New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-04 21:07:04

COLONIZE MARS

Re: human mission - MARS

WANN KOENNEN DIE ERSTEN MENSCHEN ZUM MARS?
WIRD DIE MISSION AUS WIRTSCHAFTLICHEN GRUENDEN ODER
AUS ANDEREN GRUENDEN DURCHGEFUEHRT?
big_smile

#2 2003-11-05 06:35:28

Gennaro

Die leute an diesem Board sind gew?hnt auf Englisch zu schreiben. Wenn nicht alle die Mitteilungen verstehen k?nnen, w?rde es einfach nicht ganz h?flig andere Sprachen zu ben?tzen. Ich schl?ge vor dass Sie weiterhin auch so tun, wenn es m?glich ist.

Zu die Fragen:

1. Wir in Europa oder Amerika, vielleicht zusammen, k?nnen es so in zehn Jahren machen. Es ist alles eine Frage von der politische Wille (die leider jetzt im grossen f?hlt).

2. Die Mission muss von die Staatsmacht durchgef?hrt werden, glaube ich. Es kostet doch vielen Milliarden Dollars. Wirtschaftliche Kr?fte fordern Profit und Geld ist bei Natur konservativ, es sucht sicherliche Investierungsm?glichkeiten.
Damit nicht zu sagen dass die Wirtschaft unwillig zu folgen werde, wenn einige Grossm?chte Mars und die Weltraum im allgemein er?ffnet hat.

Freundliche Gr?sse und willkommen!
Gennaro

#3 2003-11-07 07:46:18

TJohn
Banned

Could we have a translation?

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#4 2003-11-07 11:04:21

Euler

Online translator

It is not perfect, but usually you can understand what people are saying.

#5 2003-11-08 14:04:07

Gennaro

Oh, sorry!

COLONIZE MARS was asking when the first people might be sent to Mars and whether it would be done as a private enterprise venture or on other grounds.

This is about what I wrote, but since I'm not from Germany myself, bear with me, because I'm translating from a language that I just barely can make use of to a language not my own:

People on this board are used to write in English. If not everyone can understand the messages, it's not really polite to use other languages. I suggest that if possible, you henceforth do so as well.

About the questions:

1.) We in Europe or America, perhaps together, could do so in 10 years time. It's all a question of political will (that sadly is essentially lacking today).

2.) I believe the mission must be carried out by the state. After all, it costs many billions of dollars. Private enterprise demand returns and money is by its very nature conservative, it seeks safe investment oppurtunities.
That's not to say that private enterprise would be unwilling to follow if a few super powers have opened up Mars and space in general.

Kind regards and welcome!

Gennaro

#6 2003-11-08 22:07:21

RobS
Banned
Website

Who says all the threads here have to be in English? Why? It looks to me that there's plenty in English already. So let the German flourish as well. Qui veux utiliser francais? C'est possible aussi. Le besoin de visiter Mars est international, n'est-ce pas? L'effort devra internationale, n'est-ce pas?

-- RobS (whose French is not so good)

#7 2003-11-09 06:48:46

Rxke

Do not agree. Ik denk niet dat er veel mensen mijn gezever zouden begrijpen, mocht ik in het nederlands beginnen schrijven.

('i don't think a lot of people would understand my drivel, if i started writing in dutch')

Not everybody likes it, but English is the 'lingua franca' of the net. You could argue about using other languages, but where do you end? Gaelic? Fries? With all due respect for these languages, but it would become an incomprehensible mess in no time.

I can read or at least partially understand about 6-7 languages, but i'd hate it to constantly having to reach for another dictionary in order to understand what somebody tries to say.
On the other hand, i regularly feel frustrated for not being able to express myself as fluidly in English as in my mother-tongue, i know i'm not the only one. And we non-natives tend to 'lose' in discussions for the lame fact we just can't express ourselves as nuanced as the others. That's sometimes a real pain in the posterior...
But still. If pilots use English internationally, it's for a good reason, methinks...

#8 2003-11-09 10:15:53

Gennaro

Who says all the threads here have to be in English? Why? It looks to me that there's plenty in English already. So let the German flourish as well.

Well, maybe I went too far here. Just took for granted that English was the correct norm on this forum. On about every board I've been to there have been guidelines of this sort. That individuals should not chat away in their native tounge etc, but perhaps that have never applied here.
My mistake in such a case.

After all there's a practical significance to it. Pretty sure no one would understand me if I tried to use Swedish, for example.

#9 2003-11-09 13:59:14

RobS
Banned
Website

Other than "in my own language," you have me stumped. A romance language; doesn't quite look like Catalan or Portuguese, but I don't know them; not Romanian, I think. . . .

#10 2003-11-09 18:59:57

atitarev

??????! - Privet ("Hello", here's my attempt to post a word in Russian Cyrillics)

Ochen' khorosho, chto kto-to pytayetsya raznoobrazit' forum raznymi yazykami, ya napishu po-russki. No kakoy smysl? Na kompyuterakh ispol'zuyetsya v osnovnom angliyskiy. Yesli ya napishu kirillitsey po-russki, bol'shinstvo dazhe ne uvidit pravil'nyy russkiy text iz-za kodirovki. Poetomu pishu latinskimi bukvami, nekotoryye nazyvayut etot sposob "Runglish" (RUssian + eNGLISH). Ya soglasen, dlya tekh, u kogo angliyskiy ne rodnoy, tomu trudneye vyrazhat' svoi mysli, no zato my mozhem uchastvovat' v mezhdunarodnykh forumakh i v forumakh na rodnom yazyke. Yavnoye preimushchestvo!

It is very good that someone is trying to diversify the forum with different languages. I will write in Russian. But what's the point? If I write in cyrillics in Russian, the majority won't even be able to see the proper Russian text because of encoding. Computers use English by default. That's why I wrote in Latin letters, some people call it "Runglish" (RUssian + eNGLISH). I agree, for those whose first language is not English, it is harder to express one's thoughts. However, we can take part in international forums and forums in our language. It's an obvious advantage!
:;): :;): :;): :;):
I think, if we start settling other planets, the internationalization will become even more commonplace. To support individual languages, say on Mars, special measure will have to be taken.

WANN KOENNEN DIE ERSTEN MENSCHEN ZUM MARS? - WHEN CAN THE FIRST PEOPLE COME TO MARS

Je fr?her, desto besser - the sooner, the better. :laugh:

Anatoli Titarev

Board footer