New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-16 08:01:48

Exir
Banned

Re: New Space Race - will it accelerate the humanmarsmission?

Will so called "New space race" Accelerate the Human Mars Mission? Vote!  smile I personally think competition will arise from the New Space Race, and I think that will quicken the pace of the Human Mars Mission. Share Your Ideas

The best way to go to mars is by international cooperation
                                                                                --Me

#2 2005-04-16 09:36:45

Commodore

The moon will have a quicker and more visible return.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#3 2005-04-16 13:57:52

Fledi

If there will be a space race it will accelerate things. I figure that's why you call it a race.

#4 2005-04-16 16:49:26

RobS
Banned
Website

I don't see much of a space race, but I do see an advance of technology to the point where the number of players has greatly increased, from six (US, USSR) to five (US, Europe, China, Russia, Japan, India). Nations compete for prestige. Putting something in Earth orbit puts you in one "club"; putting up a human puts you in another; sending something to the moon or Mars puts you in another club. The "Moon Club" is becoming popular. We may see other nations join it as well (Brazil? Indonesia? Canada?) and then landing something unmanned on the lunar surface becomes a new "club," then landing people there. . .

-- RobS

#5 2005-04-16 17:04:07

MarsDog

http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/ … .htm]World Missile Chart

Next would be to hide missiles in space. Just think of North Korea launching a sleeper missile that US was suspicious of and lost track of behind the Moon.

#6 2005-04-17 20:18:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

well since there is little of a chance for a space race from other nations; then why not have one amongst  u.s. providers to see which has the right stuff to get us there.

#7 2005-04-17 21:38:04

GCNRevenger

http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/ … .htm]World Missile Chart

Next would be to hide missiles in space. Just think of North Korea launching a sleeper missile that US was suspicious of and lost track of behind the Moon.

Um, it wouldn't stay "behind the Moon" if it were in Lunar orbit and if it were there, there wouldn't be any way for NK to send the launch command.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#8 2005-04-18 15:58:10

Grypd

I went away and thought about what it would take to get a real space race started.

One way I thought to get many countries and organisations involved in a race to space and the Moon and Mars is for one or more country to withdraw from the outer space treaty and announce its intention to actually claim the area around the bases it would create. This would spur many other countries into getting to the Moon etc just so that it can claim areas for national interest. Of course this would not happen for many years but in the case of national interests it could happen.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#9 2005-04-18 19:45:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

limit the area of claim to a specific distance from each lander and it must be marked out clearly for others to see from orbit.

#10 2005-04-18 20:04:09

Commodore

Near term space wars are impossible, and the moment you put borders up there thats exactly what will happen.

For the forseeable future any resources exploited will be to directly support further exploration.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#11 2005-04-19 09:45:56

Palomar

*Hi, welcome to New Mars.  I voted "Depends."  Lately I haven't followed the private sector much, but I do recall Burt Rutan (in a video interview with him last year, shortly after the success of SpaceShipOne) expressing the desire to go to Mars; he apparently has plans in the works to get there (others here are probably more knowledgeable than I about Rutan and etc.).  That seems quite unlike the motivations of others involved in the private side of things, who seem content to remain in LEO provided they make a profit.

I can't imagine why anyone would NOT want to go to Mars, but lately I feel folks like me are in the minority, with other space enthusiasts all to willing to stampede to the Moon.
That's enough said; I don't want to rehash points already made or start up a big debate (we've other threads established for that).

My 2 cents' worth. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#12 2005-04-19 10:07:12

Dook
Banned

I checked the Scaled Composites website and there are a couple of single stage to orbit ideas they are working on but nothing about a mars mission.  That doesn't mean Burt isn't working on the idea though.

Anyone think he can do it?

#13 2023-11-02 12:34:42

Mars_B4_Moon

I don't think the Chinese are racing, slow steps perhaps but sure steps.

maybe an old thread worth talking about again now that China and India are out there, Russians appear to be going backwards.

India's Chandrayaan-3 moon lander kicked up a 'halo' of dust visible from space
https://news.yahoo.com/indias-chandraya … 53752.html

ISRO chairman S. Somanath pens autobiography, wants to inspire people chase their dreams
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ … 456911.ece

Chinese Astronauts Harvest Space-Grown Lettuce and Tomatoes
https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-astr … 10790.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-11-02 12:36:45)

Board footer