New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-29 14:53:39

Bill White

Re: Robert Zubrin's testifies - PDF file here

Robert Zubrin's Senate testimony was reproduced here in a pdf file. The server appears down. I will try again later.

#2 2003-10-29 15:10:34

clark

Here is the full testimony, in html:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10817

#3 2003-10-29 15:39:19

Bill White

Was there any question and answer session?

#4 2003-10-29 15:45:41

clark

Good question. If there was, it's not contained in the 'prepared remarks', which is what the html link contains.

I would be interested in finding out though...

#5 2003-10-29 15:49:39

Bill White

Sean O'Keefe's vision:

Imagine a time in the not too distant future.

The world, from scientists to schoolchildren, is continually abuzz with excitement over discoveries and achievements made throughout the solar system by teams of human and robotic explorers. Robots roll, crawl, fly, and wriggle into every nook and cranny on the planet Mars, going where astronauts cannot, in the search for ancient and present life. Astronaut scientists at Martian outposts direct this robotic search and analyze specimens, reasoning in ways robots cannot, to understand the history of life on our sister planet.

Closer to home, astronaut engineers troubleshoot construction problems as robots assemble and maintain constellations of space-based observatories in Earth's neighborhood. These observatories provide breathtaking images of continents and oceans on Earth-like planets around other stars and unprecedented precision in understanding and predicting the global cycles of our home planet.

At the edges of our solar system, robotic divers plunge the watery depths of Jupiter's moons, mapping dark oceans and illuminating their potential inhabitants. Streaming video is sent back to Earth from these and other locations, allowing researchers and the public to experience the exploration of new worlds firsthand.

The space systems necessary to enable this vision, such as enhanced power and propulsion, intelligent robotics, high-bandwidth communications, lightweight materials, and modular and reusable components, have driven cutting-edge research in key sectors such as information technology and nanotechnology. Private industry and government employ these tools to benefit the economy, homeland security, and national security. The peaceful application of American technology is credited with opening the solar system frontier for humanity, and the United States has gone down in history as the nation that made the biggest scientific discovery of all time, life beyond Earth.

This is the future of space exploration if we faithfully implement the vision and strategy laid out in the NASA Strategic Plan. I sincerely appreciate the forum that the Committee provided today to highlight the NASA Vision and Strategic Plan, and I look forward to the opportunity to respond to your questions.

#6 2003-10-29 15:58:38

clark

Or, if you want everyone who testified:

http://www.nasawatch.com/#current

TESTIMONY OF RICK TUMLINSON
FOUNDER, SPACE FRONTIER FOUNDATION
BEFORE THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON COMMERCE, SCIENCE AND TRANSPORTATION
Wednesday, October 29, 2003

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10821

The Testimony of Dr. Wesley Huntress, Director, Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10815

Testimony of Sean O'Keefe at Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee Hearings: "Future of NASA"

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10816

Enjoy!  big_smile

#7 2003-10-29 17:37:07

dickbill

Zubrin is an excellent Orator !

#8 2003-10-29 19:37:30

Shaun Barrett

Zubrin is not only an excellent orator, he's a visionary.
    And he's not only an orator and a visionary, he's a practical, intelligent, well-educated, energetic and passionate man.
    People like that come along but rarely in history and, as often as not, are ignored by their contemporaries. Then historians of a future time look back and sigh: "If only ... !"

I hope and pray from the bottom of my heart that America's ploitical leaders will respond to Zubrin's call. Out of the present darkness of chaos, indecision and downright self-serving pork-barreling which characterises the U.S. space program, his shining logic and practicality are a beacon.

Go Bob !!    cool

[ Incidentally, his address to the Senate Committee completely neutralised the Moon versus Mars debate. We can have both at the same time!
  In addition, my confusion about winged space planes and capsules is at an end. If Dr. Zubrin recommends capsules, that's good enough for me!
                                                   smile  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer