New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2023-12-27 09:38:03

Void

Re: Technological Cumulativeness, (Accumulation).

In the previous post I included the idea of canal water in conjunction with air power storage.  I would like to go further with that looking a wind power more than solar power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80av4zlDco
Quote:

How Britain is turning the North Sea into a massive power plant

CaspianReport

I am aware of the waste problem with windmill blades.  Not sure this proposal has legs, but I will place it here, and anticipate that eventually the problem will be solved: https://www.ucdavis.edu/climate/news/a- … ine-blades

In the just previous post I mentioned canals as energy storage devices.  Well, Europe has lots of heritage canals as I understand it.  I will pick out Holland as a place where canals and solar polders might work well.

A quote pulled from the previous post:

I am looking at the water in the canal, and the distillation process I mentioned in the prior post.

Lets suppose that during the day when you were generating liquid air or even compressed air you dumped the heat into the bottom of the canal.

The previous night you might have cooled the bottom water to 39 degF. by expanding liquid air or compressed air to run a turbine at night.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=convert+f … c1f785ba5a

39 degF = 3.88888889 degC.  This is the heaviest fresh water normally in a pond/lake/canal, so will stay at the bottom even if the surface water might be 90 degF.  (32.2222222 degC).

So, during the day you could warm all the water in the canal top to bottom to 90 degF, and during the night cool all the bottom water to 39 degF with your "Air" energy storage process.

In the previous post I mentioned a canal, but lets switch to a polder for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder
Image Quote: 330px-Flevopolder_Larserbos.jpg  The typical intent of making a polder is to pump the water out to make dry land agriculture possible.  Quote:

This usually means that the polder has an excess of water, which is pumped out or drained by opening sluices at low tide. Care must be taken not to set the internal water level too low. Polder land made up of peat (former marshland) will sink in relation to its previous level, because of peat decomposing when exposed to oxygen from the air.

But what if you simply let the polder be filled with fresh water and put a solar roof over it?  (Or even a greenhouse roof).  Fresh water is less corrosive than sea water droplets dispersed into the air.

In the nighttime the solar roof will act as a radiator and condensate may collect on the interior surfaces of the roof.  This could be a useful product by itself.

However, if you also associate this covered polder with thermal energy storage, you may do several things.

When surge electric power might be available you might use a heat pump to generate liquid or compressed air, and dump the heat into the bottom water of the polder.

In the previous post I suggested a maximum of 90 degF.  (32.2222222 degC)  This would tend to also heat the surface water to a very similar temperature.

But when you wanted to expand liquid air or compressed air, you could draw this heat out to do that, and while the bottom waters could go all the way down to 0 degC (32 degF), the top water could remain much warmer, and you could have a condensation process on the underside of the solar roof or greenhouse even if the water at the bottom was very cold.

The water itself might support some kind of aquiculture, maybe more chemical in nature.  Obviously the organisms used would have to be tolerant of the changing thermal conditions of the body of water, but the surface water may be more moderate in its thermal changes.

Many may be skeptical of solar in northwest Europe, and that could be justifiable, but this solar panel roof could also serve as a freshwater condenser, and so partially pay for its existence by the production of condensate water.  The existence of a solar energy component in the North Sea Grid may be helpful even if solar output is relatively low.  The roof also may help to exclude external life forms that may consume or damage the products farmed within.

----

I hope to be able to translate the above to other environments, such as the wind powered interior of the North American Continent, and also Mars, in some altered forms.

I recall reading about Prairie Ponds when I was young.  This article is very good, and shows how to make a permeation resistant bottom in such ponds.  It is said that you could dig beneath such a pond and find dry soil.  I did not previously know why, now apparently, I do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wallow
Quote:

A buffalo wallow or bison wallow is a natural topographical depression in flat prairie land that holds rain water and runoff.

