New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2002-06-12 09:15:42

Palomar

Re: The State - Rosseu's "The State" & How it applies

Me:  If that's so, then everyone is on a "high horse." 

Clark:  Some are, and when I meet them, I call them out too. It's like the Screaming Sermon people who yell at you for not believing what is so fundamentaly obvious and true to them- you are doing it too (not as bad, and much more skillfully)

*Hmmmm.  For a man who embraces Derrida's philosophy of Deconstruction (i.e., "nothing's wrong, nothing's right, nothing's good, and nothing's bad"), you sure have some strong opinions.  smile  Perhaps you are projecting a bit of your own self onto me?  I'm simply sharing and stating my opinions and viewpoints, like everyone else here.

I have a reading assignment for you!:

Pages 927-984 (chapter "This is John Galt Speaking"), _Atlas Shrugged_ by Ayn Rand.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#52 2002-06-12 10:08:05

clark

Re: The State - Rosseu's "The State" & How it applies

*Hmmmm.  For a man who embraces Derrida's philosophy of Deconstruction (i.e., "nothing's wrong, nothing's right, nothing's good, and   nothing's bad"), you sure have some strong opinions.

Deconstruction dosen't disallow opinions, it only requires that we acknolwedge that no viewpoint is any more correct than any other viewpoint. I may not agree with you, but that dosen't make you "wrong" and it will never make me "right". So what's left is to understand how people arrive at their opinion, how they justify it to themselves- I voice a strong opinion specfically to understand others, and myself, better.

Take Bill for example, we have had some rather strong "discussions" where we both occupied some rather extreme positons (I am or course applying a value wink ). While I cannot agree with everything he has said, I find I can at least understand why he says it- where he is coming from so to speak.

I'm simply sharing and     stating my opinions and viewpoints, like everyone else here.

To be fair, this tangent began when you started discussing Reason as a better substutite to Religion- I guess you could say I have a problem with you saying "better" and now I am asking you to justify your position...which has forced you to make me justify my own... I'm having fun, if nothign else. I want to thank you for allowing me this opportunity to flesh out some of my silent viewpoints. Thanks.

big_smile

Board footer