New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-09-27 12:01:04

tahanson43206

Baton Style Rotating Space Habitat based on RobertDyck Large Ship size

This topic is a spin-off from the Large Colonization Ship topic created and managed by RobertDyck.

The Baton style was shown in the movie Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.

This topic is offered to provide a focus for development of a baton shaped rotating habitat for Earth Orbit.

(th)

#2 2023-09-27 12:03:12

tahanson43206

Re: Baton Style Rotating Space Habitat based on RobertDyck Large Ship size

Here is a link that Bing found, showing the Discovery One spacecraft in the movie Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/pUmYB … 200-80.jpg
pUmYB9sZGPcuRkAhT2M9eD-1200-80.jpg

The spherical shaped habitat module is one of many possibilities for this topic to consider.

(th)

#3 2023-09-27 12:53:13

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I propose that we christen this ship, "Baton Rouge".

#4 2023-09-27 17:59:02

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o … _Louisiana

The history of the region goes back at least 8000 years.

I think a sponsorship might be possible.

I know nothing at all about Baton Rouge, so this Wikipedia article is my first introduction to the city.

History of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pierre Le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville provided Baton Rouge as well as Lakes Pontchartrain and Maurepas with their current names.

The foundation of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, dates to 1721, at the site of a bâton rouge or "red stick" Muscogee boundary marker. It became the state capital of Louisiana in 1849.

Prehistory
History of Louisiana

By year
    Pre-statehood
    U.S. Civil War
    Post-Civil War
    Topics: African-Americans - Cities - Politics

Human habitation in the Baton Rouge area has been dated to about 8000 BC based on evidence found along the Mississippi, Comite, and Amite rivers.[1]
Earthwork mounds were built by hunter-gatherer societies in the Middle Archaic period, from roughly the 4th millennium BC.[2] Proto-Muskogean divided into its daughter languages by about 1000 BC; a cultural boundary between either side of Mobile Bay and the Black Warrior River begins to appear between about 1200 BC and 500 BC, the Middle "Gulf Formational Stage". Eastern Muskogean began to diversify internally in the first half of the 1st millennium AD.[3] The early Muskogean nations were the bearers of the Mississippian culture which formed around AD 800. By the time the Spanish made their first forays inland from the shores of the Gulf of Mexico in the early 16th century, many political centers of the Mississippians were already in decline, or abandoned, the region at the time presenting as a collection of moderately-sized native chiefdoms interspersed with autonomous villages and tribal groups.[4]

Colonial period

If there is a member of the forum who can comment, please do.

If there is someone not already a member who would like to comment, see Recruiting topic.

(th)

#5 2023-09-27 20:07:27

Void

The activities of https://www.vastspace.com/

I normally stay out of your large ship topics, but for me this is an exception.  I am very interested in Vast Space.

I will say also that what I have read about spin gravity is that it is thought that multiple sessions in a short arm centrifuge can do much good for people tested with continuing bedrest.  So, the point is you may not need that much spin gravity for the whole ship.  I am not saying that you should not have strong spin gravity, just that it seems that with the possible option of a short arm centrifuge, you might have less.  The point about that is it may liberate some of the constraints, that otherwise would apply to how you fashion your ship.

I'm not telling you what to do, rather I am pointing out that options may be possible if they help release other difficult requirement that must go with a higher spin gravity for the ship itself.

If you don't care to care then fine, I have no dog in this fight the saying goes.

This article has some materials that might be of interest, some about the Moon as well: https://www.science20.com/robert_invent … how-176169

If you had a low base gravity from the spin of the ship, perhaps you could get people to Mars in reasonable health with the additional use of a centrifuge.

If would like me to bug out, I can, no hard feelings about it either.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-09-27 20:33:10)

Done.

Board footer