Though thriving bison herds roamed and grazed the great prairies of North America for thousands of years, they left few permanent markings on the landscape. Exceptions are the somewhat rare yet still visible ancient buffalo wallows found occasionally on the North American prairie flatlands.

Originally these naturally-occurring depressions would have served as temporary watering holes for wildlife, including the American bison (buffalo). Wallowing bison that drank from and bathed in these shallow water holes gradually altered their pristine nature. Each time they went away, they carried mud with them from the hole, thus enlarging the wallow.[2] Furthermore, the wallowing action caused abrasion of hair, natural body oils and cellular debris from their hides, leaving the debris in the water and in the soil after the water evaporated. Every year debris accumulated in the soil in increasing concentration, forming a water-impenetrable layer that prevented rain water and runoff from percolating into the lower layers of the soil. Ultimately the water remained for long periods, which attracted more wildlife. Even when stagnant, the water would be eagerly drunk by thirsty animals.[3]

Buffalo wallows are also made by the Asian water buffalo and the African buffalo.

So, I think it could be done artificially with the proper substances.

So, then you put a roof over it and you have something similar to what I suggested for polders in Holland.

So now on  the Great Plains where there may be wind power of great value you may have a water recycle method.
And you may also involve solar, not just wind.  And I have previously suggested similar for the Great Salt likes interior.  Possibly the Bonneville Salt Flats as well.

----

For Mars, no to wind, most likely, I think but solar is possible, but a bit of nuclear will also be desired for dust storms and seasonal issues.

https://endmemo.com/chem/vaporpressurewater.php
Surface water 20 degC?  Then 23.2977 mbar.  The weight of the solar roof may be enough to hold that pressure.
Surface water 33 degC?  Then 50.1792.

And I suppose if you wanted to expend the material effort you could go for 333 mbar, and humans might survive at the surface of the water.

While Mars does not have wind, it does have a strong day/night thermal cycle which may be of value.

Done

Last edited by Void (2023-12-27 17:45:58)

Done.

#27 2023-12-27 17:50:06

Void

On the question of solar panel covered canals again.  There would be a difference between the compass orientation of sections of a canal.
In one extreme, if it is a total north/south section then an East/West covering may do well in early and late of the day.  And if a total East/West section of the canal, then perhaps a face of solar that rather faces the Equator or to a degree the noon sun height of winter.  Probably the north side without solar panels, but still a protective roof.

The different segments may average out over the day filling in the low productivity spots of one another.

In these cases, we may also have light reflected from the ground, and also from clouds that may be assistive in some degree.

And of course, grid power might be used at times, and that could include wind power.

And I would have no problem with some sort of a hydrocarbon burning to get past tight spots in the thermal situations.  If one used 10% only of Hydrocarbon burns to expand air, I would still call that a win.

Navigable canals?  Well maybe someday that scale of it.  Probably too small to start with, however.

Done

Last edited by Void (2023-12-27 17:54:33)

Done.

#28 2023-12-29 09:37:10

Void

I am going to move and expand this material at: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 38#p217838 {Index» Terraformation» Worlds, and World Engine type terraform stuff.}

Last edited by Void (2023-12-29 09:43:07)

Done.

#29 2023-12-29 10:13:51

Void

Some may cringe at the claims of this article, but this topic is about emerging technology: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savinga … 46b07&ei=3
Quote:

Breakthrough Discovery in Perovskite Solar Cell Stability Unveils Path to More Durable, Efficient Energy Harvesting
Story by Ava Chen  •
1h

I think that Australia has every reason to like solar panels.  So, there are places on the planet where they may be of good value.

Done

This video is also in that article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6cmcq … b_imp_woyt
Quote:

Breakthrough paves way for mass-production of ultra-efficient perovskite solar

The Electric Viking

Done

Last edited by Void (2023-12-29 10:18:10)

Done.

