New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#2876 2023-04-13 18:50:42

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

This is a follow up on #2873 .... the hand held chain saw from Walmart arrived today.  It charged to 20.5 Volts, just under the advertised 21 volts. 

Assembly was manageable.  The instruction manual (booklet) recommends removing the battery while installing or adjusting the chain.  I count that as good advice.

I'll give the new saw a test run tomorrow.  There are lots of dead limbs to be removed, and a number of branches to be cut back before they load up with leaves.

Follow up next day .... I soaked the chain in oil formulated for chain saws, and gave it a workout today.  Boy! What a neat tool!  It made short work of both dead and live limbs.  I have line cord chain saws to use on the limbs tomorrow. They are piled in the back yard for now.

I discovered that Amazon carries spare chains and spare batteries for this saw.  Apparently there are a number of vendors, and there appears to be an industry standard for a 6 inch bar and the 21-24 volt battery.

You can see the entire assortment by entering "6 inch chain saw" into Amazon (and probably other retailers).

(th)

#2877 2023-04-14 20:50:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new book by Dr. Zubrin....

The new book has arrived and I want to set up a topic for it .... There are a number of possible topics where it might fit.

Edward Heisler chose the Chat Index for his announcement of a book in 2019...

rch results
Topic    Forum    Replies    Last post
Robert Zubrin to Introduce New Book at SoCal Meeting by EdwardHeisler
Not So Free Chat    0    2019-04-15 14:11:52 by EdwardHeisler
A New Book by Dr. Zubrin "The Case for Space" can now be ordered! by EdwardHeisler
Not So Free Chat    0    2019-04-02 20:33:08 by EdwardHeisler
Pages:1
Index» Search» Topics with posts containing 'zubrin and book'
Jump to

Meta New Mars

Powered by FluxBB

I'm not excited about using the Chat Index level for this particular book ...

Update Saturday morning ... for SpaceNut .... I'm hoping you have time to think about where you want to see a new topic for Dr. Zubrin's latest book. I took a quick look at it last night, and found (among other things) a nice treatment of the moment under the stands of the University of Chicago Statium when the first atomic pile was activated by Enrico Fermi and his team.  I've read numerous other reports of this significant moment in human history, and thought that Zubrin's treatment was fresh and well worth reading. My guess is that the entire book is likely to be written at the same level.

(th)

#2878 2023-04-15 18:18:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new topic for book by Robert Zubrin ....

Hoping all is well there in New Hampshire!

I'm still looking for guidance for the best placement of a new topic for the new book "The Case for NUKES"

Video: "The First Humans on Mars" Dr. Robert Zubrin June 7, 2021 by EdwardHeisler
Mars Society International    0    2021-07-04 10:52:29 by EdwardHeisler

Dr. Robert Zubrin speech at the Space Renaissance Inaugural Congress by EdwardHeisler
Mars Society International    1    2021-07-01 14:26:41 by tahanson43206

Dr. Zubrin on Musk Plans by tahanson43206
Mars Society International    20    2020-02-23 21:25:32 by SpaceNut

Dr. Robert Zubrin to appear on TheSpaceShow.com by tahanson43206
Mars Society International    0    2019-05-13 09:54:21 by tahanson43206

AMA (Reddit) with Mars Society President Robert Zubrin by jburk
Mars Society International    0    2018-11-14 23:36:46 by jburk

Zubrin blasts Obama by Hop
Mars Society International    6    2012-10-24 18:45:55 by falkor

The Mars Society Index level might be a good fit ... above are existing topics that include the word "Zubrin"

The example provided by Edward Heisler for the Video looks like a possibility ...

Book "The Case for NUKES" by Dr. Robert Zubrin

(th)

#2879 2023-04-15 19:33:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Agreed "Mars Society International" should until it drifts into politics. Then it will get moved.

#2880 2023-04-15 20:18:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2879

Thanks for the All Clear ... I'll add a topic in the Chat Index for the politics.

Dr. Zubrin is more than able (and willing) to stir passions.

