New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2004-05-03 16:49:41

deagleninja

Re: What the heck is taking so long? - Red Planet In Red Tape

And another thing....I have yet to see a serious plan anywhere that takes us from where we are now, to a starting colony capable of growing. Everyone seems to be working on just a part of the problem, not to slight anyone's effort.

Bill- How small a payload are we talking for a converted russian missle? The $500 per pound price.

#102 2004-05-03 17:41:02

Ian Flint
Banned

Um...deaglen...nn...ninja, sir?  [Ian Flint enters with head bowed in fear.]  I have a plan...its...its not a comprehensive pla-  [deagleninja slams door in Ian's pathetic face.]

Morons!!!  I work with MORONS!!!  [deagleninja pulls hair from already balding head.  He looks down and notices a memo sliding under the door.  With an annoyed look, he picks it up and reads.]

Inter-office Memo:

Financial Plan for the Colonization of Mars

As Einstein once said, "Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe."  In the right hands, compound interest can be used for the colonization of Mars.

$30 billion is a good round number to start a seed fund.  This seed fund will be invested in the world economy and actively managed.  About half the interest will be plowed back into the fund to help it grow, while the other half will be spent on the Mars colonization effort.  Using only a portion of the interest from this account will practically eliminate the financial risk of this endevour.  Thus, reaching Mars will be a gaurantee.  The only variable will be time -- How long will it take to turn half the interest of 30 billion dollars into a successful Mars colonization effort?

That's the easy part; the hard part is getting the initial $30 billion.  One way to do this is to sell 30,000 one-way tickets to Mars for one million dollars each.  This is a tough sell, possibly the toughest ever.  Since the time horizon is variable (meaning - most probably - long), the tickets should primarily be sold to large, stable companies that will be around when the time comes to send a colonist.  One possible selling point among others would be the defacto ownership of land on Mars just because your representative lives there.  Defacto eventually becomes official which translates into lots of money down the road.

The time horizon above was described as long, but according to conservative estimates it could only take 50 to 60 years to get all 30,000 settlers to Mars.

For more specific detail of this plan, please see Ian Flint, cubical 176, floor 14.

#103 2004-05-03 17:53:24

Bill White

Shitl - really that is the name.

One link is http://www.spacetoday.org/Rockets/Plows … .html]here - $111,000 for a launch. Yes that is thousands not millions.

Futron http://www.futron.com/pdf/FutronLaunchCostWP.pdf]claims it costs $211 per pound to LEO.

Its subsidized by the Russian Navy which cannot afford to practice fire their SLBMs. We cannot build a long term plan on spare Russian missiles yet note that Russia just isn't selling too many of these.

NO DEMAND EXISTS.

#104 2004-05-03 19:32:14

clark

deagleninja, complaining about NASA or the military war machine dosen't bring us any closer to Mars either. But at least we can say we complained.  :laugh:

I like puzzles, and getting to Mars is a puzzle. If we know what the problem is, what's the solution?

What I have been asking, to dumb it down a bit, is how does one, "sell Mars"?

Pretend you're on the north pole, selling refrigerators to the Eskimo's, how do you do it? Where is Mundaka?  big_smile

Deagleninja, I hope you haven't taken too much offense here. Just wanted to make sure I was being heard. You're right on the money in many regards, but the problem is bigger than any one point, or any single person.

We simply stand at a cross road of what we are capable of doing, and what we are willing to do. Our challenge, us land lubbers, is to help many of the others cross the treshold. smile

#105 2004-05-03 22:38:16

Calmguy

Clark, your opinions are absolutely common sense, I agree with that. However, in my opinion, what we should worry about here is not a delay to the colonisation/exploration or whatever of Mars, but the fact that our government is about to dump $229 billion in a program with very little scientific benefit. Sure, the general public doesn't really care when we get to Mars, but NASA will be getting the money in any case, it is simply a question of where the money goes over the next 16 years: Returning to the Moon, or the first steps to the eventual colonisation of another planet? I say take the latter while we know we have the chance.

#106 2004-05-04 05:37:27

deagleninja

Ian how did you know I'm balding? :angry:
I have seen that damn memo several times damnit! Bring me something NEW!! (thanks)

Thanks Bill for the links and info. I know that payloads this size are not going to get people to Mars, but they do provide legitamacy to aspiring space-interest groups.

Clark, I know that complaining about our military doesn't get us any closer to Mars either, but I need to vent from time to time or I will literally explode. And don't worry buddy, I don't take offence to what any of you small minded drivel spouting pinheads have to say. Do as I say, not as I do damnit!

#107 2004-05-04 08:24:13

Ian Flint
Banned

Wow, deagleninja...

Did you just give us all a group hug? ???

#108 2004-05-04 09:44:49

deagleninja

LOL, you'll get no hugs from me! Now get back to your cubical before I get mad again!! :realllymad:

#109 2023-11-02 09:48:46

Mars_B4_Moon

Almost 20 years ago people expected NASA to be on Mars already

perhaps worth bumping, the politics angle

China’s next moon mission aims to do what no country has ever done. Its space ambitions don’t end there
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/04/chin … index.html

What’s Next for the India-Russia Strategic Partnership?
https://thediplomat.com/2018/06/whats-n … rtnership/

the world of late seems more hostile

Money for war less money for exploration

U.S. Space Force chief urges universal rules to keep China in check
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aerosp … a-in-check

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-11-02 12:58:41)

Board footer