New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-08-22 15:24:07

Q_Jones
Banned

Re: Baby Steps - What can the common person do?

Okay, so there's this lofty goal of getting to Mars. And we all have different levels of intelligence and resources - so clearly all contributions can't be equal.

But the truth is, getting to Mars (in our lifetime) won't discover itself. Someone's got to work on it.

I believe that the trick is to get as many people as we can working (either directly or indirectly) towards the goal. And certainly things will proceed more quickly with active help than with less help.

Frankly, how useful is eating doritos at a computer, reading about this stuff? More needs to be done. So my question is ... what can the 'common man' do to speed the process?

See, the thing is, people contribute in three ways.

They produce/make/design/sell a product which advances technology. For example, people work at Dell labs making superior computers. Cool.

People buy/rent technological products. Think about flat screen computer monitors. Clearly, they are an advancement of technology. But, this technology wouldn't have been produced without people buying them.

People pay taxes. The government then uses some of that money to field research. Universities are a good example, lots of the money for them comes from the government. Unfortunately, the government never has enough money to do everything people want it to do. Ultimately, sacrifice needs to be made in some area. If you want to change government spending, then people need to suffer. New roads and health care or landing someone on Mars?

Because of the last two contributions, people are more useful than you'd think. The only problem is when people don't fall into the last two catagories. People who make minimum wage and then buy McDonalds and pay rent don't really advance technology. They kinda do, because McDonalds pays taxes on their profits, but the people don't directly contribute.

The problem with each person is that we're slowly consuming non-renewable resources. The food we eat means that the rainforest is being burnt down (to grow cows/coffee/etc). The gasoline we burn can't easily be replaced. Our styrofoam cups slowly take up landfill space. If we burn all our non-renewable resources before we can replace them with another technology, we (humanity) are sunk.

What's funny about the government is that some of their expenses could be reduced. If people didn't water their back lawns, then the government wouldn't have to spend so much money processing water. If people didn't commit crimes, then we wouldn't have to spend so much money prosecuting and incarcerating criminals. Etc. Smoking is a funny one, because of the cancer. The gov't spends gads of money treating cancer patients - but, cancer research usually has other, useful, applications.

But really, what do YOU contribute? And what can be done to increase the average contribution among us?

#2 2003-11-04 14:31:36

Hazer

The War on Red Dirt!

You know what I'm doing to help get humanity to Mars?  I'm going to college to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
I always liked designing stuff-so I decided to enter a field that would let me bring designs to life.  Hah.  Again I say HAH! smile

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#3 2003-11-04 17:35:51

Shaun Barrett

Mechanical Engineering, eh?
    Nice one, Hazer! We'll certainly be needing people like you on Mars.

I don't know what "HAH" means, exactly, but if it's a sign of enthusiasm ... I'm with you all the way!
    On to Mars!!
                                                 cool   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2003-11-05 01:05:04

Hazer

Yep, someone has to build all that lovely hardware you guys talk about.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

Board footer