(th)

#2881 2023-04-16 14:50:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have not seen anything from James as to what was found or was the cause to the server issues.

#2882 2023-04-16 17:37:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re GW's class in development ....

Thanks for keeping an eye on that project. 

Regarding #2881 ... Hopefully we'll hear something at some point ... I would guess rollout of the new book would be taking up everyone's time at Mars Society.

Hopefully all the Admins and Moderators will be able to scare up a copy in the not too distant future.

Calliban indicated he might make the investment as well.

(th)

#2883 2023-04-18 12:18:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re GW's class ....

I have completed preliminary configuration of the first three lessons for GW's class.

Please look at them, and consider if you might be able to add tasteful images that will convey a sense of what a career in space navigation or management of a space shipping company might be like.  The course itself does NOT prepare a student for these roles, but it DOES prepare a student to take the advanced courses needed.  If a student has what it takes to complete this course (and the exercises provided) then chances are favorable that the student has what it takes to advance to the next level.

I'll be working on setting up an opportunity to pursue the next level as time permits. 

Thanks again for your ongoing support of this initiative.

Update 2023/04/20: In inquiry / announcement was posted to a web site of an association supporting TAG students.

The contact form at the association requested the organization that is offering the course prepared by Dr. Johnson, and I provided the address of the Mars Society.

(th)

#2884 2023-04-20 11:11:36

tahanson43206

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re GW's class ....

I have completed preliminary configuration of the first four lessons for GW's class.

Please look at them, and consider if you might be able to add tasteful images that will convey a sense of what a career in space navigation or management of a space shipping company might be like.  The course itself does NOT prepare a student for these roles, but it DOES prepare a student to take the advanced courses needed.  If a student has what it takes to complete this course (and the exercises provided) then chances are favorable that the student has what it takes to advance to the next level.

I'll be working on setting up an opportunity to pursue the next level as time permits. 

I am proposing the NASA sponsored GMAT program as the "next level" to which this initiative might aspire.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of this initiative.

Update 2023/04/20: In inquiry / announcement was posted to a web site of an association supporting TAG students.

The contact form at the association requested the organization that is offering the course prepared by Dr. Johnson, and I provided the address of the Mars Society.

(th)

#2885 2023-04-23 07:12:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re furnace reports in NewMars archive ...

Because kbd512 has taken an interest in your furnace, I decided to ask FluxBB to find the first post where you mentioned the furnace.

While there were numerous references to furnaces on Earth and on Mars prior to this one, this is the first post that mentions the furnace in your home:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 80#p142980

In that post from 2017, you gave a brief hint that you were investigating burning wood as an option.

I deduce that the oil furnace was not heating your home in 2017.

Details are in short supply.  What was the condition of the oil furnace in 2017?   How did the wood burning experiment turn out?

(th)

#2886 2023-04-23 11:17:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re mention of pellet heating ...

Regarding wood pellets ...

per Google:

People also ask

How much wood pellets do you need to heat your home?

The average homeowner will need 2 to 3 tons of wood pellets to heat their home annually, according to the Pellet Fuels Institute (PFI). This means 100 to 150 bags of pellets or 2 to 3 pallets of pellets each year. You’ll find many benefits to heating your home, business or commercial site with wood pellets. Heating with pellets will help you:
How Many Wood Pellets Do I Need? | Energy Pellets of America
www.energypelletsamerica.com/how-many-wood-pellets-do-i-need-to-heat-my-home/
See all results for this question

How many bags of wood pellets are in a ton?

How much space does a pellet stove use?

Can You Heat a house with a pellet stove?

energex.com › news › how-many-pellets-to-heat-your-homeHow Many Pellets Does It Take to Heat Your Home? | Energex
Dec 10, 2020 · There are 50 40-pound bags in one ton, and we recommend 2 tons to 5 tons to last you the entire heating season. This equals 100 to 250 bags. That number can change depending on some factors. Larger homes require more pellets, and perhaps even a second pellet stove, to heat adequately.

Hardwood Pellets
Many homeowners have chosen hardwood pellets as their pellet...

