars requirements e.g. pressure suit, air etc.

But that site is well worth reading anyway, even if you don't plan to go to Mars.

#7 2002-06-13 13:44:40

Bill White

The following is an excerpt from spacedaily.com - the full article has more information

US Soldier Of The Future To Be Loaded With High-Tech Gear Washington (AFP) June 13, 2002

The US infantryman of the future will go into battle wearing an all-weather outfit, ultra-light body armor, and a helmet that allows close radio communication with medics and leaders. He will even ride aboard a revolutionary robotic "mule" of sorts.

The goal, according to designers, is to equip soldiers with the high-tech equipment by sometime between 2008 and 2015.

Jean-Louis "Dutch" De Gay, project engineer for the Objective Force Warrior -- an army program designing equipment for the soldiers of the future -- said that the primary design consideration was weight.

If you visit the Objective Force Warrior website you will see that these "suits" are intended to protect soldiers from chemical and biological agents - with fully contained air supplies as an option - contain micro-tubing for carrying heated or cooled liquid around the body, contain biosensors to monitor medical vital signs and the helmets can be sealed up with infrared optical devices and integrated night vision binoculars as well as GPS and communications gear.

Light weight hardened laptop style computers are being designed into the backpacks as well.

Such a suit - if US military issue by 2010 or 2015 - would be a fine place to start for Mars EVA suits. Also, check out the "mule" a one person robotic transport device powered by fuel cells and batteries that can purify water as well as carry stuff.

#8 2002-06-13 15:36:01

Palomar

Phobos asks:  "So what do you think early Mars colonists might put in a survival kit for excursions away from home?  I imagine there might be a small transmitter with a homing signal incase some unfortunate soul gets stranded.  I couldn't imagine trying to give someone directions to my location if I was out in the middle of nowhere."

*I suppose it would depend on distance (actual or calculated) from the nearest human habitat (so it could be seen), but what about a flare gun (modified for the Marsian environment)?

--Cindy

MS member since 6/01

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#9 2002-06-13 16:47:27

Phobos

If you visit the Objective Force Warrior website you will see that these "suits" are intended to protect soldiers from chemical and biological agents - with fully contained air supplies as an option - contain micro-tubing for carrying heated or cooled liquid around the body, contain biosensors to monitor medical vital signs and the helmets can be sealed up with infrared optical devices and integrated night vision binoculars as well as GPS and communications gear.

Hey Bill you beat me to it!  I saw this same article at another site and I was thinking the same exact thing.  Even though I hate the idea of weapons, if this thing is good enough to run around to kill people in and survive war-like conditions, it should allow astronauts both comfort and dexterity on a level that exceeds any current space suit.  The only problem though is that the space suit being mentioned isn't built for the vaccuum and temperature conditions of Mars.  It would probably need additional layers and equipment to work properly in the Martian environment.  But even then it's probably a good model to base a Mars suit on.

*I suppose it would depend on distance (actual or calculated) from the nearest human habitat (so it could be seen), but what about a flare gun (modified for the Marsian environment)?

It might be a good idea for the colonists to carry a flare gun on their belt as a means of last resort.  I think bright green would be a good color for the flare.  It would contrast nicely with the Martian colors.

Board footer