New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2023-04-22 18:33:05

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Home Solar System to Achieve Energy Usage Offset

SpaceNut,

Keep your oil furnace unless you have a means of replacing what it provides.  If you have no better way to generate home heating when the grid goes down, then getting rid of it is a mistake.  If you don't need to use it, then don't use it.  If you do need to use it, then at least it's there for you to use.  Only someone completely divorced of the consequences to you and your family would propose doing such a thing.

I read the following comment on YouTube.  I'm paraphrasing, but I think it applies here:

A wise man once said there are four ways to spend money.
1. You can spend your money on yourself, guaranteeing best value and best choice.
2. You can spend your money on someone else, guaranteeing best value but not necessarily the best choice.
3. You can spend someone else's money on yourself, guaranteeing best choice but not necessarily best value.
4. You can spend someone else's money on someone else, guaranteeing neither best choice nor best value.
The 4th way of spending money is how our government spends our money.

#102 2023-04-22 19:47:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

KBD512 old furnace is junk not repairable in any shape or form since most of the duct work is rooted out. Replacing an old oil-fired furnace plus with a new one typically costs $2,000-$5,000 for a simple installation of a basic model, but it can cost $6,000-$10,000 or more for a larger, more energy-efficient unit with a difficult installation via a contractor but it can be done for less.

In either case reducing the amount of energy to heat would be something that would lessen that cost to make use of long term.

By the way my son has an oil-fired boiler with hot water base board heating with hot water exchanger, and it cost too much, so he bought a pellet stove to heat with using just 3 ton for the winter. Thats by far cheaper than oil or electrical.

Pellet stove would be in my basement since that is the chimney access point so that would not work as already proven out with wood stoves.

#103 2023-04-22 21:07:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #102

Thanks for additional information about the oil furnace.  You had said it was not working in the past, but you have added new information.

I'm not sure how we can help you to get moving on this situation.  kbd512 offered his unique perspective, which seems (as I read it) to be to do nothing.

I am trying to help you to overcome whatever inertia that is keeping that furnace in your house.  You might even be able to find someone to remove it at no charge, in return for whatever copper or other metals they might be able to recover.

You had indicated you can install new duct work.

You indicated there may be duct mountable electric heater/fan units that could send warm air upstairs.  That would not heat the house, but it might be able to help you keep the upstairs at 50 degrees evenly, which you've indicated is the New Hampshire tough-it-out temperature.

It would be good to see some progress in this particular area.  You've certainly impressed me with your mechanical skills and persistence in dealing with automotive challenges.

Removal of the old furnace would free up some space in the basement, and give you at least the opportunity to think about the best next step.

In another topic, Calliban very recently spoke of using iron oxide in Great Britain to hold stored heat that is fed into the home overnight.  I sure would be interested to know how that particular material would compare to brick, which I had suggested might be stacked inside old ovens as a heat store.  Perhaps iron oxide would be even more capable of storing thermal energy.

(th)

#104 2023-04-22 23:15:06

kbd512
Administrator

kbd512 said:
Keep your oil furnace unless you have a means of replacing what it provides..

That seemed reasonably self-explanatory to me, but perhaps those words mean different things to different people.

tahanson43206 said:

kbd512 offered his unique perspective, which seems (as I read it) to be to do nothing.

What part of the very first sentence of my reply indicated that nothing should be done?

SpaceNut said:

KBD512 old furnace is junk not repairable in any shape or form since most of the duct work is rooted out.

Does that mean the old furnace is actually "junk", or that the duct work to pipe the heat from the furnace, into the upper floor(s) of your home, is non-existent?

tahanson43206 said:

I am trying to help you to overcome whatever inertia that is keeping that furnace in your house.

What good would SpaceNut getting rid of his old furnace do for him if the actual problem is not having usable duct work and he can't afford the thousands of dollars of installation and purchase cost for a brand new furnace?

#105 2023-04-23 06:19:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re situation ....

It appears you are receiving counsel from your Junior Admin to keep your existing furnace.

You are definitely receiving counsel from your Junior Moderator to begin the process of helpful change by removing the old furnace.

You have clearly stated on multiple occasions, going back years in this forum, that the furnace is no longer operable or repairable (in your judgement).

This is a situation that will give you an opportunity to make a decision.  The default is to follow the advice of your Junior Admin, and do nothing.

I expect you will do nothing, but am not sure one way or the other, so look forward to any further news from the furnace front.

In any case, thank you for providing an opportunity for something to happen.

(th)

#106 2023-04-23 13:01:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

The basement is very moist and galvanized steel will and does break down over time. The duct work will need some to make it useable, but the furnace is a loss even for getting rid of as it's not going to fetch salvage money and may actually cost to remove it. The oil tank will need to be inspected before making use of it as well.

In either case insulating the basement interior and exterior of the cinder blocks would be the first step to increasing how warm the home would remain in winter for the least amount of money.

So what size do the numbers I have calculate to for a furnace of a given BTU or what kwhrs would that be equivalent to.

https://www.flightpedia.org/convert/140 … ts-kw.html

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/ene … o_kWh.html

oil consumed to BTU
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/uni … lculators/

https://www.rasmech.com/blog/boiler-for … culations/

Wow I gave a mention of this but did not know it was that high if not higher.

These ‘energy vampires’ could be sucking your wallet dry: ‘As much as 20% of your monthly electricity bill’

Certain appliances — refrigerators, for instance — need to stay plugged in and turned on. But others — coffee makers, televisions, and many more — can easily be unplugged when not in use.