Buying Heating Pellets
Heating Pellets in Northeast and mid-Atlantic. Energex has...

Softwood Pellets
These top-quality pellets burn even hotter and cleaner than...

Buy Bulk Wood Pellets
Bulk Pellets Dealers Address: Phone Number: Creekside Hearth...

Heating Wood Pellets
Wood pellets make calculating your heating costs easy — one...

Where to Buy
Heating Pellets: Our hardwood and softwood pellets for...

Apple Pellets
Our pellets are not just for grilling, either. You can use...

Jim Beam BBQ Pellets
Energex American, INC. 95 Energex Drive Mifflintown, PA...

Contact Us
Energex American, INC. 95 Energex Drive Mifflintown, PA...

Buying Cooking Pellets
Our Ol’ Hick BBQ pellets will take any meal up a notch. All...

www.energy.gov › energysaver › wood-and-pellet-heatingWood and Pellet Heating | Department of Energy
You should discuss your heating needs with a reputable dealer. A good rule-of-thumb is that a stove rated at 60,000 British Thermal Units (Btu) can heat a 2,000-square-foot home, while a stove rated at 42,000 Btu can heat a 1,300-square-foot space. Wood-burning appliances and fireplaces may emit large quantities of air pollutants.

www.energypelletsamerica.com › how-many-woodHow Many Wood Pellets Do I Need? | Energy Pellets of America
Jun 28, 2018 · A ton of wood pellets comes on a pallet or skid, and includes 50, 40 lb bags. The average homeowner will need 2 to 3 tons of wood pellets to heat their home annually, according to the Pellet Fuels Institute (PFI). This means 100 to 150 bags of pellets or 2 to 3 pallets of pellets each year.

www.woodpellets.com › 20 › wood-pellet-heating-101Wood Pellet Heating 101 | WoodPellets.com Blog
Dec 20, 2019 · The average residential wood pellet customer in the Northeast uses 150-200 bags of wood pellets throughout the entire heating season. There are 50 bags in one ton of pellets, so that’s 3-4 tons. Is Heating with Pellets Environmentally Friendly? The carbon footprint of burning wood pellets can be completely neutral, or close to it.

(th)

#2887 2023-04-23 13:14:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

All good research for how one heating the home for sure. As to the wood the stove did not radiate the heat from basement upstairs, so it was not going to be and even with a blower the air was cooled too much to warm it either. No air ducting was used since it was not located where it could be put into play.

Today went to work on the lift gate and latch assembly since it did not function to restore it to a working condition without paying money and was able to get it back into a working condition with just a bit of WD-40 and work the rust out of the hinge. Of course, it meant taking it a bit apart to get at the pieces, but success is all that matters.

Took it out for a quick drive to the store and vehicle in front of me kicked up a rock putting a good length crack in the windshield. Just my usual luck as insurance for the state does not cover glass without a rider policy and usually its less than $500 for them to be replaced. The state considers this your risk for using the roads. So even if you stop the person, it's you word against there's. Not worth the conflict...

#2888 2023-04-24 06:51:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2887

Thanks for updates on lift gate work, and sorry to hear about the rock fling. 

Your prediction that you would have to pay money to have the old furnace removed seems overly pessimistic to me. It wouldn't cost any money to call a couple of outfits to see if one of them might want the metal in the device.

It seems to me that nothing is going to happen until you make something happen.  Your first report of the furnace being out (that I could find) was 2017.  Five years is enough time to let the dust settle. 

You had mentioned the possibility of installing an in-duct electric heater.  If the original air intake ductwork is still intact, then the air filter holder should still be in place.  That is information we don't have, so any report from you on that part of the system would be helpful.

If completing repairs without spending money is the challenge, then the members of this forum appear to be up to it.

(th)

#2889 2023-04-24 06:53:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Pothole scan ...;

We just crossed 209000 posts, so I'll run the Pothole Scan today.

The scan will take about 8  hours.  Last time we had a pothole count of zero. 

Update later: https://com0com.sourceforge.net/com0com/ReadMe.txt

Above is a link to documentation on how to run a Virtual Port Utility called com0com.

