New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-05-15 16:05:10

louis

Will you be able to run faster on Mars?

I was just thinking about a Mars Olympics...and the issue of whether we can run faster on Mars came into my head, possibly not for the first time.

What do you think?

Assume this is an indoor event.

Running, like walking is a kind of falling forwards. With less gravity, does that mean that actually we fall forwards more slowly? Do our leg muscles have to work harder to overcome the slower fall? But is it a lot easier for the leg muscles to do that in 0.38 G

If we can run appreciably faster on Mars I think that would be a great PR coup - the sub 9 second 100 metres...the 3 minute mile...It would make news back on Earth.

I'm guessing the long jump and high jump records could be broken.

Call them Solar System Records rather than world records?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2021-05-15 17:04:20

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Will you be able to run faster on Mars?

Records would be easily broken but the only way to know what truly happens is when people get there and live there and do their own version of Earth Sports, perhaps the spacesuits on the Lunar surface were restrictive or maybe it was the 'soil' or maybe there was little traction on the feet with less gravity that made them move different. If you look at the Apollo astronaut footage they were more comfortable doing a skip or two leg bunny hop, you could comfortably Moon hop and travel much better if you moved like an Aussie kangaroo. Personally I think people are doing to be too busy trying to keep a colony alive than trying to put on some Olympic sports event. Throws of Discus Javelin, the Weight Lifting, Gymnastics would be showing super-human cookbook super hero style feats, the Moon is not Mars, the Moon has no air but Mars has a thin atmosphere, the Moon has gravity 16.6% that on Earth's surface or 0.16 while Mars is a little over one third or 38% of that of Earth.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-15 17:07:51)

#3 2021-05-16 07:24:51

louis

It should definitely be possible to break the high jump record.

Basketball is likely to be played early on - a vigorous and entertaining non-contact indoor sport. But I think the hoops will have to be set higher and a ball with more mass may be necessary.

Mars_B4_Moon wrote:

Records would be easily broken but the only way to know what truly happens is when people get there and live there and do their own version of Earth Sports, perhaps the spacesuits on the Lunar surface were restrictive or maybe it was the 'soil' or maybe there was little traction on the feet with less gravity that made them move different. If you look at the Apollo astronaut footage they were more comfortable doing a skip or two leg bunny hop, you could comfortably Moon hop and travel much better if you moved like an Aussie kangaroo. Personally I think people are doing to be too busy trying to keep a colony alive than trying to put on some Olympic sports event. Throws of Discus Javelin, the Weight Lifting, Gymnastics would be showing super-human cookbook super hero style feats, the Moon is not Mars, the Moon has no air but Mars has a thin atmosphere, the Moon has gravity 16.6% that on Earth's surface or 0.16 while Mars is a little over one third or 38% of that of Earth.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2023-08-04 07:20:16

Mars_B4_Moon

Kangaroo Robots?

China’s Chang’e-7 Will Deploy a Hopper that Jumps into a Crater in Search of Water Ice
https://www.universetoday.com/162653/ch … water-ice/

Board footer