#30 2023-12-29 17:38:09

Mars_B4_Moon

I agree with it and don't let energy go to waste, you need to store energy and a lot of electric demand happens in evening after work hours, Solar can work but not areas of low flux or low radiance or repeating cloud weather patterns or long winter, not Japan not Scotland not Canada and not New Zealand I think the entire of Russia is out? If I remember where the NASA environment sat readings of solar flux map looks good Spain, Australia, Dutch Guiana, Chile, Mexico, California USA, Texas USA, Arabia, Greece, India, the Sahara Africa, parts of China, Turkey, Iran, New Mexico maybe, Florida USA, New Mexico and other Us States, maybe Hawaii? Cuba, Madagascar Africa and you might need to protect equipment, there might be local conditions where your panels will be damaged by such as dust storms, Monsoon, Hurricane etc.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-12-29 17:39:48)

#31 2023-12-29 17:41:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure, we can use solar with reflective gain to bring it back up to full strength but how much area is dependent on where for surroundings.

#32 2023-12-29 20:57:26

Void

I beg your pardon!
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … ORM=VRDGAR
Well we might just get the Moon in the end but it is too soon to know that.

I know that you are a provider and endure suffering Spacenut.  Glory on to you for all that.

As per solar, it is possible that the hardware will increase in capability and drop in price.

Tesla Bot and other robotics may cause it to drop in price.

Can I promise you that Gretta can ride Unicorns over Rainbows?

Well no.  She may need to figure out how to do that herself.

Done

Last edited by Void (2023-12-29 21:15:06)

Done.

#33 2024-01-05 09:36:26

Void

I like this one: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … 5c87&ei=20
Quote:

Solar panel breakthrough harnesses wasted light to boost efficiency
Story by Anthony Cuthbertson  •
1d

Quote:

cientists have discovered a way to significantly boost the efficiency of solar panels by harnessing previously unused parts of the light spectrum.

A team from Shanghai University of Engineering Science in China found that a glass-ceramic material could be placed over solar cells as a transparent layer in order to convert ultraviolet (UV) light into visible light.

The material has the added benefit of providing a layer of protection for next-generation perovskite cells that suffer from degradation under strong light.

Query: "How much of the suns spectrum is UV light"
https://www.who.int/health-topics/ultra … #tab=tab_1

So, I don't know how the glass-ceramic material works with UVC, UVB, and UVA.

Quote:

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation covers the wavelength range of 100–400 nm, which is a higher frequency and lower wavelength than visible light. UV radiation comes naturally from the sun, but it can also be created by artificial sources used in industry, commerce and recreation.

The UV region covers the wavelength range 100-400 nm and is divided into three bands:

UVA (315-400 nm)
UVB (280-315 nm)
UVC (100-280 nm).
As sunlight passes through the atmosphere, all UVC and approximately 90% of UVB radiation is absorbed by ozone, water vapour, oxygen and carbon dioxide. UVA radiation is less affected by the atmosphere. Therefore, the UV radiation reaching the Earth’s surface is largely composed of UVA with a small UVB component.

The amount of UV radiation from the sun that hits the Earth’s surface depends on several factors, including the sun’s height in the sky, latitude, cloud cover, altitude, the thickness of the ozone layer and ground reflection. Reductions in the ozone layer due to human-created pollution increase the amount of UVA and UVB that reaches the surface. This can impact human health, animals, marine organisms and plant life. In humans, increased UV exposure can cause skin cancers, cataracts and immune system damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet
It is said to be 10% of the sunlight, before being filtered by atmosphere?  (Maybe 12%?)

But it has more energy per photon than visible or infrared.  But the conversion process is likely not 100% efficient.

Still, improving the mass to energy ratio is going to be a good thing.  Also, the protection perhaps offered, can that be used in window glazes?  If UV can be converted to wavelengths that photo-life can use then that could be a benefit, particularly if it is also protective of that life.

If so, then this may greatly expand the possibility of greenhouses on Mars.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-05 09:53:36)

Done.