Update after scan .... there were no now potholes.  The scan ** did ** find the report from last month.

I will prevent that from happening again by omitting details of the run.

(th)

#2890 2023-04-27 15:03:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re serial port operation ....

This question may be a bit far from your experience, so I'm not expecting you would have encountered the situation I am about to describe.

On the other hand, your experience with electronics is deep and extends back a number of years, so there ** is ** a chance you ** have ** seen this.

I have returned to the problem of trying to run Web Browser Automation on a single computer, using a Virtual COM port instead of a hardware implementation.

I am ** so ** close to success, the fact that it still eludes me is the inspiration for this post.

Com0Com is a free Open Source Virtual Communications Utility program.  I have installed this program on a Windows 7 machine, and expect it would run on any Windows machine.

When the program installs itself, it sets up three ports recognized by the Operating System.

One of these seems to have a purpose, although I have now clue what it is.  The other ports come in pairs.

These two ports can be assigned to two different programs, and data flows between them when the programs behave properly.

I have tested Com0Com with hypertrm.exe, which was created for Windows NT, ported to Windows XT, and now I have it running on Windows 7.

Two instances of Hypertrm.exe can be set up to talk to each other via the Com0Com Virtual Port pair.

Configuration needs to be the same on both sides of the Virtual Port pair.

In this case, I set up with 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop and (crucially) no flow control.

I then set up AACKeys on one of the Virtual Pair ports, and Hypertrm on the other, and set up Notepad to receive data from AACKeys.

As a reminder, AACKeys is a utility program to assist handicapped persons by delivering keystrokes or mouse clicks to a program such as a browser.

The test with Hypertrm.exe as the source, AACKeys as the pathway, and Notepad as the receiving program was a success.

The same test with WBA as the source failed.  I suspect the code I've written inside WBA is NOT handling the flow of characters correctly. As a reminder, WBA ** does ** work just fine with hardware COM ports. 

I downloaded a demo program from CodeProject.org.  This program is called "termie".  It is available in binary form and source code.

The binary form of the program is able to send data to Notepad via AACKeys, just like Hypertrm.exe.

This means that ** potentially ** I might be able to study the source code and understand how they succeeded in passing data via the Virtual Port pair.

However, since this post is addressed to you, ** you ** may already know what needs to be done to WBA to achieve success.

If not, no harm in asking!

(th)

#2891 2023-04-30 12:20:24

tahanson43206

This is for SpaceNut ....

This post is to say ** thank you!!! ** for your leadership and management of the forum during my (now) five years here.

It seems to me that the single most significant decision you made was to close off the pathway for thousands of spammers, and under your guidance and supervision, we have converted all those spammer created ID's into prospective new members.  You've inspired (or supported) significant achievements by members, foremost of whom would surely be RobertDyck with Large Ship and GW Johnson with his Basic Orbital Mechanics course.

In addition, the forum has forged a positive working relationship with the National Space Society through their North Houston chapter.

If anyone in the active membership happens to see this post, this is a great time to remember folks like Louis who contributed in two ways I know of, and perhaps others as sell.

(th)

#2892 2023-04-30 12:54:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Of course, that member decided that all the old topics and conflictive discussion of the forum was shortly after the Ukraine Russian war had started. This was something that was a bit provoked by dredging up of older topics with the opinion of letting them die instead as being not relevant. As history repeats itself, we have found that what is old is new once more as time passes.

#2893 2023-05-02 04:33:41

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2892

In this post you may not have intended it, but I am reminded of a philosopher/guru up on a mountain, or the famous Oracle of Delphi!

There is probably some wisdom for the ages packed in there, but it is enigmatic as I read it.  It's a little gem to give readers some mental exercise!

I logged in this morning to offer a follow up to the post about RS232 and the specific challenge of persuading Com0Com to work with Web Browser Automation.

Web Browser Automation gave responsibility for RS232 communication to a 1980's era Microsoft program written to handle communication with modems.

