New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-04-01 09:36:21

tahanson43206

Orbital Mechanics Class - BARD Teaching Assistant

With the approval of SpaceNut, this topic is created to serve as a foundation for a class on Basic Orbital Mechanics in development for a high school audience by GW Johnson.  This topic is set up for the traditional materials created by Dr. Johnson, using Microsoft Word, Excel and Paint.

As of 2023/04/01 I am considering posts set up for each lesson.

All materials are provided for free, and the intention is to enlist the assistance of anyone interested in helping with publicity to do so. The materials will be stored in our Dropbox account, and they will be served to students using links in this forum.

This topic is set up for a possible deployment of the class materials to be mediated by BARD.

It is NOT clear as of 2023/04/01 whether this concept is possible, let alone practical.

The intention of the initiative is to enlist BARD to help the student to "internalize" the course material.  This is a stated objective of GW Johnson's instructional materials, and BARD assures me it "thinks" it can help.  We'll see.  I have my doubts.

(th)

#2 2023-04-01 10:39:24

tahanson43206

Re: Orbital Mechanics Class - BARD Teaching Assistant

Disclaimer: a person who completed this course will NOT be qualified to pilot a space craft between Earth and Mars or anywhere else. It is constrained to the two body problem and two dimensions.  A person desiring to qualify for a position as a space craft navigator or a pilot will require additional education, including the ability to operate computing equipment capable of solving the 3 body problem in real time.

A statement of positive outcomes from taking this course is in development.  The course is designed to provide a foundation for further education in the space field.

A preliminary assessment of positive outcomes includes the ability to teach the contents of this course to others.

(th)

#3 2023-04-13 09:21:02

tahanson43206

Re: Orbital Mechanics Class - BARD Teaching Assistant

Update April 2023.... At this point, BARD has proven unready for the duties of Teaching Assistant.

BARD's capabilities will be reviewed at a later date. 

(th)

Board footer