#34 2024-01-09 09:58:48

Void

This is a sort of chemical agriculture: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … 57a8&ei=24
Quote:

Chinese scientists transform coal into efficient animal feed protein
Story by Can Emir  •
1d

Various Carbon containing materials exist in space and on Mara.

I might dream of harvesting the CO and Oxygen in the Martian atmosphere in very small amounts, and somehow playing a game with it, but of course working with CO2 may be a more practical pathway.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-09 10:00:58)

Done.

#35 2024-01-10 08:56:33

Void

The Saying is "Talk Is Cheap", but over time, some things work out.  I hope this will:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani … 95ae&ei=17

Quote:

'Interesting:' Tesla CEO Elon Musk Intrigued By Microsoft's New Battery Composition With 70% Less Lithium
Story by Anan Ashraf  •
5h

It seems possible to me that over time, with enough inventiveness, we will reach the top of a hill, and all the sudden have vast new potentials available.  At least I hope that.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-10 08:58:58)

Done.

#36 2024-01-17 20:27:44

Void

This is very nice: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technol … 41d29&ei=4
Quote:

Texas startup delivers landmark results with ‘earthen’ battery technology: ‘The opportunities … are significant’
Story by Rick Kazmer • 14h

So, water does not compress that much, but if there were bubbles of gas in the fractured rock then that may in part explain the energy storage.

Maybe even the rock itself is shifting up and down a bit.

Quote:

“We have cracked the code to provide the perfect complement to renewable energy, yielding reliable alternative baseload in a manner that is cost competitive with lithium-ion batteries and natural gas peaker plants,” Sage CEO Cindy Taff said in the release.

Maybe this would work on Mars as well.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-17 20:31:25)

Done.

#37 2024-01-18 12:15:24

Void

This is a nice one, I believe the Germans lead this innovation: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … r-AA1n6oin  Quote:

Game-changing solar power technology to get first US installation: ‘Valuable land is almost completely preserved’
Story by Jeremiah Budin • 6h

Image Quote:
AA1n6hHK.img?w=534&h=298&m=6
Quote:

Game-changing solar power technology to get first US installation: ‘Valuable land is almost completely preserved’
© Provided by The Cool Down

Some of my thoughts on this:
-This allows solar to be closer to where sufficiently watered lands will exist, while not using up too much of the land.
-This allows air cooling of the solar panels which will be important in summers and also hot climates.
-This can use light reflected from the ground and from clouds.  In the winter snow reflections may add a significant amount, I think.

I think this method tied to the energy storage method of the just prior post, might be rather good, as to supply a steadier stream of energy to a grid.

Done

It is to occur in Vermont, so I would imagine you are interested Spacenut.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-18 12:25:25)

Done.

#38 2024-01-18 15:17:58

kbd512
Administrator

Void,

They're fracking and then using fractured rock to use geothermal energy.  At least someone is starting to get the idea that if you want to use low density intermittent energy, then you have to use truly abundant and low-cost, almost "in-situ" materials to generate and store that energy.  Everyone is calling anything that stores energy a "battery" these days.  This company intends to dump electricity into a subsurface water reservoir, in order to generate heat and pressure to drive a turbo-electric generator.  How is grounding out an electrical cable inside a geothermal well equivalent to "cracking the code" on mass energy storage?

I'm quite sure this can be done, but how are they arriving at their 70% efficiency figure with an electric-to-thermal-to-electric energy conversion cycle?

#39 2024-01-18 19:51:16

Void

kdb512,

As I read the article, I was surprised that they seem to say they are using compressed water, and then also adding heat to help it expand.

I have to presume that either air bubbles are being compressed and expanded in the liquid or the rock strata has just a little bit of bend in it and it flexes.  That seem strange to me but from the article it seems that they have something.

I am glad so see that there may be some hope for some instances of solar and maybe wind energy that may help people live better.

Done

If it is bubbles, I wonder if you could pump sugar and yeast down into a fracked well and inflate a massive number of compressible bubbles in the matrix?