I was able to merge that software into WBA and it has been working reliably with the hardware implementation of a serial port to serial port communication flow.

However, the 1980's era Microsoft RS232 software was unable to make the leap to a pair of Virtual Ports, as provided by Com0Com.

Yesterday, I was able to put finishing touches on a shareware communications program for the current era, called "Termie".   I downloaded the software, ran it through Microsoft's Visual Studio Code package on a 64 bit machine, and it performs beautifully in flowing characters through Com0Com to a destination Notepad. Today, my plan is to attempt to merge Termie into WBA, in hopes WBA can run with success on a modern computer without the hardware interface.

Ultimately, if this effort is successful, you could run the program on your computer, assuming you are still using one at home.  I get the impression you've moved a lot of your online work to your smart phone.

Now I'd like to see if you might be interested in a possible discussion of how to improve the home environment for active forum members who wish to participate. Forum members who are active today seem (as nearly as I can tell) to be interested (to varying degrees) in home improvement.

Terraformer carries this idea to the next level, with an interest in improvement of the circumstances of an entire community.

We have hints from various members that are in the Archive of the forum, that they are maintaining independent buildings, with all the challenges of battling entropy and dealing with supply of flows of inputs and outputs.

You've shared with us a bit more than some members, so we have a sense of the challenge of maintaining a home in New Hampshire.  Not everyone on Earth would be able to keep a home going in that particular location, but it appears you have what it takes.

As you are looking forward toward meeting the challenges of future years at the home, you've given us glimpses of possible directions you might be looking, at various times. 

It's not clear to me you've settled on a particular course of action, but you've certainly considered a wide variety of options.

In my case, I am living in a building that was built in 1927, as part of a cluster of identical homes which I assume were built by the same contractor or builder. They are all based (as near as I can tell) on a Sears House design from that period.  The roof is made of slate.  All the neighbors in the area who have this identical design have long ago replaced the slate with asphalt roofs.  However, I've chosen to keep the slate roof going, but it is becoming more and more of a challenge, since many of the 1200 (or so) tile on the roof are nearly 100 years old.  A lot have been replaced over the years.

I just replaced two last Friday, and I have another to replace ASAP.  ** That ** one is located in a part of the roof which I've not touched before, so replacing ** that ** tile is going to be challenging. 

In your case, you can (if you so choose) enlist our participation in the thought process as you address the challenges of life in New Hampshire.

We may share the same limited budget, so solutions may depend upon actions we can take without assistance of professionals.

In a recent post in another topic, Calliban just described a possible automotive application of a hot cube of material.  In this and other topics, there has been discussion of using a thermal energy store for a home situation. 

Your post in the Thermal Energy topic, showing links to web sites where home energy is discussed in depth, provides a helpful overview of the energy requirements for home heating and air conditioning.

(th)

#2894 2023-05-02 18:56:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well, the asphalt roofing tends to last just about what the packaging indicates 15 - 20 years and while metal roofs are more expensive, they do last longer. There are a few homes that have the tile or slate roofing materials but not many.

We have been in a nearly weeklong light to heavy rain daily and on Sunday evening the culvert on the other side of the road did not handle all of the water running down along the road trench. This washed that side of the road out for about 30 feet which is now a safety issue that orange highway cones now marking it for repair as well. It is not the first time, and I am sure it will not be the last for this occurrence.

#2895 2023-05-03 07:53:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2894

Thanks for picking up on the roof maintenance theme!

Because I've been in this house for 30 years, I've had the opportunity to see expiration of the asphalt roof on the front porch first hand.  A local contractor brought in a team of four folks who did a terrific job (from my perspective) of replacing the roof, including several sections of plywood underlayment that had rotted out due to my having taken too long to replace the roof. I think (as I recall) they found three layers on the roof, which would be about right since the house is about 95 years old. In any case, the porch roof should now be good for another 30 years.

