New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-27 22:39:06

Alt2War

Re: The call of mars. - what calls me there

Rugged Individualism.

In the 'Global Economy' I am required to build and refine a very specialized skill-set to live comfortably.  I would prefer to be more broad.  I would prefer to have more of my fate in my hands.

New Beginnings.

In nature, one creature can fill a niche so well as to exclude any alternative from growing and evolving. 

I believe there are different ways for humans to survive.  Ways that promote equality and compassion.  Ways that are sustainable. 

I do not believe that here on earth any other culture or structure can compete with capitalism and consumerism. 

With enough distance and time, perhaps a new way for humans to live could sprout, take root, and eventually flouroush.

Diversity.

In nature Diversity is strength.

Survivability.

I would like to see sentient minds of human descent remain in existance for the duration of this universe.  It would be a beautiful thing if it could.

The first big step is moving off this planet and onto another.

Beauty.

Because it is.

For a new direction.

So much effort is put towards distruction.  Nations go to wars just to obtain identity and purpose.  Mars could offer the same rewards with much less suffering.

Poetic Justice.

Mankind could spend it's adolescence as a sentient race grossly removing life from it's life rich homeworld, and spend it's adulthood creating and nourishing life on a dead one.

Time.

We may run out of it.  We should go while we still can.  You never know what the future may have in store for us.

Perspective.

It's possible that having humanity span two worlds might change the way many of us see ourselves and our environment.

Posterity.

It would be a wonderful gift to give the future.

Dignity.

It would be a task we could all take pride in.  Dignity is essential to a healthy socoety.

Fear

I have seen what man can do to other man.  I fear them and wish to get as much distance from them as i can.

Greed.

Those that go first will live a defining adventure in the course of humanity.  I desire to be one of them.  Failing that I desire to live through their experiences vicariously.

Solitude.

I could dig some time alone.

#2 2003-10-28 07:04:55

dickbill

Survivability.

I would like to see sentient minds of human descent remain in existance for the duration of this universe.  It would be a beautiful thing if it could.

Hi ALToWAR,

I understand your post is not specifically about evolution, but since we are discussing it in the life thread, may I ask what is your beliefs or opinions about the theories of evolution.

Do you believe in Darwin's 'survival of the fitest' , also called 'survival of the surviviest' by Darwin's oponents ?

#3 2003-10-28 11:27:19

Alt2War

Survivability.

Hi ALToWAR,

I understand your post is not specifically about evolution, but since we are discussing it in the life thread, may I ask what is your beliefs or opinions about the theories of evolution.

Do you believe in Darwin's 'survival of the fitest' , also called 'survival of the surviviest' by Darwin's oponents ?

Yes, Survival of the fittest, essentially.  I am sure there are parts and pieces to the theory that still need work, but nothing so drastic as to conclude that divine intervention is required.

Have you ever looked into Memetics?

Meme: an information pattern, held in an individual's memory, which is capable of being copied to another individual's memory.

Memetics: the theoretical and empirical science that studies the replication, spread and evolution of memes

I believe that Plant and Animal life evolves somewhat similar to ideas and human knowledge.

For example, you could follow the course of Christianity, and watch as the Ideas changed over time to better flourish in the environment.  Not by the direct and concious effort by any individual or group of individuals, but instead directed by what works and what does not.

Board footer