Hurray for fracking that the devil children tried to kill.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-18 19:54:26)

Done.

#40 2024-01-19 11:22:40

Void

Here is this again, a very good achievement, it seems: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/ne … i-BB1gX5W0
Quote:

New Material Harnesses Wasted Light to Make Solar Panels More Efficient

Scientists have developed a glass-ceramic material that can convert ultraviolet light

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-19 11:23:41)

Done.

#41 2024-01-19 17:03:54

kbd512
Administrator

Void,

I'm still trying to figure out "what they've got".  Geothermal heat can raise the temperature of water to its boiling point to generate steam directly and air pressure from heated air could force it to the surface, you can use a secondary actual compressible fluid, such as air, for the thermal power transfer (hot water to hot air or CO2 or any other gas that's non-corrosive), or you can store compressed geothermally heated air and expand it through a power turbine.  What I don't get is why you need or would want to use electricity to do that.  Run the pumps using the heat in the ground.  If you nee / want to store extra heat, then do that directly so you don't automatically lose 65% of the energy from the Sun from the word "go".  You could generate electrical power as the final output because that would be useful, and it makes a whole lot more sense than going through two energy conversions to arrive at that same final output.  The description of the process in the article is a confusing explanation, so my misunderstanding of what was meant is another possibility.

I spent some time on this because I really like the idea, I simply fail to understand how two energy conversions nets a 70% overall process efficiency.  I think someone is being "creative" with their math.  Photovoltaics lose 75% of the input power from the Sun.  You then dump the heat into the trapped water or air, and then there are losses associated with that, and finally after you consume the heat to turn it back into electricity, power is lost again.  I do see the process as a way of "putting heat back into the ground" rather than losing it to space, since the photonic energy is mostly rejected.  Basically, this looks like a way to "reheat" the planet's interior / crust, so that you can continue to draw gobs of thermal power from the ground.  I'd never really thought about that before, but it makes good sense.

#42 2024-01-19 20:29:08

Void

Well, here is the article again: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technol … 41d29&ei=4

The two videos, particularly the 1st one seems to indicate that in part they created an aquifer by fracking and they are able to make it swell up when they force pressurized water in, and then the aquifer contracts when the let the water out to run a turbine.  But they seem also be dealing with geothermal and also the storage of heat.

I am not going to say that there is no bollonium in this, but we will see.  If they have the magic carpet then the money will fly to them, or they will be clubbed to death and have it hidden or stolen.  Most likely they will get their fair return, I think.

So, they talk of mechanical method giving a return of .7 for in input of 1.0.  But for thermal storage, they claim a return of 2.0 for an input of 1.0.  I am sure that that is a picked number, that there are various situations.

What attracts me in Minnesota is we are not very good at all for geothermal, but the mechanical method may work well, and yet in the winter we could pull heat from the water and push cold into the well.  In the summer we could do the opposite.

I am open to further information.  It sounds good, but we will see.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-19 20:37:56)

Done.

#43 2024-01-25 11:38:04

Void

Well here is a nice thing, I feel: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … r-BB1hboQF  Quote:

Scientists make groundbreaking discovery that could secure our food supply using technology — here’s how it works
Story by Tina Deines • 5h

The Method apparently could be done locally at farms.  This suggests perhaps using solar power in the daytime to me.  That would make it even better.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-25 11:41:37)

Done.

#44 2024-01-27 17:11:52

Void

This is a nice one: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technol … r-BB1hjMfu
Quote:

Forward thinkers develop innovative ’40-meter pizza’ that could revolutionize the future of farming: ‘We need to provide food security’
Story by Leslie Sattler • 11h

I think this one is rather big.

Quote:

This “40-meter pizza,” as von Herzen calls it, allows the seaweed to soak up nutrients from deeper, cooler waters while submerged and then be lifted to receive sunlight, as reported by the Guardian. The seaweed grows up to three times faster than seaweed that stays on the surface.

“We could change humanity’s relationship with the ocean, from extraction to regeneration,” von Herzen told the news outlet.

The idea of dragging seaweed on a cable existed previously I believe.  I think that this is better than that.

I suggest that if some of the seaweeds were subjected to pyrolysis, to generate hydrocarbon fuels, the ashes may contain nutrients fished up from the lower layers of the Ocean.

And I have read that charcoal can beneficiate poor soils.  This apparently was done historically by the exiting people in the Amazon.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-27 17:19:13)

Done.

#45 2024-01-27 19:42:59

Void

I have had this in my mind for a long time and have reviewed it a number of times.  The previous post has prompted me to put the idea here.  We can see if it is any good.

8PbhKOX.png

I would suggest putting this under a seaweed farm.  See the just prior post for what the seaweed farm is about: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 23#p218823
Quote from the linked article:

Of course, to store carbon long-term, seaweed must sink (or be incorporated into certain products) after harvesting. Von Herzen estimated that 20-40% of the seaweed crop breaks off naturally and sinks, locking away carbon.

“We can measure the seaweed that sinks down from the platform,” von Herzen told the Guardian. “But we need to provide food security and ecosystem regeneration, so that we can regenerate healthy ecosystems on land and in the ocean for future generations.”

I suggest reducing that loss.  Instead make it available to fish in the fishbox as food.  Fish offal will also make fertilizer.

I have shown sized holes in the box.  This is to favor some fish over others.  For instance, to avoid carnivores and favor herbivores perhaps.

Of course, the offspring of big predator fish could get into the box, and feed on the fish you want.  You may want predatory robots to take them out of action when they become a problem.  The robots would be in the box.

You may get fish for food, but the leftovers and some of the seaweed can be subjected to solar pyrolysis to generate hydrocarbon gasses and liquids and much of the nutrients may stay with the charcoal, if it is done properly.

Charcoal buried in gardens and fields. may take a long time to mobilize back into CO2 in the atmosphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta
Quote:

Terra preta (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈtɛʁɐ ˈpɾetɐ], literally "black soil" in Portuguese) is a type of very dark, fertile anthropogenic soil (anthrosol) found in the Amazon Basin. It is also known as "Amazonian dark earth" or "Indian black earth". In Portuguese its full name is terra preta do índio or terra preta de índio ("black soil of the Indian", "Indians' black earth"). Terra mulata ("mulatto earth") is lighter or brownish in color.[1]

Homemade terra preta, with charcoal pieces indicated by white arrows
Terra preta owes its characteristic black color to its weathered charcoal content,[2] and was made by adding a mixture of charcoal, bones, broken pottery, compost and manure to the low fertility Amazonian soil. A product of indigenous Amazonian soil management and slash-and-char agriculture,[3] the charcoal is stable and remains in the soil for thousands of years, binding and retaining minerals and nutrients.[4][5]

Terra preta is characterized by the presence of low-temperature charcoal residues in high concentrations;[2] of high quantities of tiny pottery shards; of organic matter such as plant residues, animal feces, fish and animal bones, and other material; and of nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, zinc and manganese.[6] Fertile soils such as terra preta show high levels of microorganic activities and other specific characteristics within particular ecosystems.

The Fishbox, will probably move up and down in the water column so I am not sure which types of fish will tolerate that, but I think it likely that some kind will.

I hope it works something like I think it might.  Good luck.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-27 20:44:02)

Done.

#46 2024-01-28 03:59:10

Void

As an amendment to the just prior post, wind and thermal batteries could be used to do pyrolysis on organic matter.

So cloudy climates may in the case of wind prosper in the notion.  Soils can perhaps be improved.  So, this could be true around the North Atlantic shores.

There does remain the question of what could "Fish Boxes" be made out of.  Well, I guess that can be figured out.