The difference with a slate roof is that the repair/maintenance is done a slate at a time. There are (about) 1200 slate on the roof, and they have been failing at a random rate, so the roof now has a scattering of much newer tiles amidst a sea of really old ones.  In other words, I made a calculated bet that I could maintain the roof a slate at a time over 30 years, instead of replacing the entire roof after 30 years, as all my neighbors have done.  Replacing the roof appears to be an event that is factored into house flipping, and that makes perfect sense if the home is occupied for fewer than 30 years. I was NOT advised (and I did not figure out on my own) that the monthly budget for a home should include a pre-payment on replacement of the roof, if the home owner plans to live there 30 years.

It seems to me that a lender might include an option to add a pre-payment for a new roof, and two new furnaces, to the mortgage, as an option, if the buyer is planning to stay 30 years.  That way, the cost of the replacement would be spread out over all 30 years.

That weeklong rain was a test for your roof!  I hope it is holding up!  Does the County handle culvert repairs, or is that done by the City?

Arnold Schwarzenegger got into trouble recently.  A government agency (not sure which one) was taking too long with repairs, and they had left a hole in the pavement without a marker to indicate it should be left alone, so Schwarzenegger got a friend to help to fill it in.  Then the agency complained about the work Schwarzenegger had done and it sent out a crew to empty the hole.

In your case, the problem with the culvert is (most likely) too much for a single home owner to tackle.

(th)

#2896 2023-05-03 19:58:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Still raining and getting periods of down pours that are still causing flood waters and roadside washouts to get even larger.

#2897 2023-05-04 06:11:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2896

Nature is trying to tell your County Road Engineering department to make the water channel next to the road larger.

It will take County property taxes to pay for repairs.  As long as they are going to be spending the money anyway, they might as well take the hint.

Have you talked to anyone yet about what's needed?

Is there a property owner on the far side of the road whose property is impacted by the washout?

(th)

#2898 2023-05-04 06:22:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re WBA interprocess communications progress...

WBA works by poking data into a running browser, with the assistance of a program called AACKeys, which was developed to help handicapped persons.

AACKeys takes in commands via a serial port, and the original implementation uses a physical null modem device to permit flow of data from a physical port used by WBA to a USB created port where AACKeys is listening.

For over a year I've wanted to use a Virtual Com Port utility called Com0Com to permit operation of WBA without a physical null modem device, but I didn't have time to find an alternative RS232 interface.

In recent times I found a communications program called Termie which proved capable of sending data through Com0Com on a 64 bit machine, and subsequently I proved it could do the same on a 32 bit machine.

The next step is to integrate Termie into WBA, but Termie is written in C# and WBA is written in another Microsoft language.  This means I must learn how to integrate two programs into a Microsoft Visual Studio "solution", and I've set that goal as the objective for today's work session.

The procedure appears to involve:
1) Register Termie with the WBA Solution file
2) Implement code to call Termie from an existing button
3) Change Termie to permit public access to one or two methods at run time
4) Test and revise until everything works

(th)

#2899 2023-05-07 06:47:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new series of posts in new topic by Steve Stewart...

Please contact Mr. Burk to let him know this work has been added to the forum database, and inquire if a backup is scheduled any time in the not-too-distant future to preserve the posts.

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Steve Steward re new topic and posts!

Thank you ** very ** much for choosing NewMars forum of the Mars Society to publish your important work!

I will ask SpaceNut to contact Mars Society to request a system backup at the earliest opportunity.

Your entire publication can be distributed via a single URL to the top post of the topic.

Any NewMars member who would like to help with publicity may forward the URL to Steve's topic to news papers in the area, if any still exist, and to such other media as may be available.

The URL for distribution of this work is: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10501

Thanks!

(th)

#2900 2023-05-07 12:04:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re request by Mr. Stewart to publish in the Mars Society Papers section. The request is here:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 00#p209500

Please let Mr. Burk know the work is available for the Mars Society.

For Steve ... you are back active after an absence of some time. Here is the structure of the leadership today:

SpaceNut Senior Administrator
kbd512 Junior Administrator
RobertDyck Senior Moderator
tahanson43206 Junior Moderator

As you know, James Burk is Executive Director of the Mars Society.

Congratulations (again)
(th)

Board footer