#107 2023-04-24 06:57:46

Steve Stewart
Website

SpaceNut, I'm not sure what it is you're needing to calculate. If you're looking for BTU's needed per square foot of house, here is a climate map for the USA. This is just an estimate, it's dependent on how well a house is insulated.

6G8RYHT.jpg

Furnace Size Calculator: What Size Furnace Do I Need? (BTU Calculator)
https://learnmetrics.com/furnace-sizing-calculator/

#108 2023-04-24 07:54:48

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

If you don't address the moisture problem first, then I predict problems no matter what you put down there.  That seems like the most logical first place to spend money, prior to purchasing a new furnace that will end up in the same state as the existing one.

If you put an electrical furnace in the basement, what's going to happen to the electronics when they're exposed to enough moisture to corrode galvanized steel?

How often do you lose electrical power during the winter?

If you have to rely upon electricity from the grid to save any money, what is the duration and frequency of black-outs caused by the winter storms up there?

#109 2023-04-24 20:22:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

That is why the outside is being dug down to the footing and a bit below that so that I can correct any that is coming in from the ground water table rise in the area. Which does happen as I did the front of the house but only dug down even with the footer and had put in perf pipe and pea stone to cause a quick flow path. The front of the house is 4 ft in the ground and around the sides 20 ft towards the back it tapers off to being just 2 ft. with of course the back being just the 2 ft to dig a path for that 40 ft of the house length.
I plan to seal the outside and bring insulation to the total depth so as to reach below the footer covering all of the cement block that is in the ground as what is exposed until its turns into wood. Once the outside is done, I am then going after the inside walls of the basement to further insulate and seal the weather from entering as well as for the moisture.

#110 2023-05-20 10:38:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Watching town access channel and they are discussing a solar array building in the town. This discussion is talking about why our past 4 additional sites were deigned. In a word it was Eversource did not allow them as they did not live up to their standards as the power must connect first to their lines before it can be sent onto the grid. They also need contracts to send the power to other sellers of it. This particular site was going to sell the power to a coop company and that coop's lines do not connect to Eversource so that is a problem for the build.

here is the latest on 22023 Solar Incentives by State

Key takeaways
The federal solar tax credit gives you 30 percent of the cost of your solar system in credit when you file your taxes.
Many states offer local solar incentives you can combine with the federal tax credit.
You must own your solar system to qualify for most solar incentives. Consumers who lease solar panels will not qualify.

The federal solar investment tax credit, now known as the Residential Clean Energy Credit, runs through 2034 and offers a tax credit valued at 30 percent of the total cost of a solar system.

The federal solar tax credit was created in 2005 to make it easier for property-owners to invest in solar power. It was originally set to expire in 2006, but was extended several times. In 2020, the tax credit amount lowered from 30 percent to 26 percent and remained there through 2021. In 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act extended the tax credit through 2034 and increased the amount back to 30 percent for 10 years, with slight decreases the remaining two years.

Once your solar installation is complete, you can apply for the federal solar tax credit through the IRS. You’ll receive 30 percent of the cost of your solar system as a credit when you file your annual tax return.

What does the federal solar tax credit cover?
The federal solar tax credit, according to the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, covers:

Solar panel modules or photovoltaic cells
Labor costs, including onsite preparation, installation, permitting fees, inspection costs and developer fees
Wiring, inverters and mounting equipment
Energy storage devices, like solar batteries, with a capacity rating of 3 kilowatt-hours (kWh) or greater (applies only to systems installed after December 31, 2022).
Sales tax on qualifying expenses

To receive the 30 percent tax credit, fill out and return IRS form 5695 (PDF) after your solar panels have been installed. The IRS provides instructions to help you fill out the form correctly. Once you’ve been approved by the IRS, you will receive your 30 percent savings in the form of a tax credit when you file your annual tax return. If the value of the credit is more than you owe in taxes, you can carry the remaining amount over to the following year until you’ve received the full amount.

So much for NH but other states give more incentives.

#111 2023-05-20 11:22:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... company control of the state legislature is not unusual in United States history.  Is that why a private company has veto power over the independent initiative you described in post #110?

It seems to me that if the legislature passed laws to permit this, then replacing the legislators might allow for change to occur.

Or (on the other hand) a nice juicy lawsuit might solve the problem.

Any chance of that?

(th)

#112 2023-05-21 09:25:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

#113 2023-06-25 13:02:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not seeing any topic than this one to post content to.

Heat is battering Texas's power grid. Are giant batteries the answer?

A deadly combination: No power and extreme heat. How likely is it and is Texas prepared?

Of course, I was expecting a reduction of cost per kwhr but that appears to be another month or 2 away but it's only going to be short lived returning just in time for the winter months.

Other states are planning California’s hated electric bills will soon be based on our income. Will it work? | Opinion

Standard argument that the rich can afford to pay more....most states have electric programs that do discount along with the fuel assistance programs but are those states shift that to the others?

#114 2023-09-13 18:12:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

#115 2024-02-17 16:39:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

What Type of Solar Panels Should You Get?

As of 2021, more than half the residential solar panels installed in the US had efficiency ratings above 20%, compared with 0.6% a decade ago, according to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's Tracking the Sun report.

That low, wow.
https://emp.lbl.gov/tracking-sun-tool

I am finding that I need solar thermal as well to make my energy offset happen.

#116 2024-03-29 16:27:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

I hope the hail did not damage your system as it did elsewhere Concerns Ignited After Swath of Solar Panels Are Destroyed in Texas Storms

Board footer