I am sure the pox of verbal and violent people who wish to become royal by turning Americans into surfs will work to stop it.  But they will not be able to stop it on a planetary basis.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-28 04:01:40)

Done.

#47 2024-01-28 04:03:38

Void

Here is something for health improvements for the aging populations: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/ … r-BB1hj9Fq  Quote:

T cells can now be reprogrammed to slow down and reverse aging
Story by Eric Ralls • 22h

We may be exceeding what natural selection has programmed for us.  That is good.

I am not too worried about excessively long Healthspan's leading to long life spans.  Probably the longest average life span might end up as 1000 years.  In that amount of time it is expected that a person on average will be killed by some form of accident.

A 1000 year life span would be assistive in humans traveling to other star systems.  A 100 year trip might be acceptable in that case.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-28 04:08:25)

Done.

#48 2024-01-28 07:43:53

Void

This seems to be good news: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets … r-AA1j0FgC  Quote:

New study shows steep decrease in renewable energy costs with no signs of slowing: ‘Technological progress provides a ray of hope’
Story by Sara Klimek • 2h

So, with all that electric potential, pyrolysis of organic mass should be facilitated.  That coupled to the materials of this prior post: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 23#p218823, may have many benefits to the human race.

Forms of charcoal with nutrients from the ocean depths, may revitalize and fertilize farmlands.  CO2 will be sequestered for a time in that charcoal.  Various Hydrocarbon fuels will be made available for use.

The Nutrients in the lower layers of the oceans have been off limits up until now.  This changes that.

It is sort of a good dream I think.

Fish Boxes as I have mentioned also in a prior post may also be featured, but they don't have to for this to work: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 26#p218826

However, the soil improvements that the people in the Amazon did feature fish and other bones added to the soil.
Here is an article about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

So, Biochar has already been looked at for CO2 sequestration.  Here is an article about it: https://www.american.edu/sis/centers/ca … 20of%20CO2.  Quote:

Potential Scale and Costs
The potential and cost of using biochar at large scale remain somewhat unclear. One recent expert assessment estimates that biochar could sequester 0.5–2 billion tons of carbon dioxide (GtCO2) per year by 2050 at a cost of $30–120 per ton of CO2. A second expert assessment estimates a global potential of 1.8–4.8 GtCO2 per year at costs of $18–166 per ton of CO2, but about half of that potential would depend on purpose-grown biomass rather than waste biomass. The broader academic literature envisions sequestration rates between 1 and 35 GtCO2 per year with estimates of the cumulative potential ranging from 78–477 GtCO2 this century. Further research is needed to refine global and regional estimates of biochar’s cost and potential.

But their assessments may not include the side benefits of Hydrocarbons produced and also the beneficiation of soils including moving nutrients from the ocean depths into those soils.  The value of those benefits may be very large.

Making Biochar may also be a batch process which could fit well into intermittent types of energy, as to provide a electric load or solar load that can be turned on somewhat at will.

Here is more about biochar: https://eco-act.com/uncategorized/bioch … tion-tool/

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2023/1 … ate-change
Quote:

When added to soils, biochar sequesters carbon in the soil for centuries. The study finds that, theoretically, if the total amount of crop residues generated by agriculture …

So, I think that may thread the needle.

In the case where ocean biochar brings nutrients back onto the gardens and fields, then the need for chemical fertilizers may be reduced and this also may reduce energy consumed to do chemical fertilizations.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-28 08:14:06)

Done.

#49 2024-01-28 09:38:11

Void

I think the previous post is a very good hope.

Done

Done.

#50 2024-01-29 15:51:06

Void

Ocean Farming Video: https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … ORM=VRDGAR  Quote:

What is the Blue Revolution?
YouTube
Atlas Pro
624.6K views
Dec 21, 2020

So, again Mariculture>Destructive Distillation>(Hydrocarbons & Biochar & Food>Nutrients to land.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-01-29 15:53:29)

Done.

Board footer